<3000 Bike list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bike list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike list

HQ 1: Captain – 190
    - w/ Bike, Artificer Armor, Relic Blade, Storm Shield

HQ 2: Librarian - 135
    - Bike
    - Avenger, Null zone

Troop 1, 2, & 3: 6 man bike squad - 250 (750)
    - w/ Attack Bike: multi Melta
    - 2 w/ Melta Guns
    - Sergeant w/ Power Fist, Combi Melta

Troop 4&5: 10 man Tactical Squad - 225 (450)
    - 1w/ Missile Launcher
    - 1 w/ Melta Gun
    - Sergeant w/ Power Fist
    - Rhino

Troop 6: 5man Bike Squad - 205
    - 2x Flamers
    - Sergeant w/ Combi Flamer, Power Sword
    - Attack Bike w/ Heavy Bolter

Fast Attack 1, 2, & 3: 2x Land Speeder Typhoon - 180 (540)
    - Typhoon Launcher
    - Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support 1 & 2: Vindicator – 115 (230)
    2000pts.

So the plan as it stands is to have the lib ride with the flamer units, with avenger he has an AP3 heavy flammer, so between him the heavy bolter, the twin linked bolters and the other 2 flamers most infantry should be gone. The toss up was between the 3rd melta squad and a command squad. I went melta. Between the 3 bike squads, and my Typhoons most transport deep armies should have problems, and everything not a monolith should be manageable. The tactical squads give me some numbers and support. Thought about using 2 sniper scout squads instead or Plasma bikers, really would be interested in what people have to say about the tac-squads. I usually use 2 vindi's as standard, those pie plates have saved me many a time, Especially when i have 6 typhoons on the board. They seem to be ignored until they are at-least in range, and usually make more than there points back.

The alternative is something more along the lines of this:

HQ: 630
    HQ 1: Captain – 190 (495)
    - w/ Bike, Artificer Armor, Relic Blade, Storm Shield - 190

- Command Squad on Bikes - 305
    - w/ Company Champ
    - 1 w/Powerfist, Storm Shield
    - 2w/ Plasmaguns
    - 1w/ Power Sword, Storm Shield

HQ 2: Librarian - 135
    - Bike
    - Avenger, Null zone

Troops: 1135

Troops 1&2: 5x Bikes- 235 (470)
    - 2w/ Plasma Guns
    - Sergeant w/ Power Sword
    - Attack Bike w/ Multi-Melta

Troops 3&4: Bike Squad - 5 Bikes +Attack Bike- 235 (470)
    - w/Multi-melta, 2 Meltagun’s, Powerfist

Troops 5: Bike Squad- 4 Bikes +Attack Bike- 195
    - w/ 2 Flamers, Powerfist, Meltabomb, Heavy Bolter

Fast Attack: (540)
    3x 2x Land Speeder Typhoon 180 (540)
    - Typhoon Launcher
    - Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support: (230)
    Heavy 1&2: Vindicator 115 (230)

The command Squad gives me a combat support unit, and i now have some AP 1 fire power to deal with tough infantry. Most of the core is entact, with my librarian super flamer unit. Well this is the part where you guys give me feedback and tell me which list is a chump and which one is a champ..,

-David

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Hello David,

unfortunately both your lists are illegal. List #1 because your biker sergeants have two upgrades, but they only have one bolt pistol to replace (thus may only have either a combi-weapon or a power fist), list #2 because you have too many upgrades in the command squad: the apothecary can't be given any extra equipment, thus only four models can be upgraded. One being the company champion, that leaves only three.

I like the second list somewhat better than the first. Not because of the command squad, but because of the plasma bikers and the tactical squads.

Melta bikers are very essential as core units in biker armies, because they are your wild card against land raiders and leman russes, especially when those are being spammed as a cheesy attempt to gain the upper hand. But because of their short range and few shots, they are otherwise not really the most versatile and survivable biker squadrons, and I don't think they should make up three quarters of your bike squads like in list #1. There should be more than one unit of them at this points level, though, unlike in list #2.

You are spending far too many points on power weapons. Your bikes shouldn't see combat very much, especially not against something they need power weapons against. The occassional power fist (if you don't have a command squad) is fine, but upgrading every single squad is pretty much a waste of points. Invest in more bike squads instead, and equip them for fire support with plasma guns, for example.

And you only spent one third of your points on support units. Six typhoons and two vindicators are too few at 2,000 points. These are the working horse of your army. You should at least get a third vindicator to make your tanks more survivable, and I would really recommend maxing out the typhoons as well.

Having two HQs is okay at this points level, and the librarian can help you with psychic defense and enemy invulnerable saves. But second HQ plus command squad is probably a little overkill and means few points in essential Troops and fire support units. So be careful there.

I don't know whether you have read the Tactica: Space Marine Bike Armies. In case you haven't you should really take a glance.

Anyway, nice to see more biker lists! Good luck, mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Archer first and foremost, I would like to say thank you so much for your reply, I was hoping to get your feedback specifically when i drummed this up. I read your tactica and its what actually inspired me to try something a little different.

Of the bat both lists are 2500 pts, I had a typo. Also, in list two there are 2 5 man squads of melta. I knew you would lean more towards the 2nd list, as it is more of a purest list. If i didn't do the command squad, what would you add. As really, I don't trust a unit that small to survive combat.

Also i will change the sergeants, I didn't read closely enough and thought he had a CCW, and Bolt Pistol that he could replace. I would probably lean towards combi weapon.

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Instead of the command squad in the second list I would definitely add a third vindicator (all enemy anti-tank will focus on them, two just won't survive it, while a battery of three can shield itself off a little better and is a force to reckon with even at 2,500 points) and two more typhoons. You can add the ninth typhoon by dropping the power swords and a biker each from the plasma squads, the fire support units and more vehicles (in order to survive enemy anti-tank and take be able to take it out early before it puts the hurt on you) are really key.
    Your captain is, unfortunately, wrongly priced. He costs five points more. Drop the melta bombs to solve that. Another problem is that your second list above is 2,535 points [you did all the points costs except the captain correctly, but they add up to more than 2,500], so we'll have to cut down a little.

So I'm thinking something like this:

Captain w/ bike, relic blade, artificer armor, storm shield
    Librarian w/ Avenger, Null Zone
    Bike squad w/ 2x extra bike, 2x melta gun, power fist, attack bike, multi-melta
    Bike squad w/ 2x extra bike, 2x melta gun, power fist, attack bike, multi-melta
    Bike squad w/ extra bike, 2x plasma gun, attack bike
    Bike squad w/ extra bike, 2x plasma gun, attack bike
    Bike squad w/ extra bike, 2x flamer, attack bike, multi-melta
    Landspeeder squadron w/ 2x extra landspeeder, 3x typhoon launchers
    Vindicator
    Vindicator
    Vindicator

You could drop the storm shield on the captain (he has a 4+ invulnerable anyway, and a 3+ cover save when he turbo-boosts) and take a power sword in the flamer squad or dozer blades on the vindicators if you want. But this list would give you what you need: much support firepower, some long-range bike units (plasma/heavy bolter squads - the multi-meltas would be perfectly viable in there, but we're running short in points), some heavy-tank killers (the melta squads), and some infantry dislodgers (flamer squad and librarian), along with limited close combat capability (melta squads supported by the HQs, or the flamer squad against soft targets). Every single unit in this army is able to take out transports: the most important tactical operation for bike armies.

By the way: never take a power fist and melta bombs on the same sergeant, it's pretty much a waste of points. Against anything but land raiders (even monoliths) the power fist is more effective, and even that one it has a chance to hurt if you're desperate. So those extra points for the bombs are really better spent elsewhere...

Hope that helps a little, David! Sorry that there is so little variation in bike lists...

+ Reply to Thread