<2000 Anti battle suit heavy tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Anti battle suit heavy tau

I play a tau player who fields a minimum of troop choices and bulks out on crisis and broadside suits. The crisis suits use jump shoot jump tactics to remain hidden in all of my shooting phases while the broadsides sit as far away as possible while popping tanks and soaking up the fire that does reach them with their 2+ saves and a shield drone or two. Does anyone have any advice for a 1500ish army using the models i have.

I have:

a command squad with cloaks and armor modeled on.
    2 commissar models
    3 priest models
    a techpriest and a range of servitors

10 storm-troopers with a grenade launcher and a flamer
    5 ratlings
    A marbo conversion (a jester with hatchets )

A platoon of 55 men who can be the command, conscripts, vets or normal men. They include 3 autocannon teams, 3 mortar teams and 3 missile teams, 1 melta, 2 grenade launchers and a couple of flamers
    1 vet squad in carapace armor with a plasma, a grenade launcher and a flamer

2 chimeras, one has a hull mounted flamer and one a heavy bolter. The turrets can be swapped, on is a flamer and one a multilaser

2 sentinels with all the options that come in the box magnetized
    10 Rough Riders

A Leman russ demolisher with all the options in the box magnetized (executioner and punisher with all the sponsons and hull mounts)
    2 more leman russ with exterminator autocannon turrets, both with bolter sponsons and one with a lascannon hull mount.

A forge world heavy mortar and Malcador destructor

A Basilisk

What would you consider useful, where would you pay for upgrades and while I'll not be able to buy anything for a while what should be on my list next time I have £30 spare?

Last edited by matus; April 21st, 2010 at 17:13. Reason: Unfortunate if amusing typo removed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

The list uses a few things you haven't got but it is based around what you have.

HQ

CCS -85
    Camo cloaks
    autocannon
    vox

Elites

Stormtroopers(x5) -105
    2x melta

Stormtroopers(x5) -105
    2x melta

Guardsman marbo -65

Troops

PCS - 125
    4x melta
    chimera

Inf squad -70
    Autocannon
    GL
    vox
    (joined)
    Inf squad -100
    Autocannon
    GL
    commissar
    (joined)
    Inf squad -65
    autocannon
    GL

Veteran squad -155
    3x melta
    chimera

Fast attack

3x sentinels w/ autocannon -120

Heavy support

LR demolisher hull heavy flamer- 165

LRBT hull heavy flamer -150

LRBT hull heavy flamer -150

That leaves 40 points(I believe) I can't really think of what to spend it on.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Against duck and cover Tau battlesuits outflanking is your freind. He won't know which direction you are coming from (granted neither will you).

HQ: Firstly take and astropath so your outflankers arrive early and you can reroll which side they come from. Use the order that forces rerolls to cover saves to make lascannon HWS shoot the pants out of broadsides. You will need a platoon to hold home objectives so the CCS can go with them waving the standard to keep the chaps happy.

Troops: Al Rahim is a good platoon commander to have giving an entire platoon outflank. Put his PSC in a chimera with meltas or plasmas and merge the platoon into a big mob with commisar and a single vox to get 45 chaps using the front rank fire order.
    Veterans in chimeras with meltas are good too but advance behind cover as much as you can and remember the smoke launcher. A squad or two of penal legion can work wonders outflanking and using furious charge or rending to get stuck in to fire warriors or just use lasguns on battle suits.

Elites: Marbo is good. Deepstriking melta stormtroops are a nice idea if a little expensive, their AP3 lasfire will contribute too and the astropath helps them arrive sooner.

Fast: It has to be vendettas. Either deploy normally and use your scout move to move flat out on turn zero to get the 'moving fast' cover save on the enemy turn one and it also gets you into a decent position to instant kill many tau suits. They can also outflank and even carry a SWS with meltas or flamers or even democharges (dangerous but fun). Outflanking sentinels are also useful, autocannon is ok against side armour of tanks but hammerheads have AV12 so take ML or lascannon to get decent armour penetration and also instant kill suits. Rememver sentinels can charge fire warriors and lock them in endless combats untill the rest of your army can join in. sentinels can also charge battlesuits just to lock them in combat for a while and stop them shooting and running away in their assault phase.

Heavy: Watch out for spending too many points on big tanks. Tau railguns will go right through AV14. I don't say never take any but keep them cheap such as basic russ or the russ that ignores cover saves. you could get griffons who can stay out of LOS and lay decent pie plates on fire warriors. Basikisks will annoy hiding battlesuits no end.
    Last edited by Mad Cat; April 16th, 2010 at 11:32.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Thanks guys. It'll be a while before I can buy battle cannon turrets for the russes or a vendetta, but it is nice to have a target. I like the idea of an outflanking platoon as well as not just being told to buy lots of chimeras :-) I'd worry about markerlights on the valk, with the save for going fast stripped away it would attract a lot of missile pod, rail gun and even plasma rifle fire.

On a related note, how much scenery do you use? Our normal games have the 4 'hills' moulded on the battle board, 4 or 5 buildings and 4 pieces of wall. I wonderedif thisis more than average giving too many good hiding points, or is that normal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

Maybe you should roll for the amount(d6) and placement of terrain(scatter dice from middle of table), that's what we do at my local gaming club.

Makes for more interesting, more varied battles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ALWAYS roll for terrain if you want an even match, Lots and lots of terrain is a HUGE advantage for jump-Tau. Try doing as SotE suggest and roll for the amount and the placement. It'll make you both have to think a bit and will lead to a lot more interesting battles were, most of the time, no-one has any real advantage in the form of terrain.

On the lsit, I think SotE also came up with a good suggestion. Meltas are perfect for Insta-Killing any kind of suit, and the few Ap3 shots they put out can give a helping hand to ^^

Anyways, good luck in your games! ^^

Cheers ^^
    http://refraintofsanity.blogspot.com/
    -"Oh God, this is going to take a while..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only person who laughed at the typo about the broadsides?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

i think i laughed only because you laughed.

if you use veterans with plasmaguns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

337 (x6)

rofl, well spotted, I was typing on an iphone, thats my excuse anyway!

On topic, I think there is a good plan coming together here. I could use my platoon command as Al Rahim soI can get some outflankers, I have some meltaguns I had bought to put on my marines but I could convert them to fit some guardsmen (may look a little big). I have to live with my tanks for now, but if I can get some melta squads in those two chimeras on his flank, sped up by an astropath I may be able to knock out the broadsides and force the crisis' out of cover. I could even deep strike the stormies in to support them. How lets hope rafici doesn't read this thread ;-)
    Last edited by matus; April 19th, 2010 at 17:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

That was the idea of the melta stormies.

+ Reply to Thread