<2000 2000 Point Marine Conversion Army, Need Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

2000 Point Marine Conversion Army, Need Help

* Pedro Kantor

200: 5x Sternguard, Powerfist, 2x Combi-meltas, Razorback

100: 5x Scout Marines, Powerfist (rides in LSS)

100: 5x Scout Marines, Powerfist (rides in LSS)

60: Land Speeder Storm, Heavy Flamer

60: Land Speeder Storm, Heavy Flamer

220: 10x Sniper Scouts, Camo cloaks, Sgt Tellion

180: 2x Land Speeder Typhoons (in a squadron)

210: 10x Devastator Marines, 4x Missile Launchers

210: 10x Devastator Marines, 4x Missile Launchers

* Whirlwind

=== REVISED BELOW ===
    Ok so here is the deal.

I was built this list when I asked for an 'airborne' chapter with a good use of scout models, that remained very shooty. I asked for this because I planned on making a 'Imperial Guard' cross over conversion, and scouts stick closer to elite guardsmen in the their abilities, with the Sternguards serving as my army's 'Kasirkin' elites.

My plans have changed however after browsing the model selection and brain storming conversion ideas. I instead have a much more difficult and entertaining conversion idea using the Marine Codex's rules. Thus I come to the Marine community here to assist me in building the most 'competitive' shooty marine army I can muster. Obviously the conversion is going to be costly in comparison to standard models, thus I want a list that will play well and play hard for a long good while to make the most of my monies.

Thus I do not care what units are used, so long as the emphesis is placed in gun play and not melee marines. I particularly love the Sternguard special munitions, and the lethality of Sgt. Telion, but I am game for just about anything so long as it shoots hard, and will give nearly anyone a run for their money.

The point size we use here in my region is 2000pts.

Thank you for your help in advance, and rep is always rewarded by Serran to contributors!

Last edited by Serran; July 31st, 2010 at 04:42.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

=HQ=

Pedro Kantor ~ *

=TROOPS=

Ten Man Scout Squad ~ 230
    ~Sgt. Telion
    ~Heavy Bolter
    ~Camo Cloaks
    ~Sniper Rifles

Ten Man Tactical Squad ~ 175
    ~Melta Bombs
    ~Flamer

=ELITES=

Sternguard Veterans ~ 200
    ~Powerfist
    ~x2 Combi-meltas
    ~Razorback

~Powerfist
    ~x2 Combi-meltas
    ~Razorback

~Powerfist
    ~x2 Combi-meltas
    ~Razorback

=FAST ATTACK=

Land Speeder ~ 100
    ~Multi-melta
    ~Typhoon Missile Launcher

Land Speeder ~ 100
    ~Multi-melta

=HEAVY SUPPORT=

Land Raider ~ *

Land Raider ~ *

Whirlwind ~ *

=== REVISED BELOW ===
    Double post perhaps, but I have modified the list here. However I have run into a question/problem.

Combi Weapons and Storm Bolters. Can I buy the upgrade Storm Bolters for all five Sterngaurd, then give two of them the melta combination?

What do you folks think of the list currently, and what do you think on the Storm Bolter question?
    Last edited by Serran; July 31st, 2010 at 04:42.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

To answer your question: No, you cannot. Stormbolters and Combi-weapons are separate weapons. You can't even combine Stormbolters with Special Ammunition, due to the way the rule is written, so I'd suggest leaving them right out entirely.

I'd like to know what you're doing with 2 Land Raiders. I see a rideless tactical squad that one can go in....but that sniper unit should be feet-wet and firing down range every turn that they can., and the Sternguard already have Razerbacks. To be frank, Land Raiders are best used as delivery vehicles for scary close combat squads. They're quite a bit overpriced for most other roles.

Why are you adding multi-meltas to the Typhoon Speeders? TMLs are very much long-ranged weapons, whereas the MMs are very short ranged. I guess the duality of purpose kinda makes sense, but it does detract from focus (which really is what ought to be done with something that fragile)

If you're purely looking for hard shooting, there's some other Codexes that you could consider too. Space Wolves get the most cost-effective weapons teams of any marine army, and their troop choices are amoung the best in the game too, AND some of the best shooty spells for their spellcasters in the game. Blood Angels also get cheap, effective weapons teams, plus a ton of options for fast and mobile tanks, *and* their assault squads can get cheaper raiders then in any other codex. They also do Airborne lists extremely well, with the Storm Ravens.

Also, welcome back. :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

Well the Land Raiders were to be used as mobile cover once teams dismounted. They are scary transporting tanks with AV14, and if I place them between my Sterngaurd and other infantry squads I can effectively block all LOS with an AV14 mobile shield wall.

I know from playing Tau, that even with Str 10 AP 1 railguns I will not waste shots on AV14 unless I have to. Might not be a viable tactic, I bow to actual Marine player logic.

Basically I want to cram as much firepower into a 2000 pt list as possible and be competitive. While I am willing to include a token amount of melee combatants, I would prefer to remain as ranged as possible. I am also avoiding Psycic abilities because I have a habit of imploding my brain when I roll my perils of the warp 'save'.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

Raider walls really don't work all that well. They're big and tough to kill, but they're crazy expensive and just as vulnerable to melta death as most any other vehicle.

Since you're a tau player, I suggest looking into Codex: Blood Angels. Between Storm Ravens and Land Speeders, they can field quite effective airborne forces, which ought to play quite similarly to what you're used to. Scout Marines can function exactly the same as Kroot do for you, and there's some other options in there as well that might interest you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

=HQ=

Librarian Epostilary ~ 153
    ~Storm Bolter
    ~Blood Lance
    ~Smite

=TROOPS=

Scouts x5 ~ 115
    ~Sniper Rifles
    ~Camo Cloaks
    ~Locator Beacon

Scouts x5 ~ 115
    ~Sniper Rifles
    ~Camo Cloaks
    ~Locator Beacon

Assault Squad ~ 151

=ELITES=

Sternguard Veterans ~ 160
    ~Combi-Melta x2
    ~Powerfist

Sanguinary Priests x3 ~ 195
    ~Combi-Melta x2
    ~Jump Pack

Sternguard Veterans ~ 160
    ~Combi-Melta x2
    ~Powerfist

=FAST ATTACK=

Land Speeder ~ 90
    ~Typhoon Missile Launchers

Land Speeder ~ 90

Land Speeder ~ 90

=HEAVY SUPPORT=

Storm Raven Gunship ~ 226
    ~Twin Linked Lascannon
    ~Search Light

~Twin Linked Lascannon
    ~Search Light

~Twin Linked Lascannon
    ~Search Light

Total = 1997 pts

=== REVISED BELOW ===
    Alright here is my reworked Marines using the Blood Angel's codex.

This list was built with a lot of mobile firepower and difficult to remove infantry. Cover ignoring fire from the Sternguard is to be used to remove enemies from entrenched positions and otherwise play aggressive. Chicken scout squads are used for a few purposes depending on case. With locator beacons and infiltrate I can bring my Landspeeders and Storm Ravens onto the field with pinpoint deepstrikes, and having two of them keeps the enemy guessing. The scouts can also hold home objectives and other such while every now and then causing some casualties with sniper fire.

Assault Marines do what they do, and the Librarian can join whatever squad his extra firepower is needed. He is pretty much more mobile firepower. Plus I needed an HQ choice =P

Suggestions or major flaws in my list are welcome.

P.S. Priests go with Sternguard and Assault teams, hence one jump pack only.
    Last edited by Serran; August 1st, 2010 at 13:52.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

You've certainly got the right idea, but there's some space for nitpicking in here. :p

1) As for as spells go, Smite is one that I've personally found to be a little underwhelming. I suggest considering Shield of Sanguinus, Sanguine Sword, or Unleash Rage.
    2) You're a little short on the scoring units for 2000 points. I suggest a couple extra squads of CC scouts to mount in the Ravens. Take full advantage of that Fast Skimmer Assault Vehicle, my friend. It's a beautiful thing.
    3) Honestly, I'd probably drop a Storm Raven. I'd certainly rethink their wargear. Between the TL Lascannon, the TMLS, and the 4 Bloodstrike missiles the things will murder most tanks...but they're expensive vehicles, and their firepower against AV14 and Infantry is limited. Consider swapping some of the current wargear in favour of the TL Multimelta, or the TL Assault Cannon. Also consider some Hurricane Bolter sponsons. Defensive weapons are your friends on fast vehicles.
    4) Pass on the Locator Beacons. 2 5-man squads of Sniper Scouts are rather vulnerable to Alpha-Strike, especially when the rest of the force won't even consider arriving until turn 2. Instead, come off of the reserves normally and use mobility and ranged weapons on your Speeders and Raiders to get the shots you need, or just start with them on the board and behind something.
    5) Sanguinary Priests are great units, but they're most efficient when used with 10 man squads, or on units that you want charging things. Sternguard should pretty much always be putting those amazing bolters of theirs to good use. If your plan is to mount them in the Ravens and use them as delivery vehicles....that's not a bad combination, actually. Not the most efficient, but certainly not bad thanks to the glories of Special Ammunition. At that point, I'd suggest adding a couple extra guys to each squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

If I drop a Storm Raven I can easily fill out the Sternguard squads, and if I drop the locator beacons I can add a couple more scout squads or even another assault squad. As to their wargear... I did not take all that heavy firepower for killing vehicles so much as MCs. I play a lot of Nids here, and they all go heavy on T6 monsterous critters... and I need things that can garuntee as many wounds as possible as fast as possible on single targets. My main foes are Nids, Guard, Necrons, and the occasional Farsight Tau list.

The guard uses lots of armor, the nids use countless MCs, necrons are necrons, and the Tau fellow stacks up on XV8s. All of those things need low AP weapons. On top of that, the Hurricane Bolters seemed lack luster being only three twin linked bolters... and the Blessing of the Omnissiah lets the Ravens fire at least one weapon no matter the situation, including flat out movement.

Librarian... Shield of Sanguinus seems useless when 50% of the time I have a 4+ cover save already from terrain. Unless it stacks with other modifiers it doesn't seem worth casting very often. Blood Lance = glorious. It sounds like it can even be cast into melees, as it's not a targetting spell and it does not hit friendly units. I also considered Unleash Rage and Fear of Darkness, but ended up choosing more shooty over random effects, since I planned on joining him with one of the Sternguard teams. I ignored Fear of Darkness however because it's useless against Nids.

In anycase here is a revision, I only swapped on Storm Raven to anti-infantry type roll, but might do so to both depending on your response to my above posted concerns regarding loosing the high powered weapons. Also... Plasma Cannon or TL Assault Cannon? Assault Cannon has shorter range but more shots... plasma cannon has longer range, but is also a 1 shot weapon with scatter. Though the Plasma Cannon can handle more heavily armored opponents.

=HQ=

Librarian Epostilary ~ 153
    ~Storm Bolter
    ~Blood Lance
    ~Unleash Rage

=TROOPS=

Scouts x8 ~ 114
    ~Blades and Pistols

Scouts x5 ~ 90
    ~Sniper Rifles
    ~Camo Cloaks

Scouts x5 ~ 90
    ~Sniper Rifles
    ~Camo Cloaks

Assault Squad ~ 151

=ELITES=

Sternguard Veterans x8 ~ 235
    ~Combi-Melta x2
    ~Powerfist

Sanguinary Priests x3 ~ 205
    ~Combi-Melta x2
    ~Jump Pack
    ~Hand Flamer

Sternguard Veterans x8 ~ 235
    ~Combi-Melta x2
    ~Powerfist

=FAST ATTACK=

Land Speeder ~ 90

Land Speeder ~ 90

Land Speeder ~ 90

=HEAVY SUPPORT=

~Twin Linked Lascannon
    ~Search Light

Storm Raven Gunship ~ 231
    ~Heavy Bolter
    ~Twin Linked Assault Cannon
    ~Hurricane Bolter Sponsoons
    ~Search Light

Total = 2000 pts

=== REVISED BELOW ===
    Last edited by Serran; August 1st, 2010 at 13:52.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

Looking good, but I honestly suggest rigging your Ravens for use against tanks *and* infantry. They've got Machine Spirits, so it's not overly difficult for them. I usually run mine with a Multimelta (good against tanks), Assault Cannon (good against everything), and Hurricane Bolters (good against infantry). Make sure you give them both the same loadout, whatever you do, otherwise your opponent will just focus fire on whatever one he thinks is scarier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

The blood strike missiles are not enough when it comes to Anti-tank?

STorm Raven #2 is good at killing both tanks and infantry, or is the Multi-melta a better idea?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast