<2000 1750 Unorthodox - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1750 Unorthodox

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

1750 Unorthodox

I enjoy building strange Guard lists that I think many armies would be unable to counter in a meaningful way. I have the models to play this and I might at some point but I wanted to bounce it off some people and get a nice discussion going, so take a look and gimme some thoughts.

CCS w/ Camo Cloaks and Lascannon
    CCS w/ Camo Cloaks Lascannon and Astropath

Marbo

1x Veterans w/ 3x Meltas and Demolitions
    2x Veterans w/ 3x Meltas

PCS w/ Autocannon
    5x Squads w/ Autocannons and GLs

PCS w/ Autocannon
    5x Squads w/ Lascannons

3x Vendettas

Total = 1750

So I replaced a lot of the sub-optimal elements with optimal ones. I now have a ton of Alpha Strike potential, any army I go first against almost has to Reserve everything. I have three objective grabbers in Vendettas that can also bust tanks and MCs. I dropped the Reg. Standards because having a 4+ cover and Ld8 doesn't run all that often and even if they do I can rally with Orders, or Go to Ground and recover with Orders.

Typical plan is to flank deploy in Pitched Battle and make them come to me, using the Vendettas that come off the side to solve problems. In Table Quarters I make a long screen of Guardsmen and castle in a corner, using the screen for cover and to make staggered speed bumps against assault and movement. DoW depends on the army and mission I'm playing. I could fully blob and risk running or just walk on and use my deployed parts as screeners.

No missions is particularly bad for me. In KPs I can modify how many I have according to what I feel is needed and I have few easy to grab KPs, like transports. In Seize Ground I have three capable objective deniers/holders and can hold 1-2 near my lines with blobs. Capture and Control is good for me because it would be very difficult to lose my objective and they have to cripple 3 Vendettas to keep theirs.

I think this would be a fun list to play as it's different in many ways and gives a big middle finger to the metagame. I hope to test it sometime this month to see if it's as fun on the table as it is on paper. I don't look forward to the long deployments though. ><

So what do you think this is weak against or will have problems with?

Last edited by EmoJosh; June 17th, 2010 at 17:02.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess View Post
    Regimental Standard
    I don't like standards, I would blob up some of those infantry squads and add commissars.

I think Creed was made for an army like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

The problem with Commissars is you MUST Blob, and blobbing is detrimental in 2/3 scenarios. It has no actual advantages over separate units. Even in KPs I wouldn't always blob, instead going on a case by case situation.

Creed would be nice, I don't have anything to Outflank with his ability which bothers me though. Maybe drop the Al"rahem unit for Veterans using Creed to Outflank? That'd be a bit weak on taking objectives though.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

The problem with Commissars is you MUST Blob, and blobbing is detrimental in 2/3 scenarios. It has no actual advantages over separate units. Even in KPs I wouldn't always blob, instead going on a case by case situation.
    More effective orders? more resilient (but easier to target and put more fire onto.) I think while there are a few good reasons not to blob, there are also a few good reasons to blob up squads and when their so cheap, why not?

Creed would be nice, I don't have anything to Outflank with his ability which bothers me though. Maybe drop the Al"rahem unit for Veterans using Creed to Outflank? That'd be a bit weak on taking objectives though.
    Maybe you could purchase a demolisher with the left over points, one of them outflanking sound like a good idea to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

My reasons for blobs sucking is as follows:

Easy to tie up in CC.
    No chance of fast breaking for return fire.
    Can only shoot one target.
    Harder to deploy defensively.

The benefits are:
    Tarpit with Commissars.
    Orders go farther.
    Less KPs.

The benefits are underwhelming in almost all games. Orders only matter for Lascannons, Autocannons do fine on their own in my experience. FRFSRF is situational but strong, if I felt it was needed I could do 1-3 blobs of 2 squads.

I'm not decrying blobbing, just relying on blobbing. Commissars defeat the purpose of a staggered gunline by making them hold. Ideally I break and win a war of close range attrition. No armies have more units than IG can run and the ones who come close in numbers are weak to Rapid Fire, i.e. Orks and 'Nids.

Commissars can be powerful with Creeds Order but that relies on A. Creed not dying. B. Buying 2-3 Commissars w/ Power Weapons. Being able to win a protracted slugfest where after the Charge, I'am exceptionally weak.

Creed is powerful but the Commissar blob is over-rated and easy enough to play around, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

Revised the list in the OP.

+ Reply to Thread