2 x 1500pts Space Wolves List for comparison and general ridicule - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 x 1500pts Space Wolves List for comparison and general ridicule

Sons of Russ - To be honest i'm in a little bit of a quandry, for me it's a balance of competetive nature of a list and the fluff/fun of the list. So onto the lists-

1500pts #1

HQ - Wolf Lord - Terminator Armour, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield & Wolftooth necklace - 180

Elites - Wolf Guard Lord Retinue - Termie & Twin Claws - 48
    Termie, TH & SS - 63
    Termie, Wolf Claw & SS - 53
    Termie, Heavy Flamer & Wolf Claw - 43
    Dedicated Transport - Pod - 35
    Termie WG Total - 242

- Pack Leaders - Combi melta, TH - 48
    Combi melta, PF - 43

Elites - Wolf Scouts - 5 man pack
    - melta, melta bomb & power weapon Pack total - 105

Troops - Grey hunters - 9 man pack
    - melta, rhino & power weapon Pack total - 190

Troops - Grey hunters - 10 man pack
    - 2 x plasma, rhino & PF Pack total - 220

Heavy Support - Long fangs - 5 man pack
    - 4 Heavy bolters & Heavy Bolter Razorback Pack total - 135

- 2 Missile launchers, 2 lascannons Pack total - 145

LIST TOTAL - 1498

1500pts #2

HQ - Wolf Lord - Terminator Armour, Wolf Claw, Storm Shield & Wolftooth necklace - 180

Elites - Wolf Guard Lord Retinue - Termie & Twin Claws - 48
    Termie, TH & SS - 63
    Termie, Wolf Claw & SS - 53
    Termie, Heavy Flamer & Wolf Claw - 43
    Termie WG Total - 242

- Pack Leaders - Combi melta, TH - 48
    Combi melta, PF - 43

Troops - Grey hunters - 10 man pack
    - 2 x plasma, rhino & PF Pack total - 220

- 4 Heavy bolters & Heavy Bolter Razorback Pack total - 135

Heavy Support - Land Raider - 250

LIST TOTAL - 1463

Notes -
    - Lord and retinue to go in either pod or raider
    - Raider is standard because i bought it a while ago before the suprenacy of the crusader & redemmer
    - lascannon and missile launcher mix becasue of the increased strength of the lascannon and i don't like the idea of 4 MLs, a little too min max based of you ask me plus hard to get the models.
    - Lord over battle leader because i like the idea of erik morkai
    - Thunder hammer over fist on the wolf guard pack leader becasue i was wary of the individual nature of the wolves
    - Plasma on third hunter pack because i don't want ot be melta spaming and the plasma may be useful as termie/mega armour 'rubber outers'
    - Pack leaders join the melta packs and form a forward element of the army with plasma being mid range support and the fangs being long range while the scouts cause problems and the Lord kills the biggest thing on the board.

Now then personally i like the look of the first list more due to the presence of more long fangs and the scouts - more wolfy - and the ability to drop the likes of the lord and retinue directly onto target... a little shock and awe and the scouts, unreliable maybe but puts the opposition off guard and stops the likes of tanks hiding at the back

Second list - me thinks a little more competative as the raider will be a bigger target and draw fire from the rhinos but not as much heart in the list if you know what i mean.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated even if it's just a couple of quick suggestions or yeah it's alright / no it's rubbish

cheers

matt

Grey Knight and Space Wolf blog - http://spacewolfgallery.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

They both have things I like and things I hate. I like the first list more...
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

i like the first one more, but i don't like either list to be honest. One drop pod no matter what is inside is an ineffective speed bump and you have no squad to support the long fangs, that aren't over expensive and won't dent your attacking force. I would suggest adding a squad of 5 grey hunters with a plasma gun and a WG TDA with a CML for this job and have you thought about a rune priest? It doesn't matter what you have, because a lash prince could place your strongest guys at the back of the fight and make them unable to contribute. Other psychic powers from other races are deadly and it would be nice to have a rune priest to negate them. Two more psychic powers that you should be adware of from the tyranids. Paroxysm where he can reduce a unit's WS & BS to 1. And FNP any unit. So watch out.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was pondering the rune priest recently and wondering 1) if the package is better than the lord, can't see why it wouldn't be with the majoirty of wolf players taking them, but then you loose the nasty assult unit... 2) how do i then start to deal with mega nobs, nob bikers and nasty characters? and 3) what unit would i put the priest with?

also if not the pod then how do you deploy the wolf guard... or would you ditch them along with the lord, whack in a priest, tool it up and then add a PA wolf guard squad (tooled up to be nasty) in a rhino?

thanks for the advice, much appreciated

matt
    Grey Knight and Space Wolf blog - http://spacewolfgallery.blogspot.com/

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

Rune priest for nob bikers, missile launchers, jotww and lascannons and thunder hammers. against them preferably in an objective sitting squad or podding to take out gun linie leaders like guardsmen commanders. The package is better than a lord and all grey hunters are killy assualt units. I always put the rune priests with grey hunter squds. I would spread them all over the place as bodyguards for long fangs and leaders for grey hunters. I use a drop pod force of 5. So i ahve a rune priest and 30 grey hunters roughly podding down in 3 pods anywhere i want first turn. They are of course supported by two long fang squads.

Hope that helps.

thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

+ Reply to Thread