<2000 2000 pt Beginner IG Army...Please help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pt Beginner IG Army...Please help!

I've been collecting IG for a while, but I haven't ever given much thought to strategy and what I want my army to do. Here's what I got, and please let me know what I should add or take away to make my army more competitive. Thanks!

HQ

Company Command Squad
    Creed
    Voxcaster
    Standard Bearer
    Autocannon HWT

Elites

10x Kasrkin Stormtroopers
    Sergeant w/ power sword
    Plasma
    Melta

Troops

Platoon Command Squad (Cadian)
    Officer w/ power sword and plasma pistol
    Standard Bearer w/ Power Fist
    Voxcaster
    Plasma
    Melta

2x 20-man Infantry Squads (Cadian)
    Squad 1 of Platoon has Commissar
    Grenade Launcher
    Flamer

Platoon Command Squad (Vostroyan)
    Officer w/ Powerfist
    Medic
    Standard w/ Power Sword
    Voxcaster
    Grenade Launcher

3x 10-man Veteran Squads (Vostroyans)

Veteran Squad 1
    Sergeant w/ Power Sword
    Heavy Bolter Team
    2x Plasma

Veteran Squad 2
    Sergeant w/ Power Fist and Plasma Pistol
    2x Melta

Veteran Squad 3
    Sergeant w/ Bolt pistol and Chainsword
    Lascannon
    2 Grenade Launchers

Fast Attack

Valkyrie
    Lascannon
    Multiple Rocket Pods
    Heavy Bolters

Armoured Sentinel Squadron (2 sentinels)
    Lascannon
    Plasma Cannon

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Hull mounted Lascannon
    Heavy Bolters

Leman Russ Executioner
    Hull mounted Heavy Flamer
    Plasma Sponsons

Total:1923

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, lets have a look:
    Firstly, It looks like you have a Platoon Command squad leading Veterans. This isn't allowed - the veterans are not part of the platoon and are instead a seperate unit.
    I would save Creed for 2500 point games or maybe apocalypse. He works best in a very static lot o' Platoons list, whereas this seem more semi-static. I would drop the Power Swords and Fists. Even with them, Guard die in CC in droves, and you don't have a whole lot of Infantry, which means CC is something you should avoid at all costs. The CCS should probably drop the Vox and regimental standard for more special weps.
    Veterans don't really work to well on foot, unless you give them Forward sentries and try to hug cover. Harker can also compliment this if you decide to include some Catachans. They need to be mounted in a Chiera or Valk/Vendetta, or be following a Hades Breaching Drill to work to their full potential. In a similar vein, I would Discourage Mixing weapons in all of your squads. Either have Meltaguns for anti-tank, Plasma for anti-heavy-Infatry/Light-Vehicle, or Flamers for lightly armoured cheap troops. Grenade Launchers could work I suppose, but would be best on a static unit. The Flamer is better at Killing infantry, and the Plasmagun is better at killing Heavy infantry/light vehicles. The Versatility of the Grenade Launcher is most efficient at longer range than the Flame or Plasma. Sniper Rifles should go with Autocannons/Heavy Bolters in Static Forward Sentries squads.
    You don't really have a ton of Anti-tank either, certaintly not at long range so you really need some artillery or Russes or something like a Medusa for more long-ranged Anti-tank. I'd look at swapping the Valkyrie for a Vendetta too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

What Centurio Ordinatus said.

Basically, drop all the trimmings, that way you get more of the good bits.

A lot of pointless upgrades, once they are gone you can get more people, more tanks, more everything(and more stuf is better than slightly better stuff.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input...as I said, I'm just starting out in terms of strategy and could use any tips and advice on things I shouldn't do and things I should do

I went ahead and dropped Creed from my army list, saving myself some points there. However, the reason I had him in there in the first place was to take advantage of his large number of orders as well as his tactical genius special rule and special Honor of Cadia order. I've decided that the best solution was to bump my vostroyan PCS to a CCS, thus adding an additional order to my command structure and solves the problem of having an illegal PCS for my vostroyan squads. I've also trimmed the extra fancy weapons off my officers, and am now debating what special weps I should put in the CCS, since I had planned on keeping them away from the enemy if possible.

In terms of your advice on Veterans, how would I use them w/ Chimeras? I don't know the strats very well, but I always shyed away from getting them for my squads because I thought the point of IG was to stay away from the enemy and fire as many times before they reach my lines. What should I do with my Vet squads and what special weps should I fit them with?

Finally, I had a thought about converting my 2 armoured sentinels into 3 scout sentinels with autocannons...which seems to me to be more effective and cheaper in terms of pts. Still dont' know what to do about Anti-tank though...maybe a basilisk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Veterans are always best with 3x melta in a chimera (Chimelta squad.)
    Amazing tank busters in a speedy, well equipt transport. Nothing can go wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, the idea of Vets in Chimerae is to use the Chimera to get them close to the enemy without taking to many casualties, then jump out already in optimal range and cause som much damage the target can't hit back, either because they're destroyed or running off the board if they're infantry, or Stunned/all weapon are blown off/they're destroyed if they're a vehicle. The vets only cost 100 points too, so they almost always make their points back if they kill a vehicle. The Chimera can either ferry them to another target or just cause havoc until the enemy are forced to concentrate on it, sparing the rest of your forces some fire. I find its particularly effective to tank shock units at such an angle they can't shoot because their LoS is blocked. Even if they wreck the Chimera, they can't shoot through it, so the have to move around. Done right, you can deny a unit like Devestators 2 turns of shooting. If they try and walk round you, you can just move in front of them again. They have to blow it up before they can get back to shootin.(or something else has to blow it up.)

+ Reply to Thread