<2000 1000 to 1500 BA list help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 to 1500 BA list help

Hello, let me start off by saying thank you to anyone who takes the time to give me advice, and that secondly i have never played before but i love to paint and the game seems realy cool.

HQ: Dante 225pts
    Troops: Sang. Guard 235pts
    +1 P. Fist
    and Death Masks
    ( Dante would be attached to this unit for pinpoint strikes on priority targets)

Troops: Assault Squad 210pts
    9+1 Sergant
    +2 Melta guns
    ( tank hunting squad)

Fast attack: Baal with H.Bolter sponces 145pts

so far this leaves me with 185 extra points to spend to make a 1000pt army and i have no idea what to do with it. Im not to big on tanks but from what i have been reading a baal is a great tank for its cost so i included it. Im looking for a fast moving army that isnt a lot of foot slog but also dont want to have to load all my troops up in rhinos either ( hence the jump packs) once i get to 1000pts i also dont know where to go from that point some death co. seems to be a smart choice but i have seen good and bad things posted about them, so any help i can get would be much apreciated, thank you again in advance.
    P.S. I know my spelling sucks
    M

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a Drop-popped furiso dread (160pt) coming in on first turn it could give you a solid anti tank option aswell as drawing fire away from from your troops.Oh and give your sergent a p.fist to bring you up to 1000 points. I'd like to see how this list plays if you deepstrike them. Victory or defeat will prob depend on how/when you set up or deepstrike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah i was thinking about the furioso with 2x claws and a drop pod, my only problem is it just dosent seem like enough troops for 1000pts, but maybe im wrong havent ever played so i dont know what the standerd amount would be.
    Was thinking about deepstriking everything but the baal, using it to hastle my oponent untill i can strike at his flanks with the dread and the assault squad, then picking off hard targets with dante and his party.
    Last edited by Bones99839; May 13th, 2010 at 09:12.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bones99839 View Post
    HQ: Dante 225pts
    Troops: Sang. Guard 235pts
    +1 P. Fist
    and Death Masks
    ( Dante would be attached to this unit for pinpoint strikes on priority targets)

Troops: Assault Squad 210pts
    9+1 Sergant
    +2 Melta guns
    ( tank hunting squad)

Fast attack: Baal with H.Bolter sponces 145pts
    First off welcome to 40k! You came in the same way I did, as a mini painter. But now on to the harsh critique of your list

For 1000pts, you have spent WAY to many points on 6 models. Dante and your Sanguinary Guard cost a combined 460pts, that is nearly half your force that can be taken out with just 1 Demolisher shell that can only cost about 115pts, VERY doable in 1000pt games. Unfortunately with GW fashion, they create some awesome looking models and then make them absolutely terrible in game, that is the Sang. Guard. They are too squishy and cost too much for what they do.

When taking tanks, the general rule is to take at least 2 or take none. Having just the 1 vehicle out will just about guarantee that it gets destroyed. With RAS (Regular Assault Squad) in general if you have 10-strong go with a P.Fist Sgt, 5-strong PwrWpn.

I made a sample 1000pt list for you. It gives you a few more troops out on the field, and a decent amount of anti-tank/infantry. With this list I would recommend starting everything on the field, at this low point cost deepstriking is to costly, in mishaps and lost turns waiting for deployment and ability to assault.

HQ:
    Reclusiarch, w/ Jump Pack - 155pts

Troops:
    RAS 10-strong, w/ P.Fist + 2x Meltaguns - 235pts
    RAS 5-Strong, w/ PwrWpn + Flamer - 120pts
    RAS 5-Strong, w/ PwrWpn + Flamer - 120pts

Elite:
    Furioso Dred, w/ Librarian + Hvy Flamer (Wings of Sanguinius & Might of Heros) - 185pts
    Furioso Dred, w/ Librarian + Hvy Flamer (Wings of Sanguinius & Might of Heros) - 185pts

Total: 1000pts

Start this army all on the field, attach the Reclusiarch to the 10-strong RAS. Wing your Furiosos, and move everyone up the field. Your 10-strong+chaplain squad is for hard hitting units and tanks, the Librarian Dreds can Psychic Hood and be anti-infantry/MC/tank. Your two 5-strong RAS's are for objective grabbing and infantry killing.

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Well if what you listed in your first post is what you currently have then you should definetly get another assault squad to make the list legal (2+ troops requirement) - You can't currently have a full one and if you don't like tanks I won't tell you to absolutely get a squad in a razorback either (although I love those as multipurpose tools).
    A 5-man assault squad either with a flamer and power weapon, or with a meltagun in a razorback with a heavy flamer would both serve you well I think. I'll also suggest you to get a powerfist for the sergeant in the assault squad that you have. This'd cost 145-155 pts leaving you with spare points that I'd usually use for adding infernus pistols here and there, your sanguinary guard especially to make the most of Dantes precision deepstrike.

While we're at it I think Dante + Guard is a major investment in a 1k game and you'll rarely have a target worth for them to hunt. Obviously if you got them already it's understandable that you'll want to play them as they're pretty cool models, but you might want to ask your opponent not to bring a too hard list (you might anyway if you're just starting the game).

Expanding for 1500pts will also give you more options in the 1000pts games.

Thus for further army-expansion I'd recommend another HQ, a Reclusiarch or a Librarian should rarely let you down for their cost, although there's currently no jumppack Librarian, you could probably convert one yourself.
    Expanding your troops section will also be a good idea, ~3 full assault squads would be a solid core even for higher points games, you'll probably find that you lose more of your troops compared to other marines, as you don't have transport protection and as you actively try to engage the enemy with them instead of hanging around in the back field. You could also add a scout squad if you'd rather have more different looking models (understandable).
    If you don't like tanks and transports I'd recommend you not to take a Death Company. They just aren't cost-efficient when they're not in either a Rhino or a Landraider.

Blood Angels have alot of different toys to pick from and can choose for a lot of very different builds, so you should really just get what you fancy the most, if you're in doubt just make a post here and we'll try to help you to the best of our ability.

Edit:
    @Azraell: You might want to stick to the models Bones got rather than offering him a list that have next to none similarities with it..
    Last edited by LastDinosaur; May 13th, 2010 at 18:13.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LastDinosaur
    Well if what you listed in your first post is what you currently have then you should definetly get another assault squad to make the list legal (2+ troops requirement)
    Bones took Dante which turns Sang. Guard into a Troop Choice, so his list is a "legal" list. It is not like Pedro's rule were he turns Stern to scoring, Dante actually makes them a Troop choice.

But I would suggest getting another assault squad or 2, hell 3 or 4 with BA's.

I agree with LastDino about the additional units you'll want to get as well as his rundown on DC, they are awefully expensive w/o Transport and the rage rule allows them to be led around the board by a cheap disposable unit.

About the purposed list I gave Bones, I don't see how it is all to far off from what he displayed. I simply added/subtracted characters from it that he would have wanted to get any way when bumping up to 1500pts.
    The main reason I didn't suggest Baal's to you was because you were already thinking about getting a Furioso, and you are lacking Anti-Tank in your army. And lose the Sang. Guard, sorry to tell you, I bought a box of them as well...but they suck...use their bits to decorate your other marines and add some flair for painting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you for the help guys, so far all i have picked up is a box of the sang guard and that was more for painting than anything, so its no big deal if i dont use them. so instead of running baals i should go with 2 furioso lib dreads? sems like a cool idea should i also give them 2x blood tallons and get them in the fight fast with the wings? and for the reclusiarch first off i see it in the codex but i cant find a picture or another entry what type of model is it? i mean i know it is a HQ choice and seems to have good stats but i dont know what it looks like. also should i leave him bland or tool him up with some better kit? thanks again for all the help guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only suggested the dreds over the baals because they have a little bit better anit-tank, but if you go the Furioso Librarian route you can't have blood talons. When you choose the Librarian upgrade it replaces all your wargear with a DCCW and a Force Weapon. You still have a S10 weapon for busting up vehicles and tanks, or you can use the force weapon to possibly instant death some multi-wound models. I figured with the dreds you could Wings 1st turn, then "Run" in the shooting phase, pop smoke, and then for next turn use Might of Heros for the extra D3 attacks when you are in assault.

I don't like drop podding furioso dreads for the simple fact that they are then left out in the open, they don't have long range weaponry to shoot with so they are sitting ducks. So the Librarian upgrade is a nice way to get you a psychic hood on the field as well as advance them up the field with the rest of your army.

The Reclusiarch is just a stronger version of the Chaplain, so any Chaplain model will do. Later on when you have more points you can begin to tool him up, but for these low point games, you need to keep certain things cheap and with his built in PwrWpn, you can't do much better than a base Chaplain/Reclusiarch.

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Azraell View Post
    Bones took Dante which turns Sang. Guard into a Troop Choice, so his list is a "legal" list. It is not like Pedro's rule were he turns Stern to scoring, Dante actually makes them a Troop choice.
    Ah.. Bummer.. Knew that, just didn't think of it at all..

As for the Sanguinary Guard you could easily simply use them for sergeants or HQ choices.. Captains or even Reclusiarchs (just paint a skull helmet (one or two of them approximately looks like one) and swap the weapons).

I don't think there's a simply answer as to whether Baals or Dreads or anything else is the better choice, so again.. just go with what you like the best, really. Personally I'd take a Blood Talons Furioso over a Librarian Furioso at any time.. I consider it better for less points. But these are all preferences. With BA I think you can do just about anything (except for Sanguinary Guard and multiple special characters) and it'd still be somewhat competitive..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think i will go for that list Azrael, thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread