<2000 Escalation of my Space Wolves (1,500 and 2k) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Escalation of my Space Wolves (1,500 and 2k)

Well after extensive playtesting with my 1k wolf force, this is what I am pretty sure I will be doing to build up to 1,500 and then 2k

1500 pt List

Rune Priest
    Runic Armor

Rune Priest
    Runic Armor

5 Wolf Guard
    3 Powerfists + Combi-meltas
    2 Powerfists + Combi-plasma

6 Wolf Scouts
    Meltagun
    Meltabombs

8 Grey Hunters
    Meltagun
    MotW
    Wolf Standard
    Rhino

8 Grey Hunters
    Meltagun
    MotW
    Wolf Standard
    Rhino

8 Grey Hunters
    Plasmagun
    MotW
    Wolf Standard
    Rhino

8 Grey Hunters
    Plasmagun
    MotW
    Wolf Standard
    Rhino

6 Long Fangs
    5 Missile Launchers

6 Long Fangs
    5 Missile Launchers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the 2k list Ill be adding in 5 Wolf Guard Terminators with an assortment of weapons, Wolf Tail Talismans on both the Priests, and a dedicated landraider for the Wolf Guard Termies.

"I am the architect of fate!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Hey

Yes, you have finally gotten a solid grasp for what the Wolves are all about. I like the list. There is not need to go into detail, because I gave you the feedback for your 1K list, and because this list is awesome. It would be good to know how it is fairing for you. I noticed 2 wins and a lose uner your belt. Do you mind telling us about them?

What I will comment on is what you ar planning on doing next. I truly believe that a 500+ Wolf Guard squad in Termie Armor is one of the most valuable additions you can make to your Space Wolves list, however, having said that, there are other options that I would think you would be better off considering before you become a "bold" SW player. I believe that you could do well with a Fast Attack choice. The list you are fielding is somewhat subtle in theory ( not sure how you play ), and relies on the enemy commiting themselves first before any real damage can be inflicted. Without any fast units storming up to the frontlines, and then luring the enemy out into a crossfire, this will prove difficult when you start playing higher points matches.

Therefore, I would advise that you consider investing in one or two squads of Thunderwolf Cavalry, or Land Speeder Typhoons. With 500 points at your disposal, you can easily field two squads of one of these units. It will also allow you to further prioritize what you shoot, as these fast units will need support, and when you focus fire onto a squad that has just suffered a beating from a few Thunderwolves, or has been obliterated by some Typhoon Missiles, you take away the advantage that the opponent had with this particular squad(s), thus making your opponent drastically change their tactics, which usuaully results in them commiting themselves early in the match, and making a terrible mistake.

So the choice is yours, but based on my experience, this is what I would be considering first: a squad that will work ahead of the army, instead of providing more of a bulk for the core.

Good Hunting.
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

Well, the loss was more my own fault and some inopportune poor dice rolls.

Basically what happened was one of my grey hunter units got the charge off on a 310 pt unit of blood angel assault marines with sang. priest after the unit wrecked their rhino with melta. 2 turns later the assault marines were wiped off the board and only 2 grey hunters had died. Because of this I kind of got gung ho about taking the fight to the enemy and forgot it was an objective mission.

I would have pulled out a draw but one of my whittled down grey hunter packs that was holding an objective failed a morale check from shooting and ran 11 inches off the objective on the last turn.

The two wins were annihilation games. Basically with both games I gunned my rhino's to the middle of the board, popped smoke, and waited for my opponents to get near so I could assault out of them. I set up the rhinos so I would only have to pop smoke on one of them at a time and still have the other two in cover behind it. Again my enemy would immobilise or wreck them with close weapons like meltas so I was able to assault out of them (or from behind the wrecks) on my turns

I really like the idea of 2 rune priests giving me a selection of psychic powers, but I may end up just dropping one so i can get two land speeders and still have the wolf guard termies and land raider at 2k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

This is something along the lines of what I am thinking taking your suggestions into account.

1500 pt List

Rune Priest
    Runic Armor
    Wolf Tooth Necklace
    Jaws of the World Wolf
    Living Lightning

5 Wolf Guard
    3 Powerfists + Combi-meltas
    2 Powerfists + Combi-plasma

6 Wolf Scouts
    Meltagun

8 Grey Hunters
    Meltagun
    MotW
    Wolf Standard
    Rhino

8 Grey Hunters
    Meltagun
    MotW
    Wolf Standard
    Rhino

8 Grey Hunters
    Plasmagun
    MotW
    Wolf Standard
    Rhino

8 Grey Hunters
    Plasmagun
    MotW
    Wolf Standard
    Rhino

Landspeeder
    Multimelta
    Heavy Flamer

Landspeeder
    Multimelta
    Heavy Flamer

6 Long Fangs
    5 Missile Launchers

6 Long Fangs
    5 Missile Launchers
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; August 1st, 2010 at 09:22.

+ Reply to Thread