<2000 1500-2000pt BA Drop Pod Assault Progression - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

1500-2000pt BA Drop Pod Assault Progression

I've been playing with different ways to get my BA to the fight. I've tested the waters of Razor/Rhino spam and found that I don't like it. Too many irritating and frail tanks on the board and unless you go completly nuts with it, your opponent can pick them off too easy. To that end I've started playing with the idea of drop pods to deliver units like Tac squads and Dreads.

1,495 pts

Libby: Jump Pack (Blood Lance and Unleash Rage or Might of Heroes)

Sanguinary Priest: Jump Pack

Furioso: x2 Blood Talons, Extra Armour
    Drop Pod

Drop Pod

10 Tac Squad: Plasma, Power Fist, Missle Launcher
    Drop Pod

10 Assault Squad: x2 Melta, Power Fist

Land Speeder: Heavy Bolter/Typhoon Missle Launcher

Land Speeder: Multi-melta/Typoon Missle Launcher

2,000pts

Same as the 1,500pt list above but add:

+1 Sanguinary Priest: Jump Pack

+10 Tac Squad: Plasma, Power Fist, Missle Launcher
    Drop Pod

+???? (190pts)

I feel pretty good about the 1,500pt list but I'm at loose ends on how to round out the 2k. If I had more points I'd bring Vanguard Vets kitted for CC but with 190pts the unit ends up too small and seems like it would be better to just have another regular Assault squad. I could add two more speeders or maybe a unit of Honor Guard. I'm open to suggestions on any changes for either list and how I should round out the last portion of the 2k list.

The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Perhaps Magna-grapples on the furiosos, in combo with the melta guns and drop pods you get a pretty decent alpha strike against vehicle rear armour. Alternatively heavy flamers are always nice, and match the intended blood talon targets well.

With the loose 190 pts what about sternguard in a pod?

Honour guard are always a good choice though, especially with 4 special weapons (ie melta/plasma/flamer) and the embedded sanguinary priest which would mean you dont have to buy another one.
    And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

I'm amazed how you can have left-over points with BA.. I always struggle to stay below the limit with them...

Were I to administer the 190 pts I think I'd get something with an armour value, simply because you don't have too much of this already.

Would have suggested another Furioso, but that would deny the priests which are pretty critical in your list, so a Predator or Vindicator perhaps? I as so many others have seen the potential in fast AC/LC predators, though I think a more In-Your-Face Baal or Vindicator would suit your list better (a Predator in the back won't drain much fire away from the Furiosos I think).

You could also take another path and upgrade your second tactical squad to devastators and add scout squad for the scoringness. Mostly saying this because it's been a while since I've seen anyone use Devs, which is a shame since they're fairly cheap for BA. I still think some more AV is better for you though..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Bonzi View Post
    I've been playing with different ways to get my BA to the fight. I've tested the waters of Razor/Rhino spam and found that I don't like it. Too many irritating and frail tanks on the board and unless you go completly nuts with it, your opponent can pick them off too easy. To that end I've started playing with the idea of drop pods to deliver units like Tac squads and Dreads.

1,495 pts

Libby: Jump Pack (Blood Lance and Unleash Rage or Might of Heroes)
    Drop the jump pack, your jumpers are simply too large of a point sink to be podless.

Sanguinary Priest: Jump Pack
    Again lose the pack.

Drop Pod

Drop Pod
    These two look good although as mentioned before you may want to look into Magna Grapples.

10 Tac Squad: Plasma, Power Fist, Missle Launcher
    Drop Pod
    Looks good to me, I would usually suggest a meltagun instead but it seems your assault squads have that covered.

As much as I love these guys I would urge you not to use them, at least without switching out their jump packs for drop pods. Even with descent of angels they are not as reliable as drop pods for deep striking and surprisingly do not mesh overly well with pods. They are too major of a point sink (including the extra chunk you are paying to hand jump packs to your characters) for something that does not take to battle in a drop pod. In a 1500 point game you are looking at landing only two drop pods on turn one. These may do some damage but should expect to be completely annihilated by a virtually un-molested enemy force.

I would definately give them drop pods instead.

Land Speeder: Heavy Bolter/Typhoon Missle Launcher

Land Speeder: Multi-melta/Typoon Missle Launcher
    Another large point sink not in a drop pod. With the points left from dropping jump packs off of your two characters I would buy myself a few magna grapples, another dreadnaught with a pod and another sanguinary priest to expand your FnP bubble and give your furioso dreadnaughts a better chance of being within furious charge range (to give them a decent chance against veichles even with their blood talons). I haven't checked the math on this one but it should lnd you somewhere near 1500.

2,000pts

Same as the 1,500pt list above but add:

+1 Sanguinary Priest: Jump Pack

+10 Tac Squad: Plasma, Power Fist, Missle Launcher
    Drop Pod

+???? (190pts)
    Again drop the jump pack and you have enough points for another tactical squad in a pod (although only with a power weapon and flamer this time) Bringing your first turn drop up to 4 pods.

I feel pretty good about the 1,500pt list but I'm at loose ends on how to round out the 2k. If I had more points I'd bring Vanguard Vets kitted for CC but with 190pts the unit ends up too small and seems like it would be better to just have another regular Assault squad. I could add two more speeders or maybe a unit of Honor Guard. I'm open to suggestions on any changes for either list and how I should round out the last portion of the 2k list.
    Hope that helps
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

I like the assault squads in drop pods idea. What if one with the librarian and priest is in a redeemer with the drop of the speeders?

For 2k, how about a tac squad in pod, and a pair of simple dreads in pods?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Zagman View Post
    I like the assault squads in drop pods idea. What if one with the librarian and priest is in a redeemer with the drop of the speeders?

For 2k, how about a tac squad in pod, and a pair of simple dreads in pods?
    The pod idea is decent but you have to remember a few things about the Redeemer:

1) Its large amount of points decreases your number of pods and more importantly how many you can land turn 1.
    2) Should your opponent get turn 1 (which is reccomended to give him when using a podding army), then the AV 14 of a landraider will have to face an entire force worth of anti tank weapons, and some will go through.
    3) If you don't start it on the board then Deep Striking a model this size and cost is not very reccomended.

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

207 (x5)

I'm glad to see my list generating so many comments and I appreciate everyones advice.

In general I am not in favor of trading my jet packs for drop pods for several reasons.

#1. I lose my Descent of Angels rule which not only lets me roll d6 less scatter but also lets me reroll my reserves rolls, giving me a better chance to bring them on or keep them off when I want to.

#2. Foot slogging Assault troops with drop pods negate the utility of Combat squads. The squad on foot with just bolt pistols is never gonna threaten anyone and will likely be unable to reach any point outside of my own deployment zone.

#3. To have FnP I need a SP in the unit and pods only have room for 10, which means I have to combat squad if I want the full 10 Assault squad to have the 2 special weapons or I must be a man short and lose the 2nd special weapon (the sarg could take an IP but that's 5pts more for half the range). Either way, if I want FnP I have to gimp the units effectivness and even with no SP, my libby still needs to ride a pod down so I hit the same problem regardless.

#4. The only bennefit of pods for assault squads is the certainty that the full unit will reach the ground. However, the downside is trading mobility in the following turns. Sure, with a pod I'm pretty much guaranteed that the squad will pop whatever tank they land near, but after that they are just Marines with bolt pistols on foot. Its unlikely that my opponent will let them get near anything else and they don't have the ranged firepower to force the enemy to come to them. With a JP squad my guys can threaten a much larger area and offer more tactical flexibility than a foot slogging squad can offer.

#5. Pods for assault squads is adding Kill Points into a list to let a squad that can already deepstrike...deepstrike safer. It seems like a bad bargin to me.

I'm primarily using Pods in this army because both Dreads and Tac Squads are great but in a BA army they tend to get left in the dust. The options are to make them faster or leave them at home. I could go meq but Rhinos/RB's have AV Tissue Paper and get scrapped when they get close to the enemy. Pods are slightly more robust and they can't get shot up before they reach my target.

I'm leaning towards another Tac squad with Pod and making two of the squads have melta/combimelta. On the first turn I would likely drop my Tac squads in to eliminate tanks and anti-tank theats to create a safe corridor for my Dreads and Assault Squads to land and start ripping it up.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

1) Right you are I myself had completely forgotten DoA allowing you to re roll reserve rolls. Just be careful as although 6 inch scatter may not seem like much trying to make the most of melta weapons can be risky.

2) If you check the rules for combat squads they are split up at deployment or when they disembark from a drop pod, so this can still be viable.

3) Again good point, I'm personally used to the Vanilla 'Dex's pods with 12 transport capacity.

4) The assault marines may be slower in a pod but you can of course risk deep striking closer to your opponents lines, which can get you closer reducing some of the need for speed, and scattering pods around a larger area makes it much harder for your opponent to avoid your units.

5) Yes they can be bad things in some kill point games but generally I think you'll find that your opponent will ignore your drop pods. They pose little threat to your opponent and despite being open topped armour 12 can make them surprisingly durable. By any measure your opponent will almost always get wrapped up in killing your units and dreadnaughts until late in the game when he will have little to no anti tank left.

Also do not underestimate the survivability a drop pod can add. What many people forget to think about is the fact that a drop pod allows them to spread out on arrival, nothing will ruin the fun of vapourizing a land raider with one of your assault squads with an attatched priest quite like the return fire of a vindicator on your bunched up assault marines.

That said it seems you have put alot of thought on what you want your units to accomplish and how you want them to go about it. You seem fairly set on what you want and what you want seems fairly solid to me, so let me be the first to wish you the best of luck to you with it

+ Reply to Thread