IG 1500 tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG 1500 tournament

Hi there,

what you think about this roster. It is little unussual because I like to play with little numbers of soldiers.

2x HQ squad (4xsniper, fleet, vox)
    2x 5 Stormtrooper
    2x 10 Veteran squad (vox)
    3x Vendeta
    3x Punisher (1xPask)

HQ seriously restrict enemys outflang or DS. Snipers could treat stronger less armoured targets.

Stormtroopers - eliminates less toughness and more armoured enemys like Marines or they can stop oposing force.

Veterans has BS 4, with order first rank fire... are very good to eliminate less armoured or less toughness targerts. They can take points, in this case you hide they behind punishers for cover.
    Vendeta and its lascanon destroy heavy armoured monsters, vehicles or heavy armoured infantry Terminator style or inflict instant death to T4 multiwound enemys (like Tyranids Warriors or Orks).
    Punishers are factory to death.

I thinking about take out snipers and Pask and Stormtrooper and put another Veteran squad and all of veterans gains Chimera.

Martin

Last edited by MIK27; April 27th, 2010 at 11:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My, my, this just doesn't look good... :/

HQ:
    Why 2 Company Command Squads? You only have 2 units to order around, and the extra -1 to Reserve rolls isn't that needed.
    Snipers are very sub-par and I would drop them in a heartbeat.

Elites:
    Huh? Two Stormtrooper squads without any special weapons? You've really, really missed the point with theese guys. The idea behind the Stormtroopers is to Deep-strike, drop some Melta- or Plasma-fire in the right position and then die horribly. Their Ap3 lasguns are quite worthless really, seeing as the unit of 5 guys with them would kill about 1-2 Space Marines. Get theese guys 2 Special weapons if you consider using them, preferably Meltas to pop tanks with.

Troops:
    Two bare-bone squads of Veterans? Huh? This is your units that will take and hold objectives? 20 T3 As5+ wounds?
    Veterans are made for three different builds:
    - The Chimelta or Chiplasma. Get them 3 Special weapons, throw them in a bandwagon and have some fun. Quite standard for most IG-players.
    - The Alpha-strikers. Riding in a Vendetta/Valkyrie theese guys are kitted with the Demolitions doctrine and either 3 Flamers or Meltas. Scout move theese guys up and bring hell.
    - The cover hugging supporters. Give them Camo cloaks, an Autocannon and 3 Grenade Launchers and plant them in cover. Somewhat hard to shift, but msot of the time you're betetr of with normal Infantry Squads.

Really consider what theese guys are going to do.

Fast Attack:
    I've seen this before, and it's ok. But be prepared for people to call "Bo-hiss!" when you put them on the table. Consider dropping one for either a Hellhound or a squad of Scout Sentinels with Autocannons.

Heavy Support:
    It seems as you are one of the few that have for some reason got stuck on the Punishers. What do I say? They're rubbish 90% of the time and you'll get a better and more versitile tank for just 165pts (Demolisher). They're somewhat worthwhile if they have Pask and Heavy Bolter sponsons, but ONLY because of the sheer amount of dakka.

What I see with this list is that you think some units are so much better than they actually are. For instance:
    - Stomrtroopers do NOT handle MEQ with their Lasguns.
    - Veterans do NOT handle hordes, even with FRFSRF. And they can not hold objectives.
    - Snipers are worthless, in most cases.
    - Vendettas are not the msot reliable to kill high-AV with, they're more suited for taking down transports.
    - Punishers are not Auschwitz. They kill, roughly, 2 Space Marines a turn. Deadly? No.

What this list lacks is:
    - The potential to take down anything AV14 reliably.
    - The potential to hold Objectives.
    - The potential to take care of enemies in Cover.
    - The potential to handle Hordes.

My suggestion to you is to consider the units you are usings potential.
    Think about what you NEED to achieve with your army, and then pick the units you need for the job.

For some insight into this, I'm going to rudely point you towards Sandwyrms blogpost on theback40k. the back 40k: The 4 Things Every 40K Army Needs To Have

This compromises more or less what you need to know about what your army need to achieve on the battlefield.

I wish you the best of luck in your future games

Cheers ^^
    http://refraintofsanity.blogspot.com/
    -"Oh God, this is going to take a while..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    My, my, this just doesn't look good... :/

HQ:
    Why 2 Company Command Squads? You only have 2 units to order around, and the extra -1 to Reserve rolls isn't that needed.
    Snipers are very sub-par and I would drop them in a heartbeat.

Elites:
    Huh? Two Stormtrooper squads without any special weapons? You've really, really missed the point with theese guys. The idea behind the Stormtroopers is to Deep-strike, drop some Melta- or Plasma-fire in the right position and then die horribly. Their Ap3 lasguns are quite worthless really, seeing as the unit of 5 guys with them would kill about 1-2 Space Marines. Get theese guys 2 Special weapons if you consider using them, preferably Meltas to pop tanks with.

Troops:
    Two bare-bone squads of Veterans? Huh? This is your units that will take and hold objectives? 20 T3 As5+ wounds?
    Veterans are made for three different builds:
    - The Chimelta or Chiplasma. Get them 3 Special weapons, throw them in a bandwagon and have some fun. Quite standard for most IG-players.
    - The Alpha-strikers. Riding in a Vendetta/Valkyrie theese guys are kitted with the Demolitions doctrine and either 3 Flamers or Meltas. Scout move theese guys up and bring hell.
    - The cover hugging supporters. Give them Camo cloaks, an Autocannon and 3 Grenade Launchers and plant them in cover. Somewhat hard to shift, but msot of the time you're betetr of with normal Infantry Squads.

Really consider what theese guys are going to do.

Fast Attack:
    I've seen this before, and it's ok. But be prepared for people to call "Bo-hiss!" when you put them on the table. Consider dropping one for either a Hellhound or a squad of Scout Sentinels with Autocannons.

Heavy Support:
    It seems as you are one of the few that have for some reason got stuck on the Punishers. What do I say? They're rubbish 90% of the time and you'll get a better and more versitile tank for just 165pts (Demolisher). They're somewhat worthwhile if they have Pask and Heavy Bolter sponsons, but ONLY because of the sheer amount of dakka.

What I see with this list is that you think some units are so much better than they actually are. For instance:
    - Stomrtroopers do NOT handle MEQ with their Lasguns.
    - Veterans do NOT handle hordes, even with FRFSRF. And they can not hold objectives.
    - Snipers are worthless, in most cases.
    - Vendettas are not the msot reliable to kill high-AV with, they're more suited for taking down transports.
    - Punishers are not Auschwitz. They kill, roughly, 2 Space Marines a turn. Deadly? No.

What this list lacks is:
    - The potential to take down anything AV14 reliably.
    - The potential to hold Objectives.
    - The potential to take care of enemies in Cover.
    - The potential to handle Hordes.

My suggestion to you is to consider the units you are usings potential.
    Think about what you NEED to achieve with your army, and then pick the units you need for the job.

For some insight into this, I'm going to rudely point you towards Sandwyrms blogpost on theback40k. the back 40k: The 4 Things Every 40K Army Needs To Have

This compromises more or less what you need to know about what your army need to achieve on the battlefield.

I wish you the best of luck in your future games

Cheers ^^
    Thank you for your opinion. You are right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I agree with 99% of what Hassar said. That 1% being the 2nd Officer of the Fleet, he doesnt give further reserve penalties to your opponent, check the FAQ all he does is provide insurance in case your first officer dies your opponent will still have his reserves screwed with, really not worth the points.

But MIK, drop the stormies, 2nd CCS, weapons from the 1st CCS, and get some more veterans, give them 3 special weapons per squad, consider looking for a chimera or two.

Your heavy support would be better with demolishers, however 1 punisher with 3 heavy bolters and pask will draw fire like mad and rip through likht vehicles, casuing about 20 hits at S5+1, and rip through monsterous creatures, causing an average of 10-11 wounds on tyranid creatures, this can tear through a carnifex or hive tyrant a turn, with or without cover. Punishers can be useful and fun additions to your list, but more than one is generally overkill and you may end up lacking in other areas.

Good Luck.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

+ Reply to Thread