<1000 500p for a newb against SM - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500p for a newb against SM

Hello, I have just recently started playing warhammer 40k and my friend, who showed it, is playing with space marines. I prefer imperial guard, but it seems that IG is as easy for SM as possible - my friend always wins against me. I want to improve and I would like you to correct my noobish list:

Company command squad + carapace armour + 3x plasma gun + chimera
    Platoon command squad
    2x inf squad (combined) + commisar
    Platoon command squad
    2x inf squad (combined) + commisar

I see one big problem here - infantry squads and platoon command squads are huge point sinks, but according to force organization chart, i must take 2 infantries and each infantry need at least one platoon command squad and 2 infantry squads. So, if I understand codex right, they are must take. The idea is for company command squads to take occasional vechicles and be mobile as possible, since i want to save them, platoon command squads should use their orders (especially first rank fire, second rank fire) to take out all infantries with their lasguns.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Poet of the Deed Captain Corrigan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

You could always use vets and max out on plasmas. Then use the remaining points on either more transports or a bane wolf or devil dog. Both make a mockery of power armour. I would personally get a chimera for the PCS if you must keep the platoons and get rid of the plasma guns from the CCS and move them onto the PCS. I know they have worse bs, but the ability of the CCS to ride around in moving bunkers (I mean Chimerae) and issue oders is valuable. If they are mounted in a chimera, do you need carapace armour? Its 20pts, 4% of your total points, and if they're in the chimera they should survive if there are enough distractions. I would suggest something more like:

CCS
    Chimera

Vets, 3x plasma gun, chimera

Vets, 2x plasma

Devil Dog

TOTAL 495

In these points, your opponent won't have too many AT weapons, but you can't be accused of armour spamming by getting cheap units of vets, a cheap ccs and a leman russ battle tank.

Just suggestions, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for response. After reading what you wrote I agree that carapace armour is not worthy taking. But I still don't understand Force Organisation Chart and what role it plays. It says that I must have 2 troop choices and in IG, each troop must have 1 PCS and 2 inf squads. Your list has none. Maybe I don't understand something? Is Chart a sort of recommendation or what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

It says that I must have 2 troop choices and in IG, each troop must have 1 PCS and 2 inf squads.
    No... I don't believe that is what it says.

For a platoon, that is very true, but a veteran squad also counts as a troops choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? Well, ok then. I think I understand now Force Organisation Chart and how it works. Thanks for quick response. However, Corrigan's list still makes me puzzle: why should we split plasmas between vets? Can't we give to one squad all those plasmas to make it more effective? The other squad without all them could still be useful with first rank fire! second rank fire! order and the first one could use... I don't what orders should be issued for vets with plasmas. We shouldn't issue Bring it Down! because Devil Dog would take care of vehicles one way or another and other orders to me seem too much situational and I think that squad will often end without receiving orders.
    Last edited by raitas; April 26th, 2010 at 12:12.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

Look in the codex: " Up to 3 models in each veteran squad may take one of the following special weapons:"
    i.e: you can't take 5 plasma guns in one squad. You only have one company command squad anyway, so you only have 2 orders per turn. You still have 6 lasguns in one vet squad and 7 in the other- first rank fire second rank fire should still have some effect (same as guardsmen with a heavy weapon for the second squad).

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for help, I understand every choice and reason for it now. I'll try to post something after testing it if I see something doesn't work. A really big thanks for you help, I wouldn't think something similar to your list for ages if not you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

A pleasure. Glad to have helped a fellow guard player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya again. I have played against my friend today. His list looked like this:
    Librarian - Machine Curse + Smite
    Tactical sq
    +5 marines
    +plasma cannon
    +flamer
    +rhino
    Scout sq
    +missile launcher
    Assault marines (in reserve)
    +melta bombs
    Total - 500p
    We played something like a deathmatch with victory points - we fight till the end of 5th turn and then count all the points. Who has more wins. In the end I had 362,5p (lost chimera, second one had weapon destroyed, lost 7 veterans from one squad. He lost librarian, scouts and more than half of assault marines. However, after the match he looked at the Devil Dog in the codex (since he called it overpowered, however, I always missed with him during the game) and found that his armor total is equal 34 and said that this is not possible (I knew it, just forgot to look and find it) since in our game there are certain restrictions (like armor total cannot be bigger than 33 in 500 points battle). He called this match type combat patrol or something, however I wasn't able to find anything like that in rulebook. Is this a popular agreement between players and is something not mentioned in rulebook (it is very possible that I just didn't see it)? And what should I then play instead of Devil Dog? I am thinking about Medusa with bastion-breacher shells, but it cost 20 more points that Devil Dog, so I would need to drop one plasma then.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

Is he using the old rulebook? Combat patol now only exists as a 200pts (I think, I've not got the book handy right now) mission in the Battle Missions book, and is no longer just a game with more restrictions and less models. Therefore you were not playing combat patrol and therefore, in a 500pt game you ARE allowed a devil dog- ask your friend to show you his rulebook- it is most likely the last edition one if it as combat patrol in the main rulebook and with 500pts. Look up the 40k rulebook 5th ed in Google images- that is this edition, and has a reddish background, while the old one has a dark blacky-bluey background.
    Last edited by Captain Corrigan; April 27th, 2010 at 17:44.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast