<2000 1500 Points, Agressive Airborne Unit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

1500 Points, Agressive Airborne Unit

Hello, summer is just around the corner and Iíve got some free time to work on my IG ďarmy.Ē Basically what Iíve got is 4 perfectly scaled Hind helicopters (valk, and vendetta substitutes) and some catchans. What I want to do is to make an IG army that is going to surprise my brother and cousins, and hopefully get them to make bad decisions gaming wise. So I figured what better way to do that than with an extremely aggressive airborne infantry IG list. They think IG are too squishy.
    My opponents are
    1. Orks, he is a pretty good strategist and has the luckiest loota rolls I have ever seen, not a single turn goes by without them firing three shots each.
    2. Necron, again my littlest brother rarely fails a we will be back roll, but his army is very slow. He plays a 500 point replicating list. Lord res orb 20 crons and if need be 2 monoliths in larger games. His strategy is March toward you shooting if possible and overwhelm you with troops that just donít die.
    3. Eldar, he is a sneaky one. Like to use prisms that hop in and out of cover and uses the blade storm ability on guardians or whatever they are called as his primary weapons. However if he loses these tricks, his strategies are washed down the drain.
    4. Space Marines/ Chaos. Who doesnít have an opponent or two who plays them?
    Now that you know what I am looking to do and what Iím up against, Iíll post my proposed list for tweaking to see what you guys think.
    Command squad
    Flamer
    Flamer
    Chimera
    Vet squad X2
    Melta X3
    Demo charge/meltabombs
    Vet squad X2
    Plasma X3
    Basilisk X3
    Valk X2 - both with multiple missle pods
    Vendeta X2
    NOTE: Short sweet easy to write. And yes I realize that the valks with have to be squadroned because of the three slots. Also when i say vet X2 that means there are 2 vet squads with the equipment beneath. Again yes I realize the flyers are not dedicated transports.

My basic strategy is to pound my enemy for the first two turns with the artilery and harass enemy armour with the vendettas. Then move in for the kill dropping troops and mopping up with as much firepower as is available.

I decided to take the two demo charges because, from my experience enemy vehicals come in close near the end of games especialy when objectives are up for grabs. So the ability to nuke a rhino or toss a lemun russ shell at a sm squad is just to tasty to pass up.

O and the Command squad basicly does a drive by with flamethrowers. I have found it works well against orks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squadroned vehicles are a bit squishy, I'd suggest that you bring a maximum of 3 flyers, so that you don't have to squadron them, personally I'd just take the two Vendettas and leave it at that...

If you want to prove that IG isn't squishy then, IMO, you need to go a more traditional Mechanized route, as your vet's will have to get out of the flyers to do anything and once out they are squishy...

Also bring two Manticores instead of the Basilisks, much more destruction and they'll surprise for sure, If you want better AP, then maybe the Medusa is for you.
    Last edited by Darth Bobo; May 10th, 2010 at 10:00. Reason: Manticores

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Coming only from theoryhammer and no personal table experience... you list seems extremely divided and not very specialized.

Generally speaking for me I usually pick some strategy and pile upon it everything I can find to help... which does mean I either do or die. But whenever I try to cover all the corners I usually get hit in the face.

P.S. Here is my list which you can read all the more experienced guys giving me feedback that might also help you. My airborne list is slightly more risky and squishy but has serious firepower potential.
    Last edited by Serran; May 11th, 2010 at 02:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I face off against nearly the same armies you do...

You want to put the hurt on them, these lists will get you the victory...

I've had the most success with this list against CSM, it does a decent job against others with some modifications...

HQ
    CCS-145
    X4 Meltaguns
    Chim (ML-HF)

Lord Commissar-85 (joins infantry)
    Power Fist

TROOPS
    1st Vets-155
    X3 Meltaguns
    Chim (ML-HF)

2nd Vets-155
    X3 Meltaguns
    Chim (ML-HF)

3rd Vets-155
    X3 Meltaguns
    Chim (ML-HF)

PCS-105
    X4 Flamers
    Chim (ML-HF)

1st Infanrty-65 (group up both these squads)
    Autocannon
    Flamer

2nd Infanrty-65
    Autocannon
    Flamer

FAST ATTACK
    BaneWolf-130

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Medusa-140
    Bastion Breacher Shells

Leman Russ-150

Leman Russ-150

this list has more then enough power to pop chaos vehicles turn 1... his troops will fall to the heavy support and fast attack and you hunt down all his bigger scary stuff with the Chim's... CSM don't normally carry enough weapons to deal with swarming tanks

The Lord Commissar and infantry mob is to tar pit the deamon prince for as long as possible... chase his ass down... he won't want to get into it with a mob like that... 70% of the time he'll win that confrontation, but it'll tie him up atleast 2 maybe 3 turns...

+ Reply to Thread