<2000 500pt Patrol/Task Force - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500pt Patrol/Task Force

hey everyone, making a new 500pt IG army so here's what i got:

CCS: Initial Cost
    Bolt Pistol
    Vox
    Carapace Armor
    Grenade Launcher
    Regimental Standard
    total= 97

Vet Squad 1: Initial Cost
    Bolt Pistol
    Autocannon Squad
    Vox
    Carapace Armor
    total = 117

Vet Squad 2:
    Bolt Pistol
    Grenade Launcher
    Vox
    Carapace Armor
    total = 112

Leman Russ Tank: Initial Cost
    Heavy Bolters (side sponsors)
    Stubber Turret
    total = 180

TOTAL: 506

i am aware i'm over by 6, and usually people suggest using chimera tanks for mobility, but is it completely necessary? i thought carapace would provide SOME form of protection. I use the voxes for that re-roll if i fail the tests.

My main tactic is to have my CCS directly support my 2 vet squads giving orders while my leman russ tank wreaks havoc and draws most of the fire.

But i would greatly appreciate any form of criticism or comments. Thanks very much!

Last edited by Rork; July 2nd, 2010 at 17:17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Carapace armour is terrible. As are side sponsons, and the stubber turret. Voxes I don't much like, but, whatever. Some like it. Regimental standard's not really worth it.

Never upgrade pistols, and you should edit out the individual point costs. It'll get you in bad mojo.

Edit: and you're only giving each vet squad ONE grenade launcher? Why? You can give them three grenade launchers and an autocannon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm... true with the carapace armor, i see myself putting too many eggs in one basket

how should i defend my veterans then? i've been reading and most have taken chimeras, but i'm not sure if it would be worth it or not

the grenade launcher idea sounds good, can i interchange the fark and krak on the fly? if that's the case i'd use them

here's a revised version

CCS:
    Regstandard
    Vox
    Lascannon
    total = 90

vet squad 1
    autocannon
    x3 grenade launchers
    vox
    total = 100

vet squad 2
    missile launcher
    x3 grenade launchers
    vox
    total = 105

Leman Russ
    H Bolters
    Stubber
    lascannon
    hunter killer missile
    total = 205

TOTAL = 500
    Last edited by Rork; July 2nd, 2010 at 17:15.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x5)

Again: Point TOTALS for a unit is fine, but you need to not post individual upgrade costs.

Your updated list is fine (it's got it's own fluff), and I or anyone could tell you how to properly min-max, but I still strongly encourage you to drop the upgrades off the russ.

If you drop ALL the upgrades off the russ, you can get a Chimera for a squad, or a scout sentinel with some cheap upgrades, OR an armoured sentinel with a multi-laser.

To the grenade launcher question: Yep, you can swap from frag to krak on the fly, it's part of the reason they're so awesome.

Chimeras: They're great. They're cheap, they get a good weapon (a multilaser), and you can give them a hull mounted heavy flamer for free. Even if you don't use it to transport troops, it is, at the very least, another vehicle on the table.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, yeah i see that, but if i choose not to use the chimeras and the carapace armor, does that make my vets cannon fodder? i can see the usefulness of them, but i'm very reluctant to give up my leman russ. I field it because of its' versatility with the bolters blazing and cutting down troops, while its' cannon devastates enemy armor and infantry alike.

but with the 'lumbering behemoth' rule, does that make my bolters useless? even if i don't move, i can only fire my main weapon while my h.bolters remain redundant.

the sentinels seems to be a good choice to field, as they are mobile turrets. The multi-laser sounds pretty tempting too. If i were to drop leman russ add-ons i'd probably drop the missile and the stubber, but if the bolters are redundant, i'd drop the missile and the bolters tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cKerensky is right about your Russ, do not place that many upgrades onto that tank. It's good, but don't rely on it for everything. The way I run my Leman Russ is with just a hull heavy bolter and sponson heavy bolters. It's cheap and has 9 HB shots going down the field + a battle cannon shot and that's pretty anti-infantry.

To answer your question, the Leman Russ CAN and WILL fire with all of it's armaments. That means you can fire the battle cannon and all 3 heavy bolters, how nice is that?!

If you are worried about your veterans being eaten up, there is an old IG secret to make sure things go your way...

Bring more infantry !!! Or hide in cover, wither way you're all set.

I say get the sentinel with the free points from the Leman Russ, even with a multi laser in such a small game you will be fine. Drop the regimental standard though, it won't do you too much with only two troops to support.

The main issue though I see... Read through the IG Codex and the 5th Edition Rule Book. You will understand the game better and be able to look at what you should purchase in the future

Good Luck!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahh, yeah that sounds good, i'll just have my vets play in more cover and more defensively

but with the battle cannon being ordnance, i am only able to fire that and nothing else, so should i save the cannon for long range/against armor shots? if that's the case, i'd probably move in close, get a chance to use by h.bolters to mince them up good rather than relying too heavily on a weapon that everything must stop for.

also, with all 3 h.bolters, i have to stop don't i? (str 5) so does that make me more vulnerable to troops with anti-tank weaponry?

i quite like the sentinel idea, but i'd like to know how you guys use it, i was thinking that i out flanks the infantry squad and it pours multi-las fire onto them and draw some fire itself while my troops get a better shot. is that about right?

Here's another updated list:

CCS
    vox
    lascannon
    total

vet squad 1
    x3 grenade launchers
    autocannon
    vox
    total = 100

vet squad 2:
    x3 grenade launchers
    missile launcher
    vox
    total = 105

leman russ:
    h.bolters
    total= 170

armored sentinel = 55

TOTAL= 505 points
    Last edited by Rork; July 2nd, 2010 at 17:14.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x5)

You can't fire all your heavy bolters. You can fire the battle cannon and a single hull mounted weapon. Edit: If you move. If you stay still you can fire everything. On that note, you should NOT be standing still.

Edit 2: and you're 5 points over. Drop the heavy bolters on the Russ. That'll give you extra points to put elsewhere.

Once more: Remove the individual upgrade point costs, or I'll have to report 'ya bud.
    Last edited by cKerensky; July 2nd, 2010 at 06:05.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GAH! sorry about that, i didn't realize there was a rule!

hmm... if i removed the h.bolters, i'f have enough to run 2 scout sentinels instead of just one armored one, but would it be wise to leave by leman russ just exposed like that? i suppose since it's a low-cost army

okay, here it goes again

CCS
    vox
    lascannon

vet squad 1
    vox
    x3 grenade launchers
    autocannon

vet squad 2
    vox
    x3 grenade launchers
    missile launcher
    total = 105

Leman Russ Tank = 150

x2 Scout Sentinels = 70

Total = 500 (on the dot!)

when i deploy however, is it wise to have the troops separate from the tank? i was thinking i have the 2 vets and ccs on one part, the scouts flanking from either end and the leman russ on a separate side from the infantrymen

also, these open topped scouts seem prone to dying, should i take a more cautious outlook to how i use them or a 'kamikaze' style where the rush in, guns blazing?
    Last edited by Rork; July 2nd, 2010 at 17:13. Reason: Points costs removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x5)

Its a patrol. Guns a blazing. Get them into assault and tie people up.
    Last edited by cKerensky; July 2nd, 2010 at 17:52.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast