<2000 1500 Competitive, First IG List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

1500 Competitive, First IG List

After my last tourney I finally decided to start an IG army. I'm normally an Eldar player, so this will be pretty much a 180 for me in terms of play style, but that's why I wanted to collect them in the first place. So far all I have is a command squad and an infantry squad, but I kind of want a plan before I buy much more for it. So anyway:

HQ
    Company Command with 4 melta-guns
    90 pts
    Chimera
    55 pts

Troops
    Infantry Platoon A
    Platoon Command
    30 pts
    Infantry Squad with Plasma Gun and Heavy Bolter
    75 pts
    75 pts

Infantry Platoon B
    Platoon Command
    30 pts
    75 pts
    75 pts

Veteran Squad with 3 melta-guns
    100 pts
    Chimera
    55 pts

100 pts
    Chimera
    55 pts

100 pts
    Chimera
    55 pts

Fast Attack
    Vendetta Gunship
    130 pts

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Executioner with plasma cannon sponsons
    230 pts

Leman Russ Battle Tank with heavy bolter sponsons
    170 pts

Total: 1500

This is mainly just going off lists I've seen others use against me. I didn't want to go full mech, but I can't deny the effectiveness of veterans with meltas in chimeras. I wanted to get the demolitions doctrine for my veteran squads, but it seems a bit expensive. At higher point values I think I'd like to add storm troopers and maybe another infantry platoon, but we'll worry about that later. Let's get to 1500 first.

The enemy's gate is down

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Plasma guns and heavy bolters are extremely poor choices of weaponry for you line squads, a much better, and most often used combination is autocannon and grenade launcher, the autocannon has one less shot, but the shots are far more powerful. Plasma guns are expensive, are prone to killing the guardsmen holding them and are quite poor on bs3 models, grenade launchers on the other hand are cheap, safe and come with 2 different modes of shooting and are just plain awesome

Executioners with plasma sponsons... they are good, I can't say they aren't, but they are so damn expensive in points, when there are so many other good choices this tank limits you on what else you can get and IMO I don't think its worth it.

Leman russ battle tanks are quite good, long range, with good strength and AP, heavy bolter sponsons on the other hand are much shorter range, weaker and very expensive. I would drop the sponsons.

Though... with this army a demolisher may serve you better, it has better armour, better strength and AP (can kill pretty much anything) and is only 15 points more expensive!!! ... the only problem is the range, which with this army is almost completely negated as it should be rushing forward with your chimeras anyway.

This bring me to hull weapons, heavy flamers are free, they have all round good properties, they are template weapons and ignore cover saves. I would always take them on demolishers, and maybe on LRBTs (they have less reason to get into range with it.)

You only have one vendetta, and it don't look to be taking any passengers. Get 2, one will get shot down too easily, 2 are much more effective. give your PCSs 4x flamers and stuck them in the vendettas (or alternatively buy some special weapon squads with 2x flamer and a demo charge.)

This is mainly just going off lists I've seen others use against me.
    Not everyone uses amazing lists

I didn't want to go full mech, but I can't deny the effectiveness of veterans with meltas in chimeras.
    Fair enough, though you have the same amount of chimeras in your list as in my 1500 point mech vets list
    Everyone loves chimeltas (except our enemies mwhahahah.)

I wanted to get the demolitions doctrine for my veteran squads, but it seems a bit expensive.
    It is, especially for vets in chimeras, I would only really use it for vets in Vendettas.

At higher point values I think I'd like to add storm troopers and maybe another infantry platoon, but we'll worry about that later.
    5 storm troopers with 2xmelta/plasma seems to be the only way to play them completively (and they aren't all that great anyway)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Son said. I would replace Plasma gun with Grenade launcher and heavy bolter with Autocannon. Plus i would not really get the executioner. It is just so damned expensive. I would go for a demolisher. It is just freaking awesome and acts like a 'tank', either your opponent attacks it or it will destroy them so i feel it is just a really great damage sponge. I would also place a special weapons squad in the vendetta. Give them a demolition charge and maybe 2 flamers, whatever floats your boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyuben Vachkov View Post
    What Son said. I would replace Plasma gun with Grenade launcher and heavy bolter with Autocannon. Plus i would not really get the executioner. It is just so damned expensive. I would go for a demolisher. It is just freaking awesome and acts like a 'tank', either your opponent attacks it or it will destroy them so i feel it is just a really great damage sponge. I would also place a special weapons squad in the vendetta. Give them a demolition charge and maybe 2 flamers, whatever floats your boat.
    No offence dude, but why did you even bother posting this? you didn't post a single thing I hadn't already said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Ok let's see. Replacing the Plasma/Heavy Bolters with GL/AC and taking 2 demolishers instead of the battle tank and executioner brings me to 1390. With that I could get a special weapon squad for the vendetta and maybe some fancy toys for my platoon commands. Maybe I can kit them out with some GLs as well. I was sort of thinking that 3 plasma guns, a plasma pistol and a medic could work, but not for the amount of points I have left. I could potentially do a vet squad in the vendetta with demolitions, but I wouldn't be able to give them much in terms of weapons. Would it be better to go 1 demolisher and 1 battle tank? I don't have too much going for me in terms of range here.
    The enemy's gate is down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

You don't need long range always.

+ Reply to Thread