<3000 'Ard Boyz Mech Vets - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Ard Boyz Mech Vets

HQ:
    Company Command Squad
    3x Plasma Guns, Medi-Pack, Astropath
    Chimera
    Heavy Flamer, Multi-Laser
    [210]

Company Command Squad
    3x Plasma Guns, Medi-Pack, Officer of the Fleet
    Chimera
    [210]

Elites:
    Inquisitor
    2x Mystics, Hierophant, Psychic Hood
    [60]

Troops:
    Veteran Squad
    3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

Veteran Squad
    3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

Veteran Squad
    3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

Platoon Command Squad
    4x Flamers
    Chimera (Inquisitor)
    [105]

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon
    Chimera
    [110]

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon
    Chimera
    [110]

Special Weapons Squad
    2x Flamers, Demolition Charge
    [65]

Special Weapons Squad
    [65]

Fast Attack:
    Vendetta (SWS)
    [130]

Vendetta (SWS)
    [130]

Vendetta (PCS)
    [130]

Heavy:
    (2) Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Plasma Cannon Sponsons, Hull Heavy Flamer
    [380]

Leman Russ Demolisher
    Hull Heavy Flamer
    [165]

Leman Russ Demolisher
    Hull Heavy Flamer
    [165]

[2500]

Doing what I can with what I got.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Looks good. I would drop a CCS and upgrade the =][= to a =][= lord and 3 plasmagun armed warriors (their plasma guns are cheaper and they have better armour for overheats). The Lord has better ld to use the psy hood with.

This should leave you points to buy another troop choice in a chimera.

I'm not a fan of hull HF on leman russ.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Poet of the Deed Captain Corrigan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

I agree with Mad Cat- HFs on Leman Russes aren't that great- you habve to be too close to the enemy to use it making it better for short ranged vehicles like Bane Wolves or Hellhounds. Otherwise, looks mostly solid.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by OldHat View Post
    HQ:
    Company Command Squad
    3x Plasma Guns, Medi-Pack, Astropath
    Chimera
    [210]
    If they run the HQ killing mission again, this is fine. But if not I'd drop the medic and put meltas in this unit. Plasmas are something that's best left to scoring units guarding your backfield.

Company Command Squad
    3x Plasma Guns, Medi-Pack, Officer of the Fleet
    Chimera
    [210]
    Why run 2 of these? If you want more special weapons, take Stormtroopers. They're much more tactically flexible.

Elites:
    Inquisitor
    2x Mystics, Hierophant, Psychic Hood
    [60]
    I know everyone's doing it, but I really don't think that you need him. You can kill deep-strikers just fine with IG using deployment and tactics alone.

Troops:
    Veteran Squad
    3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

Veteran Squad
    3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

Veteran Squad
    3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]
    Cool.

Platoon Command Squad
    4x Flamers
    Chimera (Inquisitor)
    [105]

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon
    Chimera
    [110]

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon
    Chimera
    [110]
    If you weren't taking an Inquisitor, would you have any reason at all to take a platoon? When I add up the points and tactical costs of taking an Inquisitor, I see nothing but fail. Those infantry squads in Chimeras with autocannons just don't contribute anything. If you must take them, lose the rides, give them a commissar, and stick them in cover.

Special Weapons Squad
    [65]

Special Weapons Squad
    [65]
    Nothing wrong with these, apart from having to take a platoon to get them. How about some =][= stormies instead? 5 of them with plasmas or meltas is only 70 pts. Or Flamers for even less.

Fast Attack:
    Vendetta (SWS)
    [130]

Vendetta (SWS)
    [130]

Vendetta (PCS)
    [130]
    Fine, but If it were me, I'd trade one for a hellhound.

Heavy:
    (2) Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Plasma Cannon Sponsons, Hull Heavy Flamer
    [380]
    Another bow to the =][= crutch. Take 2 Hydras instead and spend the extra points elsewhere.

Leman Russ Demolisher
    Hull Heavy Flamer
    [165]

Leman Russ Demolisher
    Hull Heavy Flamer
    [165]
    These are fine.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly enough, SandWyrm, if I made most of those changes, it would resemble the list I was testing before I made the current changes.

The Inquisitor is not a crutch or drawback at all. A Ld9 Hood gives me limited Psychic protection - some better than none philosophy. The Mystics ensure I don't get owned by Pods, which are a real threat now. I wouldn't leave home without him.

The Hydras I want badly, but dont' own. If I had the $100+ to get them, I would in a heartbeat. Awesome model, awesome unit. However, got to make due with what I own currently.

For the Platoon, they are worthwhile. Scoring units in armor on the backfield tossing down AC shots while the Meltaguns roll forward. Means that none of my Vets miss the action guarding an objective. IST are nice, but that Demo Charge is handy. I will consider them, though, as extra special weapons isn't a bad idea at all, especially with the 4+, BS4, and targeter.

Any other ideas, folks? I am going to a tourney May 1st and want to be sure the list is trim.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

The Inquisitor is not a crutch or drawback at all. A Ld9 Hood gives me limited Psychic protection - some better than none philosophy. The Mystics ensure I don't get owned by Pods, which are a real threat now. I wouldn't leave home without him.
    If IG orders, SOB faith, Daemon abilities, or the Nid's Doom of Mai-Tai were called Psychic powers instead of special rules or abilities, would anyone take an Inq + Mystics to counter them?

I see Psychic Powers as just being another gun that certain models have. A less reliable gun, in fact, because they have to pass a Ld test to use them, and might even wound themselves in the process. My defense against them is numbers, staying in transports, and return fire. It's really that simple.

Daemons and drop pods are counterable using Officers of the Fleet, deployment, reserves, and tactics. Why would I complain if someone wants to drop troops and/or Dreds piecemeal into my most lethal (< 12") kill zone? I LOVE fighting drop armies. I haven't lost a single game to a drop army yet, and I haven't taken an Inquisitor since 3rd edition.

So, I don't see a need to spend 200+ points and tactically gimp my army (by Squadroning Russes and taking mounted platoons) in fear of psy-powers or drop armies that I may only face in 1 out of 4 games. I'd much rather be sure that every unit can move around and adapt. While spending the saved points on nasty tactical options like Stormies in Chimeras.

The Hydras I want badly, but dont' own. If I had the $100+ to get them, I would in a heartbeat. Awesome model, awesome unit. However, got to make due with what I own currently.
    Fair enough. But there are other options too. If I don't get my Hydra conversions done in time ($120 for 2 upgrade kits IS rediculous), I'll be taking my Exterminator. Which doesn't put out as much dakka, but is AV14 and able to move and fire to full effect.

For the Platoon, they are worthwhile. Scoring units in armor on the backfield tossing down AC shots while the Meltaguns roll forward. Means that none of my Vets miss the action guarding an objective.
    The 230 points you're spending on 2 Infantry Squads w/Autocannons and Chimeras could buy you a Vet Chimelta and a Hydra, making you better at both long-range AT and close-range fighting. Add 15 more points and the vets can have plasmas, which are great for protecting the backfield.

Just sayin'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am already using Platoons, though. That comes first, generally. The Inquisitor is a cheap addition that has some good utility. I think that his usefulness is worth the inclusion. Sure, I can wipe out a Drop Pod Dreadnought when it lands, but I would much rather it hit and then deny it any shooting at all if possible. Also, the LRBT squadron was not done to maximize the Inquisitor - it is just a major bonus. I tried to fill the roles of a Manticore and pair of Medusa with LR variants as best as I could. When I get together the cash I need, I have a massive order - 2x Medusa, 2x Hydra, and a Manticore. Converting over to a modified Leafblower list if I actually make it to semi-finals.

You got the conversion kits? I am just going to throw in the extra and get the full kit. Cheaper for me, since I don't have spare Chimera chassis available. I am excited, though, for Spearhead. Lets hope that they have a Manticore and, if we are lucky, Hydras and Medusas as well!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

...Converting over to a modified Leafblower list if I actually make it to semi-finals.
    Oh please no. You can do better than copying that stupid list. It's just a static gunline that uses tanks instead of foot troops. Like Nob Bikers, people will laugh at it in 6 months once more players learn to use bleeping reserves against it. The key to killing it is mobility, scouting, and outflanking.

You got the conversion kits? I am just going to throw in the extra and get the full kit. Cheaper for me, since I don't have spare Chimera chassis available. I am excited, though, for Spearhead. Lets hope that they have a Manticore and, if we are lucky, Hydras and Medusas as well!
    Nope. Too high-priced for me. So I'm making my own. Problem is that I keep ripping them apart and starting over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SandWyrm View Post
    Oh please no. You can do better than copying that stupid list. It's just a static gunline that uses tanks instead of foot troops. Like Nob Bikers, people will laugh at it in 6 months once more players learn to use bleeping reserves against it. The key to killing it is mobility, scouting, and outflanking.

Nope. Too high-priced for me. So I'm making my own. Problem is that I keep ripping them apart and starting over.
    I am not copying a list, just using a few of the units so that my list looks similar and functions somewhat like it. Its just a catch-all term now, though.

Well, I am not savvy enough with conversions to make my own stuff, so I buy stock stuff. I like it, though. Just put on my Vendetta kits and I must say, the quality from FW is pretty nice.

+ Reply to Thread