New player after feedback on a 1500 point Space Marine list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New player after feedback on a 1500 point Space Marine list

Ok so i have never really played 40k before but am very aware of all the fluff surrounding it and all the archetypes of units for all the different races. Decided to start collecting because a large group of friends (approx 11 people) all decided simultaneously to renew their old armies or to start collecting themselves, so i will have a lot of nice people to play against (the main reason i never started collecting before is due to the quality of people who hang out round GW stores). Initially i was going to collect Eldar as i love the fluff and models but i couldn't for the life of me make an army list i was happy with from their codex. I decided to start looking over all the other codex's and instantly found it very easy to make multiple builds which looked very nice from the SM one.

Most of the games we're going to be playing look to be about 1500 points - but it is very useful to me to be able to split into a 750/1000 point list as we will do the occasional multi-player's and our table space isn't big enough for more then three 1500 point armies to manoeuvre round.
    My opponents are:
    Jetbike Eldar list - with a nasty Seer council.
    Tank IG.
    Mixed infantry/TANK IB.
    Necron with a monolith (can't remember what else he has)
    Tau with lots of suits and no kroot. (not mech though)
    Chaos Space Marines - this guy has lots of different units to field though as he is rich.
    Tyranids mix of swarm and big critters
    Deamons - not seen what she has yet.
    Everyone else is kind of yet to commit but will be doing so shortly.

The 1500 list i came up with (after a lot of consideration) is:

Space Marine Captain
    - Space Marine Bike
    - Artificer armour
    - Relic Blade
    - Combi Melter
    - Digital weapons

Libraian
    - Bike

Command Squad

- Space Marine Bikes
    - Company champion
    - 3 Melta Bombs
    - Lightning Claw

Tactical Squad
    - 5 extra marines
    - Power Fist
    - Rhino
    - Flamer
    - Missile Launcher

Tactical Squad
    - 5 extra marines
    - Power Fist
    - Rhino
    - Flamer
    - Missile Launcher

Tactical Squad (Combat Sqaud these - so Lascannon guy stays behind/ Flamer guy goes forward with Sarge in Razorback)
    - 5 extra marines - Power Fist
    - Razorback
    - Twin-Linked Lascannon
    - Flamer
    - Lascannon

Landspeeder Squardron - Multi Melter

Vindicator

If you could pick holes in it or maybe just give better wargear advice it would be much appreciated. Also i was wanting to check the legality of combat Landspeeder Squardronsquading a 10 man tactical sqaud and putting 5 in a Razorback - my friends say it is probably ok but they do not play Space Marines and are unsure.
    Oh and so you know the 750 point variant is the 2 normal Tactical squads (same equipment) The captain (same equipment ish) and the Landspeeder.

Thanks in advance :-)

Oscar Wilde - "Work is the scourge of the drinking classes."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Hey Slug, Welcome to Librarium Online!

Please make sure to post Army List threads in the appropriate Army List subforum.

*Thread Moved*

Thanks,
    Alzer

I'm curious, as you have the option, why not use a biker squad for your troops? Your captain allows this, and it will give you a more mobile firebase with one or two squads.

Combat squading for the razorback is a perfectly legitimate strategy. The pair of lascannons should give you a solid way to zap tanks from afar.

In your command squad, consider power fists instead of meltabombs. Meltabombs are effective against vehicles, but not against walkers or Monstrous creatures, which are far more worrisome for such a squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzer View Post
    I'm curious, as you have the option, why not use a biker squad for your troops? Your captain allows this, and it will give you a more mobile firebase with one or two squads.
    Well looking at it - admittadly from a perspective of someone who's not really played it before - a 10 man Tac squad in a Rhino seems to be more points efficent then a bike squad without losing too much manoverability. Also i was thinking that a bike squad is probably something that you need a little more skill to use properly and what with me being new i thought I'd shy away from that.

Powerfists in the command squad do seem like a good idea - i will definatly shuffle some points around them and the captain to see if i can accomodate 2 of them :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

5 bikes have a surprising amount of versatilty. They may seem to be harder to use, but just think of them as faster infantry that can move and fire more freely. Look through the Topic of the Week for some ideas on bikes and units, how to use them etc. Also Red Archer has a tactica on biker armys up somewhere, maybe check that out. Besides, you do have a biked up command squad already

Dropping the meltabombs, and your captain's digital weapons, would give you enough for a power fist.

Where is your librarian going? Have you considered putting him in the razorback instead of being on a Bike?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is your librarian going? Have you considered putting him in the razorback instead of being on a Bike?
    I hadn't thought about putting him in the Razorback but i can tell you what i have planned. Librarian is going with the Captain and the command squad in one big unit. He is going to have Null Zone for sure and then possibly Curse of the Machine God (think that's what its called). Was planning on having this unit as my assault unit in the army (giving the command squad bolt pistol and CC weapon not bolt guns), the reason I'm putting them all on bikes is so that they can respond where they are needed and follow the Rhino's/ Razorback at a decent pace. Actually i have one question regarding this setup - does the feel no pain rule given by the apothocary go onto the Librarian and Captain if they join the squad? Also do you think those powers are ok for the Librarian?

5 bikes have a surprising amount of versatilty. They may seem to be harder to use, but just think of them as faster infantry that can move and fire more freely. Look through the Topic of the Week for some ideas on bikes and units, how to use them etc. Also Red Archer has a tactica on biker armys up somewhere, maybe check that out. Besides, you do have a biked up command squad already
    I read Red Archer's bike army tactica - it was very informative - and really liked the idea of taking a bike squad with an attack bike and loading them up with melta's then first turn turbo boosting them towards the opponents main tank (or whatever big thing they have) so as to draw lots of fire and maybe kill the tank next turn. If i was going up to 2000 points i would defiantly go for this.

When making this list though i decided to make it as forgiving as possible (due to inexperience) and the way to go with that seemed to be to load up on as many troops as possible (especially for space marine who are elite to begin with).

Thanks for the responses :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

324 (x8)

Alright I suppose that works. If you want them to be combat oriented have you considered using Quickening or Force Dome? Giving the unit bonuses to hit and invlun saves could really tilt a combat in your favor.

Ya don't have to use bikes, just a thought since you have the bike commander. Best of luck with the list.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Pretty good list.

However, IMO, Hqs are advertised to look good but are often overpriced for what they do (this is compared to other units, not to other hqs).
    The Captain allows you to take command squad so hes staying.
    However the librarian is floating around, with out a proper job to do. I guess you put him in their to help control the Eldar council which makes sense. However, if its not mounted it probs won't catch you and if it is then a command squad vs coucil could be fun.

The other problem is a lone vindicator. Now whilst I think that the vindicator is our best heavy support choice (because of its versatility and durability, the key parts of any good space marine list); alone it is priority target. Too many times my vindicator has been destroyed by damn deffkoptas. The best way to solve this is to add another one: never a bad move with a good unit.

In summary I would consolidate these two by losing the librarian and adding in another vindicator.

Also lose digital weapons and play around with the points a bit, maybe another razorback?

Hope this helps

+ Reply to Thread