New to the game, 1500 pt army, advice, please? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to the game, 1500 pt army, advice, please?

I'm not aiming for competitive play or anything like that; this is just a casual list, expected to run into Tyranids, Eldar, and Space Marines regularly, also maybe some Tau.

As the title suggests, I've only just bought my Codex, and everything I know about army building is from the internet. If my army is all backwards, feel free to tell me so (just give advice on how to fix it!)

HQ

Company Command - 225
    4 Sniper Rifles
    Master of Ordinance
    Primaris Psyker
    Chimera

Elites

Guardsman Marbo - xx

Psyker Battle Squad - 165
    Overseer
    8 Sactioned Psykers
    Chimera

Troops

PCS - 125
    4 meltas
    Chimera

Infantry Squad - 85
    Las/Plas

Infantry Squad - 65
    Autocannon/Grenade Launcher

PCS - 125
    4 meltas
    Chimera

Infantry Squad - 85
    Las/Plas

Infantry Squad - 65

PCS - 125
    4 meltas
    Chimera

Infantry Squad - 85
    Las/Plas

Infantry Squad - 65

Fast Attack

Scout Sentinel Squadron - 135
    3 Scouts w/ Heavy Flamers and Smoke Launchers

1 Banewolf - 1xx

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Punisher - 250
    (Heavy Bolter)
    Heavy Bolter sponsons
    Knight Commander Pask

notes:

my plan for the PBS is to use their leadership-reducing ability on a key unit, then hit it with the CCS attacks (snipers and MoO artillery). done right, it should basically force a pin in a clutch point in the battle line.

Even if Marbo doesn't survive, the amount of firepower my opponent will need to level at him to ensure he doesn't survive the turn will be well worth the 65 point spent. (especially when he's placed in 4+ cover, getting a 3+ save)

the Sentinels aren't exactly used for their longetivity; they're expected to run use their scout move, first turn move, blow smoke, and shoot after the 3rd turn (having moved 18 inches). by that point, they should be able to inflict some serious damage on troops foolish enough to get close

yeah, yeah, so the Punisher may not be the best, but it spells absolute death to MCs trashing my side of the board. BS 4 means 20 hits, 10 wounds (before saves), which means serious damage to anything, even if it's got high armor. my friend managed to deep-strike a Carnifex against my other friend. I really don't want that happening...
    and, in a pinch, the Punisher will chew up 4 space marines a turn. not too shabby, I think.

Criticism, please. Go ahead, tell me it sucks, but please tell me why it sucks...
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

HQ:
    To be hoenst Sniper Rifles arren't brilliant. Wounding on 4's is nice but the other abilities, rending & pinning, happen once in a blue moon so i'd advise going with a more reliable gun. G-Launchers are cheap and can do the same job as S-Rifles (put wounds on MCs) but they get the option to use frag against hoards. I always find if you intend the CCS handing back, givng them 2 Plasma guns is handy against drop podding marines/terminators or deepstriking big beasties.

Master of Ordinance is fun but don't expect him to hit much. He's woefully inaccurate so unless you're fighting a haord army you probably wont hit anything.

Primaris Psyker is fun but i'd only take 1 HQ at 1500pts as it leaves you short on tanks/troops.

ELITES:
    Marbo, Just put XXpts. I think everyone knows how many points he is anyway.
    Psykers are cool. I think you only need 6 psykers as you're wounding most things on 2's and minus 6 to LD is more than enough.

TROOPS:
    PCS - Very good.
    Infantry Squads. I wouldn't put plasma guns on basic infantry. The guns are too expensive and they're not cost effective on a BS3 model. Keeping the Lascannons is fine but the Squad really needs the "bring it down" order from the CCS to make it worth while. Combing squads makes good use of orders as well.

FAST:
    Good. I love Bane Wolves. I'd see about finding the points for a second though as they always work best in pairs.
    Sentinels: Suicide sentinels are pointless. Give them Autocannons so you can knock out enemy transports from a distance. they can even take on heavier tanks like Vindicators by getting on their side armour.

HEAVY:
    Lots of dakka but to be honest mate it's alot of points for not alot of death. Comapred to just a normal Leman Russ they'll do about the same wounds but the Leman Russ is cheaper. By alot. 4 Marines a turn is not a good deal for 250pts and you have Melta gun PCS for taking down Deep Stiking Carnifex etc. If you lost the Primaris Psyker you'd have enough for 2 Leman Russ Demolishers or a Demolisher and another Bane Wolf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so, what would you think about these changes?

OUT:

Primaris Psyker
    1 Sanctioned Psyker (down to 7)
    Plasma Guns on the infantry (replaced by Grenade Launchers)
    LR Punisher w/ Pask

IN:

Grenade Launchers in infantry squads (replacing the Plasmas)
    Another Banewolf
    1 Good old Leman Russ
    1 LR Executioner w/ Plasma Sponsons

Thoughts:
    if the Master of Ordinance aims into a cluster (say, seven models 2" from each other), he'll hit ~30% of the time, and wound ~25%. Over the course of a game, (say, five such shots), the odds that he WON'T hit something is pretty low (23%), and he'll land ~1.25 shells per game. oh, and that's if he's out of LOS. Being able to reduce scatter by 4" make the Master, if not reliable, at least worth the 30 pts. Also, Tyranids. I fight them. Earthshaker shells? Damned useful. Infinite range against Tau broadsides camping miles away from the battle line? Necessary.

When you run the math, the 4 snipers will hit about 50% of the time, so the odds of the CCS being able to force a pinning check is pretty damn high.

Banewolf: you're right, two sounds good. They rip through marines (even in cover!), 'nids, Eldar bikes, etc.

Executioner: yes, it's expensive, but it can crack Marines. And 'nids. And other guard. And deep-striking MCs. And basically anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(sorry, accidental doublepost)
    Last edited by honorguard; February 20th, 2010 at 02:39.

+ Reply to Thread