<1000 First space marine list - space wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First space marine list - space wolves

I play sisters of battle and I want to have some close combat proficiency now. I love space wolves fluff so I've made my choice. Here my list (I already own rhinos so it was mech or footslogging instead of purchasing drop pods).

240 Ragnar Blackmane (<-- he is so cool!)

470 10 Wolf Guards - 5 power weapons in Land Raider Redeemer

235 10 Grey Hunters - 2 plasma guns, mark of wulfen, powerfist, rhino

210 10 Blood Claws - power fist, rhino

120 2 Land Speeders - 2 multi-meltas

165 Predator - Twin-Linked Lascannons, side Lascannons

2005 points (which is acceptable)

My opponents include a good number of vehicles and a lot of CC marines (templars and blood angels) I like the idea of a really awesome wold guard unit with Ragnar to take care of those heavy termies and sword brethren units i will face. I understand that I am spending crap tons of points on one unit and I could take 3 more troops by removing them and skimming some other areas.

Does anybody else use grey hunters to rapid fire before a counter-assault, sounds both fun and solid.

Another thought is how to make a similar list for smaller games.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by joecool View Post
    240 Ragnar Blackmane (<-- he is so cool!)
    Excellent hero. My favorite named SW character. But you're vulnerable to enemy pyskers. Consider getting a Rune Priest for psychic defense (and you'll find out how awesome SW psychic powers are).

470 10 Wolf Guards - 5 power weapons in Land Raider Redeemer
    Nasty! Always get a multi-melta for your LRR.

I'm not a big fan of plasma guns. I'd much prefer the melta as you're light on AT. Besides, if you fire your plasmas, then you can't charge. While that's not as bad with counter-attack, why would you want to give the enemy the charge bonus (and maybe furious charge bonuses as well)? Also not a big fan of Pfists on 1A models (Grey Hunters).

I'd just have 1 squad of BC's and 3 squads of GH's. They're that much better.

They're ok, but I'd much rather change them for Long Fangs instead.

165 Predator - Twin-Linked Lascannons, side Lascannons

2005 points (which is acceptable)
    Long Fangs rule. I understand if you don't have the heavy weapon models, but you should seriously consider getting some Long Fangs here.

My opponents include a good number of vehicles and a lot of CC marines (templars and blood angels) I like the idea of a really awesome wold guard unit with Ragnar to take care of those heavy termies and sword brethren units i will face. I understand that I am spending crap tons of points on one unit and I could take 3 more troops by removing them and skimming some other areas.
    The WG's have their uses and are actually quite cheap for what they can do - the extra attacks and cheaper power weapons. Too bad they're not scoring, at least not without Logan. 4 troops are ok at 2K. I'd try it out first to see how you like them. They're both solid units.

Does anybody else use grey hunters to rapid fire before a counter-assault, sounds both fun and solid.
    They're better than other folks in this aspect. However, it's still always better to charge than get charged (unless you're rapid-firing into 5+/6+ save enemies). You'd especially want to charge if you were facing other MEQ's.

Another thought is how to make a similar list for smaller games.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    At smaller games (i.e. 15OO), Ragnar, as good as he is, is going to have to go. Same with the Wolf Guards hammer unit and probably the LRR. Get a cheaper HQ (I like Rune Priests and normally use at least 2) and some Long Fangs.
    Last edited by jy2; April 24th, 2010 at 20:45.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very helpful post JY!

I like the Land Speeders because I don't think Long Fangs would survive consistently, being the only infantry not starting in a tank. That is why I decided to go with land speeders and the Predator, plus LoS isn't too much of an issue with land speeders.

The Power fists and marks of wulfen were more or less filler, and I was going for more of a Close Combat theme. I think I will take all of those out. I will be experimenting with meltaguns in my units after I start piecing together my army (waiting on my new job to start). I think I will be keeping atleast 1 unit with the plasma guns because I like them and they fry termies.

I like the idea of of blood claws, and would like to include a unit with a wolf priest.

Are Rune Priests that good in a MECH army? I just don't see it fitting to well, but I've been mistaken before. When I have some time to crunch numbers I will 2 post lists. 1 with and 1 without the Longfangs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

240 Ragnar Blackmane (with wolf guard unit)
    100 Wolf Priest (with Blood Claws unit)

505 10 Wolf Guard - 5 power weapons, power fist, Land Raider Redeemer with Multi-Melta (powerfist wolf guard will join Blood Claws)

180 8 Blood Claws - flamer, powerfist, Rhino
    195 10 Grey Hunters - 2 plasma guns, Rhino
    190 10 Grey Hunters - 2 meltaguns, Rhino

60 Land Speeder - Multi-Melta

Total: 1970

This leaves me with some points to play with and I'm not sure where to put them. Either way, this list looks a lot more solid to me and super fun. By skimming 30 points from my CC units I could get that 4th Land Speeder back I guess. My 2 CC focused units do kind of seem overkill. Atleast on the charges.
    Last edited by joecool; April 25th, 2010 at 07:23.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

With the extra 30pts, consider getting Heavy Flamers on your Land Speeders to make them dual-purpose. I always do that on mine so I can handle mech or hordes.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I think I have 35 points to spare. I believe i spent 25 poitns on the wolf guard power fist, I will check that again when I get home. Either way I like that idea of those heavy flamers.

+ Reply to Thread