<1000 IG 1000p Mech/Arm - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG 1000p Mech/Arm

Hello everyone!

Im on the way to start my new IG army for real, only played 500-750p with my IG before but now Im in for a serious list.

I want to play mechanized with the support of tanks. So ive put together a 1000p list and I would really like to have some reflections and advice regarding on how to build and play a mech army. Thoughts on the list itself and on tactical possiblities is appreciated.

The list will rather soon be expanded to 1500p so any thoughts on how to expand it is also joyfully recieved.

HQ
    CCS - 105p
    -Vox caster
    -Reg Standard
    -Carapace
    -Power weapon
    -Krak

Troops - 190p
    Veteran Squad
    -Vox
    -3x Meltaguns
    -Carapace
    + Chimera

Veteran Squad - 205p
    -Vox
    -3x Plasmaguns
    -Carapace
    + Chimera

Fast Attack
    Hellhound - 130p
    -Heavy flamer

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Battle tank (standard) -185p
    -Sponson Heavy Bolters
    -Lascannon

Leman Russ Demolisher - 185p
    - Heavy Flamer
    - Sponson Heavy Bolters

So, the first weaknesses I can see is the lack of scoring units and the lack of CC capacity (well its IG after all). But perhaps thats quite normal?

Anyway, any experienced, innovative or just tempted IG players out there, feel free to advice, criticise and/or thank me for solving the problem with besting all challenges possible in 40K.

And also, recommendations for expanding up to 1500p (500p difference) would be lovely. Though I have some thoughts already, more ideas would do nicely.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Welcome to LO!

First thing I see is your CCS has to many upgrades. I've had the most success using them as a bare bones shooting unit, either on foot or in a Chimera. Since your Vets are mounted, the Standard isn't helping anyone and their CC gear won't help them in assault, they're to weak. Try to get them a Chimera and some guns.

You can also drop the Voxes, Orders aren't very important to a Mech army and with Ld8 you will pass more often than not.

I'd drop the Carapace from the Vets, IG is all about spamming cheap troops with powerful guns, if they die you have more. Chimeras can absorb a lot of shooting is screened properly so it's unlikely your Vets will go down quickly. Also consider a HW in the vets, I've been using Lascannons in my 1750 list and they're amazing for opponents who have to come to me, which is every army but Tau.

Hellhound looks good, I'd give it a MM so it can bust armor, the turret gun makes it a bad idea to get close because you don't have too.

I never favor sponsons on Russes, they don't make their points back and Russes usually spend a lot of time Shaken/Stunned. I'd downgrade the Lascannon to a HF for the same reason, except the HF can really do damage if given the opportunity to fire.

Losing all your extra upgrades would let you mount and gun up the CCS and leave room for some extra, maybe Marbo or something. Also, are your Chimeras running ML/HF? I've found that to be the best setup, especially when using Vets aggressively.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess View Post
    Welcome to LO!

First thing I see is your CCS has to many upgrades. I've had the most success using them as a bare bones shooting unit, either on foot or in a Chimera. Since your Vets are mounted, the Standard isn't helping anyone and their CC gear won't help them in assault, they're to weak. Try to get them a Chimera and some guns.

Alright, Ive taken away the standard, Vox, Powerweapon and krak which gave back some points.
    I see the point in your statement. So the next step is to mount them up in a Chimera and give them more ranged firepower instead.

You can also drop the Voxes, Orders aren't very important to a Mech army and with Ld8 you will pass more often than not.

The voxes are now removed. However, now that the CCS is mounted, wont orders play a bigger part in the tactic? A mounted CCS squad will better be able to be close to the squads which are to be recieving the orders. Orders being more important, wont that make the voxes more useful?

I'd drop the Carapace from the Vets, IG is all about spamming cheap troops with powerful guns, if they die you have more. Chimeras can absorb a lot of shooting is screened properly so it's unlikely your Vets will go down quickly. Also consider a HW in the vets, I've been using Lascannons in my 1750 list and they're amazing for opponents who have to come to me, which is every army but Tau.

Hmm, I suppose the cost of carapace armour could be invested better. Like more firepower. However, wont the better save be usefull in firefights and raise the survivability overall? How about the Vet plasma squad? Wont the better sv minimize losses from the Gets Hot rule?

Hellhound looks good, I'd give it a MM so it can bust armor, the turret gun makes it a bad idea to get close because you don't have too.

Multi-Meltas is always good! Ill experiment with the Inferno/MM and Inferno/HF combinations to see what suits and work best.

I never favor sponsons on Russes, they don't make their points back and Russes usually spend a lot of time Shaken/Stunned. I'd downgrade the Lascannon to a HF for the same reason, except the HF can really do damage if given the opportunity to fire.

I dont have the experience yet to judge the sponsons. Though it pains me to remove firepower. However, a heavy flamer on a Leman Russ with the battle cannon? The HF is a close range weapon while the battlecannon is a long range weapon. Should I really change the HB to a HF then?

Losing all your extra upgrades would let you mount and gun up the CCS and leave room for some extra, maybe Marbo or something. Also, are your Chimeras running ML/HF? I've found that to be the best setup, especially when using Vets aggressively.

The Chimeras are indeed set up with ML/HF. Ill mount up the CCS and give them some firepower as adviced. Ill see what I will do with the rest of the points, taking your advices into account.
    Thank you for your reply and advice, its appreciated. Ill start to rework the rest of the list ASAP.

Any advice on how to expand this list further to 1500p?

Again, thanks for your time and attention Excess.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ:

Well, I have a hard time seeing what this unit is good for right now, everything is Mech except this. So, first suggestion, get them a ride ^^
    Reg standard can be usefull in Infantry, but not in Mech.
    Vox isn't necessary, only somewhat usefull in infantry armies. Orders are seldomly used in Mech except for the occasional Dismount-Disintigrate move. Drop it.
    Carapace, if you're riding in a Chimera, you have your protection already. You're not supposed to get out of it, that's why there are room for 5 men to shoot from the top of it
    Power weapons are quite unecessary, CC=Death anyways, and you should strive to stay out of it.
    Krak's aren't all to usefull either.

My suggestion is getting theese guys a set of 4 Meltaguns and a Chimera and then leae it at that. 145pts for some serious anti-tank or anti-MC.

TROOPS:
    Ah, the humble Chimelta. I'd drop the Vox and the Grenadiers, for reasons explained earlier.

Chiplasma, Chiplasma and thy deadly miasma. I'd drop Grenadiers and Vox on theese to. The 4+ isn't helping out that much either, and to me, its not worth the extra 30pts. Since once you buy something to keep them safer, they'll just die even more, such is the way of the dice gods when you get to Imperial Guard ^^

FAST ATTACK:
    Get the Hellhound a Multi-melta. Why you should take the MM over a HF? Simple, you should always move 7"+ with it, to get that all important safety from assault troops (6+ to hit). When moving at this speed, you cna fire one weapon. So, if there's infantry nearby, let loose the IC and if there's vehicles in proximity, send a MM shot their way. To make the HF usefull you'd have to move 6" or less, and move really close to the enemy. At this range, you're in great danger of assaults, and since you didn't move over 6", they'll hit you on 4+.

HEAVY SUPPORT:
    Drop sponsons on both. You're not loosing firepower, you're gaining mobility and survivability. The sponsons encourage you to stay still, which is a great no-no for vehicles. Always move with a tank, it allows you to move into cover, get to better firing positions and also makes assaults so much less scary. A moving tank is more scary than a stationary one. I'd myself kit both with HF. This is due to the fact that it is so much more helpfull than the HB. The HB might get a shot or two in through the game, and maybe couse a wound once in a while. But the HF allows you to move up, right into the face of the enemy (even in cover) and sear them into oblivion. This makes the tank so much more versitile, seeing as it's no a somewhat effective cover clearer to.

The only exception to this is to me to give the LRBT a Lascannon, seeing as this meshes nicely with it's use against transports (although, I still prefer the HF )

That should save you quite some pts. If there's enough left over,get a Marbo. He's quite a nasty surprise in low pts games

I wish you good luck in your games ^^

Cheers ^^
    http://refraintofsanity.blogspot.com/
    -"Oh God, this is going to take a while..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

The chances you'll fail a leadership test when giving orders is minimal, it's honestly not that huge of a deal. Vox networks can work, but it's never required.

As for your 4+ carapace armour, most everything shooting at your Veterans is going to be AP4 or better anyway. It's really not worth it. Give them demolitions or even forward sentries, both are actually very good (Demolitions is crazy good, Forward sentries isn't bad, but you need a lot of games under your belt to know when to or not to use it).

For Firepower, Prince suggests Lascannons, and on Vets...I disagree. Autocannons for me, but you could do much worse (IE: Missile Launchers). Either way, special weapons on Veterans is a good thing in my mind (even though I usually don't have the points to do so). It's making great use of their BS4 once your Veterans get to their point. (Veterans tend to be the unit you'll use to capture points in your opponents territory, where platoons hold points in your own).

The Hellhound/Multi-Melta combo is a strange one. Don't rely on it to pop tanks, but keep in mind that it can. It's strange. It's a BS3 shot, so it's not much, but it can play mind games with your opponent. Sometimes they'll ignore the Hellhound and you'll get an amazing Melta shot off, other times they'll draw fire away from your more important assets. It's pretty much one of the few vehicle upgrades that are worth paying points for. Either way, it's good to see you running Hellhounds. All 3 variants are pretty pimpin'. They're often overlooked for the Vendetta (which is understandable), but it IS possible to build an army around Hellhounds, or Devil Dogs (I have a few times, with good success).

Sponsons, ah, you need to play a few games to understand why not to run them. With Guard, more is always better. The Heavy Flamer on the Russ is in the inevitable moment where either the main gun gets shot off, or your enemy gets close. At that point, roast them. Heavy Flamers are amazing weapons. They'll get you more kills in a game then a Heavy Bolter will. Beisdes, your Russ really isn't an anti-tank vehicle anyway. LRBTs are best at killing infantry. So...when enemies get close...kill the more!

Chimeras. Noble Chimeras. Love 'em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A decent mech list i've run with at 1000 points...

Primaris Psyker-70 (rides with PCS)

1st Vet Squad-165
    Plasma Pistol
    X3 Melta guns
    Chim (ML-HF)

2nd Vet Squad-165
    Plasma Pistol
    X3 Melta guns
    Chim (ML-HF)

PCS-105
    X4 Flamers
    Chim (ML-HF)

1st Infantry Squad-65
    Heavy Bolter
    Grenade Launcher

2nd Infantry Squad-65
    Heavy Bolter
    Grenade Launcher

Armored Sentinel-75
    Plasma Cannon

Colossus-140
    (hull HF)

Hydra-75
    (hull H

Hydra-75
    (hull H

This list has held its own against CSM and Nids pretty well (its what my friends use). The Colossus allows no place to hide, and the Hydra's pop transports and mulches MC...

The Vets are there for any AV14 that might be on the table, and they do a fair job of reducing any squad in half they might come across...

The PCS w/Primaris when within range of all weapons is "genestealer" dice numbers... 4 flamers, 1 heavy flamer, and 1-12 lighting attacks... the number of dice your rolling on average can be silly for one attack...

The Sentinel is there for more AP2 death which its 3 foot range helps when flanking...

Most put AC on the infantry, but the haydra's fill that roll, so HB add another die, and I dont feel bad moving the squad if need be... instead of staying put

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zechno View Post
    Thank you for your reply and advice, its appreciated. Ill start to rework the rest of the list ASAP.

Any advice on how to expand this list further to 1500p?

Again, thanks for your time and attention Excess.

Cheers.
    Personally on the Russ, I'd go with the lascannon over the heavy bolter. It gives you another option for popping transports, keeps the long range, and gives you a chance to kill the SC in the marine squad that your battle cannon just ate .

+ Reply to Thread