<2000 1750 Al'rahem Abuse - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

1750 Al'rahem Abuse

So I wanted to test a new list or two for my upcoming league this summer. My other list is nothing overtly new, so I wanted something that was a bit fun while still being strong. This is what I came up with, tell me what you think.

HQ
    CCS w/ 4 Meltas, Astropath, Officer of the Fleet (In Vendetta)

Makes the army work via Reserves and making it so my opponent can't counter Reserve, he'll come in to piecemeal and never be able to mount a resistance. Meltas chosen for the needed anti-tank.

Elites
    Marbo

Fits my theme and very useful for MEQ hate and killing what falls out of a transport.

Troops
    PCS w/ Al'rahem, 4 Meltas
    Chimera w/ ML/HF

5 Squads w/ AC/GL
    5 Chimeras w/ ML/HF

Chief bruisers and reason the list is original. Lots of anti-infantry firepower and some anti-tank the turn after they come in. Tons of mobility for objectives and coming in where I need them. Ordinarily I'd use Flamers on PCS but Al'rahem has Bring It Down so it makes Meltas worthwhile.

Veterans w/ 3 Meltas (In Vendetta)

Veterans w/ 3 Meltas (In Vendetta)

Standard units, good scorers and for dealing with armor and MCs.

Fast Attack
    Vendetta

Vendetta

Vendetta

Let's the CCS and Vets remain in theme and handles the majority of armor and MC killing, besides being the best thing in the Codex.

Heavy Support
    Griffon w/ HF

Griffon w/ HF

Only things that start on the table most games. Softens up problem units like Lootas, Pathfinders, objective campers and any static gunline units. Easily hidden and very accurate, while commonly wounding on a 2+ and denying some saves. Has Flamers to defend against Outflankers and Deep Strikers, would never use the HB anyways.

Tactics
    This list starts with nothing on the table except 2 Griffons in most games. I try and soften up a gun unit to make things easier on my armor.

The reason I think this can work is there's no good way to defend ones army and many players have no idea what to do against a Reserve list that's not Pods. There is no deployment defense for this, I have both board edges to work with.

If someone spreads out to be in CC or Rapid Fire range, I can pile on a weak spot, destroy everything there and than systematically claim units as they're unable to support each other. I get first strike always and than an opponent is immediately reacting to me.

On the other hand if they bunch up, I get my pick of position. Cover and objectives are all mine to take, defending my armor and giving the enemy a tough call of who to send at what pincer. I can than play keep away while running and gunning until it's over.

I'd focus on destroying transports and fast units as soon as possible to keep my movement advantage and than using my ample infantry hate against slower targets. Most armies seem to be forgetting long range anti-tank, going all or nothing on Meltas which is a big mistake against this list.

The Officer is so I can't be all Reserved against as a counter. My army is mostly coming in on Turn 2, the opposition would be coming in on 5's very piecemeal, handing the game to me. Only another IG army with an Astropath, an Autarch list and a Hive Commander Tyrant can get around this. 'Nids are still working themselves out, Autarchs are uncommon and IG setups can vary widely and may favor me.

So what do you guys see? I have a weakness to fast tanks with decent armor if my Vendettas go down and there's the chance my Reserve dice can abandon me but I have enough units so odds favor me. Overall I think the list would be very fun in any case, giving an opponent a different game as well as being challenging to command. Also, before anyone mentions it, I don't want to use Manticores. :]

Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Definately interesting mate.

HQ:
    Makes sense. Bar the Fleet Officer. You want your opponents reserves coming in before you! this way you can get those shots in first rather than the other way round. If you come in first you're just opening yourself up to, well your own tactic really.

TROOPS:
    Platoon is fine but those Heavy weapons wont be firing until atleast turn 3. Just if you don't know, those platoon squads will be coming on from different edges so it'll be broken up and coming in peicemeal. I'd also swap the G-Launchers to Flamers. You're coming in hot so you might as well take the template.

Vets are fine.

FAST:
    All good.

HEAVY:
    I can see the theory but there might be better ways to spend the points. I like Griffons though and most people will ignore them as they've always had an air of Rubbishness about them but they're actually pretty nails, especially against hoards.
    Maybe try your luck with a Colossus? Ignoring cover and AP3 can be horrid against everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

See I think the Officer is mandatory. An opponent could counter Reserve me, especially if I go first against my will. Anyone smart will give me first turn, no drawbacks. Than a lot of my Reserves come on on 3+. Now some of his come on with a 4+ and HE gets to shoot first. With the Officer, he comes in on 5+ so this doesn't really work, I'll have to much shooting for the 1-2 units he'll get to come on and it rolls downhill from there.

Now against an army with a few always Reserves, yes it will suck a little. Zoans, Podding Marines, that stuff will always have something on the board to shoot at coming in so late. I think I'd have to test it, I'd always be taking 2nd Turn and I suspect my opponent would always give me 1st. It's sort of a double edged sword.

I know the Platoons will be coming in from different edges, although I can probably link a lot up with the Astropaths re-roll. I like the Flamer idea, plus I actually have the models. I'm aware the ACs won't be firing early but there's really nothing better to give them and for 10 points I'd rather have than have not.

I like the Griffons because they're VERY cheap. The Colossus is better but only against some armies, mainly Tau and some Marines. I'd probably test both, I always have bad scatter luck even with the BS subtraction, that's why I like the Griffons re-roll so much. 1 Colossus would be easier to hide though, same size model and I only need one building or w/e.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I see your point about reserves. I suppose slowing him down has it's benefits but so does coming in after he's deployed. If he lets you go first you might as well start with everything on the field. As you say, it's going to depend on your opponent and who goes first/second. Should be interesting anyway. I might try it myself actually.

If you were looking to expand you could grab some Storm Troopers in chimeras.

We should start a Griffon Fan Club!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

I don't have the option to not Outflank, Al'rahem says MUST not can. Otherwise you're right, I would never need the Officer.

Yeah I never see anyone use those things. S6, 2d6 pick highest for armor, re-roll scatter, 12-48" and you can slap a HF on it? Great tank, if I had points I'd play one in my current 1750 list.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Ah balls I forgot about that nugget of information.

To be honest I don't really use Artillary. The last time i used my Griffons was the Codex before last with my Old Mordian Army. They'll appear again when the Army is re-done as Praetorians. I only ever use arty in fluffy lists though. I just don't see them in a fast recon in your face Chimera list.

My Arty list will probably be 2 Griffons and 2 seperate Colossus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

I prefer to play adaptable armies, even this list doesn't have to be in your face. No army can cover all of both board sides and even if they could, I could focus fire an area be free.

I think artillery is good for any army, it's taken to counter shooting units, especially the Colossus. They both pound a piece of terrain until something is Pinned, Runs or dies, or better yet a unit that falls out a transport with no trees to save them. In an ALL aggressive army they'd be less successful because you have no Deep Strike/Outflank protection except terrain which isn't good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The platoon would outflank as one whole unit
    it says specifically in the codex that the platoon rolls for reserves collectively

This is a really solid strategy
    Imperial Guard- Canon Fodder of the Imperium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This looks like a really solid list, that is a bit of a change from the standard chimelta vet lists that are getting kinda boring. I could never see myself affording or painting that many Chimeras, but if you manage to do it, respect to you man.

I'd also like to say that I LOVE Griffons, I reckon they're so characterful. I'd theme an army around a light artillery support regiment if I could find a way of getting reasonably-price Griffons...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

I'd actually given up on this list but now I'm re-doing it with Army Builder right now. I have a summer league starting next week and I'd love to play something not expected. I have 5 Chimeras and 3 Vendettas but I think I'm going to scale them back to 2. I'll update this tonight so check back.

+ Reply to Thread