First Time Army Build 1,500 PTS - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Time Army Build 1,500 PTS

Okay so I chose the IG because of there numbers and i played as them at my local gaming con over there weekend and now comes my first build.

The style I'm going for is the "hold the line". Lots of troops, heavy guns, and heavy support throwing everything they have at the enemy.

HQ
    CCS
    commander w/ bolt pistol
    4 vets (1 with Grenade launcher)
    Master of Ordnance

Elites

Ogryn Squad ( 1 Bone 'ead, 2 Ogryns)
    Ratling Squad (5 Ratlings)

Troops
    Platoon Command Squad
    Commander w/ bolt pistol
    4 guardsmen (1 vox caster, 1 Grenade Launcher)

Infantry Squad #1-#3
    1 Sergeant
    9 Guardsmen (1 Vox caster, 1 Grenade Launcher)
    Infantry Squad #4 and #5
    1 Sergeant
    9 Guardsmen (1 Vox caster,1 Flamer)

Heavy Weapons Squad 1 & 2
    1. Auto-cannon
    2. Missile Launcher
    3. Heavy Bolter

Special Weapons Squad 1
    6 Guardsmen (3 lasguns, 3 sniper rifles)
    Special Weapons Squad 2
    6 Guardsmen (3 lasguns, 1 flamer, 2 Grenade launchers)

Conscripts 20 plus optional 20

Heavy Support

1 Leman Russ with dozer blade
    2 Basilisk

Total
    : 1,499 PTS

Any comments please let me know, open for changes;
    the only units I actually have are: 1 Heavy Weapons Squad

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

HQ
    CCS
    commander w/ bolt pistol
    Master of Ordnance
    this is where your plasma goes, or your melta, or anything to take advantage of the higher BS. bolt pistol is a waste of points you will never remember to fire it, or you wont be in range to. Master of ordinance can work, but its really not neccessary, better points can be spent elsewhere, its a good idea to keep this squad moving anyway if its footslogging they should be in between the ranks to avoid getting killed, consider getting them a chimera even in a footslog list because he can give orders from within

Elites
    Ditch the ogryns, if you really want to play assaulty with a squad, Grey knight terminators are your guys, otherwise ditch it all together, if you want snipers then buy one squad of 10 ratlings and ditch all the special weapon squad snipers.

Troops
    Platoon Command Squad
    Commander w/ bolt pistol
    4 guardsmen (1 vox caster, 1 Grenade Launcher)

Infantry Squad #1-#3
    1 Sergeant
    9 Guardsmen (1 Vox caster, 1 Grenade Launcher)
    Infantry Squad #4 and #5
    1 Sergeant
    9 Guardsmen (1 Vox caster,1 Flamer)

1. Auto-cannon
    2. Missile Launcher
    3. Heavy Bolter

Special Weapons Squad 1
    6 Guardsmen (3 lasguns, 3 sniper rifles)
    Special Weapons Squad 2
    6 Guardsmen (3 lasguns, 1 flamer, 2 Grenade launchers)

Conscripts 20 plus optional 20
    besides ditching the special weapon squads because they are free kill points and will do you very little good, this seems ok. some people hate heavy weapon teams beacuse they are easy to kill, so consider getting some sentinels instead, this was you can tarpit units in assaults as well as lay down suppression fire. vox networks are usually a waste of points, but if your going to buy them, for god sake man dont forget to put it on your company command

Heavy Support

1 Leman Russ with dozer blade
    2 Basilisk
    basilisks are a no-no as far as im concerned, you spend most of the time firing them directly anyway, so you ought to just replace them with normal leman russes, save the dozer blades points for other vehicles as i doubt youll get your points worth on a russ.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

This is a hollow list. You have a bunch of squads, but there is almost nothing in them! Hardly any killing power! You have 5 grenade launchers, 8 snipers, 2 flamers, 2 autocannons, 2 heavy bolters, and 2 missile launchers, as well as 4 AP 3 pie plates. These units make up a little more than 1/3 of the 1500 total, with the bulk of that coming from the Heavy Support choices. The rest is about 800 points of T3/5+ save lasguns. Your HQ, Elites, and Troops are hardly contributing to your firepower. Fill them out with some nastiness, dude! There is not a single AP1 or AP2 weapon in the list!
    Last edited by slobulous; February 25th, 2010 at 09:46.
    I WANNA GET STUCK IN WIT DA BOYZ

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Try again. You say your theme is "Hold the line" with "Lots of troops, heavy guns and heavy support" but you have very little of anything. Further more, your list is illegal because you only have one Troops choice (a Platoon).

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson 666 View Post
    HQ
    CCS
    commander w/ bolt pistol
    Master of Ordnance
    Drop the bolt pistol. Master of Ordnance can work, but you sacrifice your mobility. A better idea is to use this BS4 to your advantage by spamming as many special weapons as you can here. 4 Plasmaguns or 4 Meltaguns is a good choice. If you want a static gunline HQ, get Camo Cloaks and a Heavy Weapon at least.

Elites

Ogryns are a decent counter-assault unit, but you need at least five. But when you're spending that many points, you might as well get Grey Knight Terminator allies instead. A much, much, much better use of the points. Cheaper, tougher, better in assault and better at shooting. Rough Riders are a decent, cheap and expendable counter-assault unit.
    Ratlings are the best source of Snipers, but Sniper Rifles are rubbish. They're cheap, so keep them if you like them, but they will do very little damage.

Troops
    Platoon Command Squad
    Commander w/ bolt pistol Drop the bolt pistol.
    4 guardsmen (1 vox caster, 1 Grenade Launcher) Where's the heavy weapon??

Infantry Squad #1-#3
    1 Sergeant
    9 Guardsmen (1 Vox caster, 1 Grenade Launcher) Where's the heavy weapon??
    Infantry Squad #4 and #5
    1 Sergeant
    9 Guardsmen (1 Vox caster,1 Flamer) Where's the heavy weapon??

1. Auto-cannon
    2. Missile Launcher
    3. Heavy Bolter
    Poor choice. Never mix heavy weapons because all three of these have different target priorities. Autocannons are for Monstruous Creatures and Transports. Missile Launcher is for anti-marines. Heavy Bolter is for anti-infantry. Furthermore, you should always be filling your Infantry Squads with Heavy Weapon Teams. Heavy Weapon Squads themselves are vulnerable and weak.

Special Weapons Squad 1
    6 Guardsmen (3 lasguns, 3 sniper rifles) Why bother? Ratlings do it better and cheaper.
    Special Weapons Squad 2
    6 Guardsmen (3 lasguns, 1 flamer, 2 Grenade launchers) Waste of points. You can fill your Platoon Command Squad with special weapons instead, for cheaper.

Conscripts 20 plus optional 20 Only really useful if you are using Chenkov. Drop these and get more Infantry Squads.

Heavy Support

1 Leman Russ with dozer blade Drop the Dozer blade
    2 Basilisk There are much more effective Artillery tanks out there. Medusa, Collossus or Manticore are all excellent choices.

Total
    : 1,499 PTS
    If I was doing a gunline list, sticking with your overall theme I would do something like this:

CCS: Either option
    - 4 Plasma, Chimera (ML/HF)
    - Camo Cloaks, Master of Ordnance, 2 GL, 1 ML

5 Ratlings
    5 Ratlings

PCS: 4 Melta, Chimera (ML/HF)
    IS1: AC/GL, Vox, Commissar
    IS2: AC/GL
    IS3: AC/GL

PCS: 4 Melta, Chimera (ML/HF)
    IS1: AC/GL, Vox, Commissar
    IS2: AC/GL
    IS3: AC/GL

5 Rough Riders: Hunting Lances
    5 Rough Riders: Hunting Lances

And fill the rest of the points with artillery.
    Last edited by Ravendove; February 25th, 2010 at 10:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Why this goes in the Army List subforum! We better get this cleaned up before the commissars show up.

*Calls in the ogryn to drag the thread away*

*Thread Moved*

Alzer

EDIT: Welcome to LO Crimson 666!
    Last edited by Alzer; February 25th, 2010 at 15:21. Reason: welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help guys, like I said I'm new and this is my first army to build. So with your help i redesigned the army to fit my theme

CCS: 180pts
    - 4 Plasma, Chimera w/Extra Armor,ML&HB

Elites 100pts
    -5 Ratlings
    -5 Ratlings

PCS: 4 Melta, 70pts
    IS1: AC/GL, Vox 70pts
    IS2: AC/GL 65pts
    IS3: AC/GL 65pts
    HWS: 1 Mor,2AC 70pts

Heavy Support
    1 Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ Extra Armor, lascannon, HB's 200pts
    2 Basilisk w/Extra Armor, 280pts

Total: 1,440pts

This seems better then my first draft to me, what ya guys think?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

HQ:
    Looking good. Ditch the Extra Armour though as it's far to expensive for the bonus it gives you. Also the best weapons on a Chimera are MultiLaser & H-Flamer.

ELITES:
    Ratlings are cool but they are very expensive for what they do. Sniper Rifles just aren't all that effective. I would ditch these and use the points for something more effective. If you really really want them though keep them. They're not all bad.

TROOPS:
    PCS - Good but Melta guns on foot wont get you anywhere. grab them some Chimeras so they can zoom around the board and Melt things. (loosing the Ratlings will give you the points for the Chimeras)

Infantry Squads - Fine. Be warned when combining squads together. If something, anything, charges your big blob you will loose the whole unit in one assault. Commissars give you some protection against this but all it generally does is prolong the inevitable.

HWS- Don't mix weapons in these. Just take 3 Autocannons or loose the HWS and take something else. Autocannon Sentinels are pretty good and do a similar job.

HEAVY:
    Leman Russ. Ditch the Extra Armour. Ditch the Lascannon. This guy is a troop killer so shouldn't be shooting at tanks.

Basilisks - I wouldn't bother with these. Either take another Arty piece like a Colossus or some griffons. the basilisks minimum range is a killer. You can fire directly but being AV12 and open topped you'll die to any fire coming your way. Ditch the Extra armour too.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

545 (x8)

Huge improvement!

Good stuff. Like Lord Borak said, ditch the Extra Armour. 15 points is a lot and if you get stunned the squad can still disembark and shoot. This goes for all vehicles - it's just not really worth the points. When Chimeras move (which you should always be doing, really) they can only fire one weapon - this is why everyone recommends hull Heavy Flamers. You use the ML at long range to take pot shots at enemy transports and the HF at short range if any enemy infantry gets too close.

Elites 100pts
    -5 Ratlings
    -5 Ratlings
    As we've said, Sniper Rifles in general are just not that good in 5th edition. But if you really want to take them, Ratlings are definitely the best option. It would be boring if every list was the same, so by all means keep them in for some flavour.

PCS: 4 Melta, 70pts These guys need a transport, or they will get shot to bits before getting in range.
    IS2: AC/GL 65pts Good stuff.
    HWS: 1 Mor,2AC 70pts 3 Autocannons will be more effective. Mortars are useless against Autocannon targets and vice versa.

IS2: AC/GL 65pts See comments above

Heavy Support
    1 Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ Extra Armor, lascannon, HB's 200pts Drop the Lascannon and Extra Armour. AV14 should protect you from most things and your primary targets should always be infantry with a LRBT. Go hull Heavy Flamer or Heavy Bolter, either choice is good.
    Basilisks lost a lot of 'oomph' in the latest codex, because of their 36" minimum range. There are simply too many other, better, artillery vehicles to choose from. Medusa are excellent (convert one by simply cutting down the Basilisk barrel).
    Total: 1,440pts

You've got 60 points left and dropping Extra Armour and Lascannon from the LRBT gives you an extra 30.
    Swapping 2 Basilisks for 2 Medusas gives you an extra 10 points, plus 15 from dropping Extra Armour on the CCS Chimera.
    So that's 115pts.

Buy one Chimera for each PCS and that should do the trick!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Swap the HB for a HF. Honestly I would give this unit Meltaguns over plasma. Having a CCS that can give itself BID! makes it ideal for Meltaguns.

Elites 100pts
    -5 Ratlings
    -5 Ratlings
    Waste of points. If your heart is hell bent on Ratlings, then go for it, but I would switch to a PBS.

Meltas on PCS (BS3) troops is iffy. I would go w/ 4 flamers and try to get meltas in other places (read: Vets).
    You can also slap meltaguns in your infantry squads. When I go mass infantry I run AC/melta. Yes they're BS3 but it helps against repelling tank shot spam (read: elder), which can devastate your formation. In addition, it helps if/when Dreads start dropping next to your lines.
    Don't have my book next to me, but I think a Voxes need one in the unit issuing the order (which your command squads don't have).
    Mortar HWS... 1 mortar and 2 AC. HWS are crap, but if you really want to take them then at least make it 3 AC. The single mortar is wasteful.
    Heavy Support
    1 Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ Extra Armor, lascannon, HB's 200pts
    Drop ExtraArmor, waste of points in 5ed. L
    LRBT should have either no options or Plasma sponsons (hull H.

Your list does not have a lot in the form of mobile objective grabbers, this will be a huge weakness. In addition, the only vehicles you have is a single Chimera (which will most likely be popped on turn 1, 2 if you're lucky), a LRBT which will draw so much fire it will be surprising if it gets more than 2 shots off, and 2 Basies which are rather crap compared to other options.

The list lacks focus and will most likely get spanked by a hard list that can get in close quickly.
    I suggest either going all infantry with tons of AC, melta, plasma and LC (only vehicles being indirect that can be hidden), or taking a lot more armor. You either need to have enough armor to be effective (read: overload their anti tank capacity), or not have any and therefore render their anti tank worthless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like I'm getting closer here is the updates.

CCS: 4 Plasma, Chimera w/ ML & HF 165pts
    Elites:
    4 Ratlings 40pts
    4 Ratlings 40pts
    Troops:
    PCS: 4 melta, Chimera w/ ML & HF 125pts
    IS1: AC/GL 65pts
    HWS: 3 AC 75pts

PCS: 4 melta, Chimera w/ ML & HF 125pts
    IS1: AC/GL 65pts