<2000 1500 point BA (first try) C&C please. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

1500 point BA (first try) C&C please.

Right... this is my first try to make a list with the new Blood angel codex.

HQ
    Captain -140
    2x Lightning claws
    combi-melta

Elites
    Furioso dreadnought with blood talons - 160
    Drop pod

Furioso dreadnought with blood talons - 160
    Drop pod

Sternguard veterans x10 - 305
    4x combi-meltas
    Drop pod

Troops
    Assault squad x10 - 255
    2x melta
    powerfist
    Rhino (no jump packs)

Assault squad x9 - 227 (captain goes here)
    1x melta
    powerfist
    Rhino (no jump packs)

Heavy support
    Dreadnought - 125
    2x Twin linked autocannons

Dreadnought - 125
    2x Twin linked autocannons

Total = 1496

2 furioso dreads drop in first turn making big distraction possibly blowing up a couple tanks.
    2 fast rhinos zoom up the board ready to drop assault marines into combat turn 2
    Sternguard drop in, possibly combat squading to help take out infantry/tanks.
    Riflemen dreads shoot up enemy transports and infantry all game from the backfield (possibly contesting home objectives.)

Good? bad? ugly?.. give me your opinions please...

Last edited by Triorchin; August 5th, 2010 at 15:26.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

HQ: Drop the Combi-Melta, since he can't use it due to having twin Lightning Claws.

Elites: Add 2 more Combi-Meltas here instead, so if you split the squad they have 3 shots each. You want those tanks dead, don't you?

Troops: Yeah okay. I'd try to find points to give the Sergeant an Infernus Pistol, but not sure where you'd get the points.

Heavy: Good.

While most of the elements of this army are good choices individually, I can't help but feel the army doesn't work as a whole. It's three very separate sections which doesn't work well together. Your Rifleman Dreads are vulnerable and you have too few units to claim/contest objectives (2). You have very little anti-horde. A clever opponent will isolate or tie up the Assault Squads and after that, he's won. If your opponent reserves his army, what are you going to do with two CC Dreadnoughts lumbering around just waiting to get shot and two Ranged Dreadnoughts waiting to get outflanked?

Captain is a little pointless, I think. It's a lot of points tied up in something that isn't going to do a lot for you. I would swap this for a Librarian to give you a 5+ cover save for your Rhinos at least, along with some psychic defence.

Overall, I think the Sternguard are the weak link in the chain. Perhaps look at swapping this for a Librarian Furioso w/ Drop Pod? Provides some much needed support for the other two with Shield/Blood Lance. With points left over, I would split one of the 10-man Assault Squads into 2 x 5-man Assault Squads w/ Melta, in a Las/Plas Razorback each.

Just my 2c.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendove View Post
    Your Rifleman Dreads are vulnerable and you have too few units to claim/contest objectives

I was going to have a tactical squad, I dropped them for a scout squad, then I worked out I didn't have enough points so I dropped them.

Captain is a little pointless, I think. It's a lot of points tied up in something that isn't going to do a lot for you. I would swap this for a Librarian to give you a 5+ cover save for your Rhinos at least, along with some psychic defence.

That's exactly what I was thinking... I just wanted to use the model, oh well.

Overall, I think the Sternguard are the weak link in the chain. Perhaps look at swapping this for a Librarian Furioso w/ Drop Pod? Provides some much needed support for the other two with Shield/Blood Lance. With points left over, I would split one of the 10-man Assault Squads into 2 x 5-man Assault Squads w/ Melta, in a Las/Plas Razorback each.

Another dreadnought... I though I was going a little bit dredy mad already the more the merrier . Ive never used the las/plas razorbacks before... though overheating-free plasma guns do sound good to me
    The only problem I can see after those changes is, aren't I a little low on ranged anti infantry?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

The only problem I can see after those changes is, aren't I a little low on ranged anti infantry?
    From what I've read throughout the forums. BA were designed to be a horde style marine army. Lots of models, getting into combat and dishing out the damage there. Obviously each persons own army lists will be based around the idea, but differ slightly. Whether your low on anti-infantry or not matters against who you will be playing. If you have ork/nid/tau/guard players at your shop you might want some more anti-troop guns, if your playing against marines and their equivalents you should be okay as their numbers would be similar to yours. If your going for a balanced tournament list, then you have to figure out what would work best for you.

Another dreadnought... I though I was going a little bit dredy mad already the more the merrier . Ive never used the las/plas razorbacks before... though overheating-free plasma guns do sound good to me
    First thing I thought of when I saw the new codex was death company and dreadnoughts. But dreadnoughts are a point sink. My suggestion, try to make every unit capable of everything. Leave one or two units solely for the purpose of taking out big tanks, land raiders and such. But unless your playing against a mech marine or guard list, you don't need to go overboard on anti-tank guns.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

I would have more assault marines... but I love dreadnoughts too much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathofskulls View Post
    My suggestion, try to make every unit capable of everything.
    Actually, I would say the opposite. Broadening the role a unit plays serves only to dilute it's effectiveness. It's not like Space Marine units in general aren't multi-purpose anyway!

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

From what I've read throughout the forums. BA were designed to be a horde style marine army. Lots of models, getting into combat and dishing out the damage there.
    Nope. You're confusing BA with Space Wolves...you know, those guys with Marines that have better rules and are cheaper than standard SM tac squads. BA armies were geared through the codex to be a fast assault oriented army (not horde). Through the mechanics of 5th edition and their rules they end up as a small elite CC/mech army. A general BA list will have fewer scoring units/models than an SM or SW army of the same points size.

My suggestion, try to make every unit capable of everything.
    A bad idea. A unit that is good at everything is a unit that is good at nothing. The base SM statline and rules like ATSKNF and Combat Squads give us our multi-purpose flexibility. Outside of that squads need to be geared toward one or two general roles to be effective (example: 10 ASM, x2 melta and PF is good for tank hunting but is also a fair hand at CC). In general BA don't really need to be geared towards anti-horde work as that role is built into them already. Blood Angels dispense anit-horde via the business end of a chainsword, things like tank hunting and anti-MEQ are done with the special weapons.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Nope. You're confusing BA with Space Wolves...you know, those guys with Marines that have better rules and are cheaper than standard SM tac squads. BA armies were geared through the codex to be a fast assault oriented army (not horde). Through the mechanics of 5th edition and their rules they end up as a small elite CC/mech army. A general BA list will have fewer scoring units/models than an SM or SW army of the same points size.
    By horde army, I meant an army that takes full advantage of its troop choices & its jump troops.

A bad idea. A unit that is good at everything is a unit that is good at nothing. The base SM statline and rules like ATSKNF and Combat Squads give us our multi-purpose flexibility. Outside of that squads need to be geared toward one or two general roles to be effective (example: 10 ASM, x2 melta and PF is good for tank hunting but is also a fair hand at CC). In general BA don't really need to be geared towards anti-horde work as that role is built into them already. Blood Angels dispense anit-horde via the business end of a chainsword, things like tank hunting and anti-MEQ are done with the special weapons.
    A thunder hammer, or a powerfist in a squad. Leave the primary members of the squad with their normal weapons, but a TH/PF means the squad can take on a tank or MC if their forced into a sticky situation.

As far as chainswords taking out horde armies. IF I'm facing a squad of 15-20+ combat orks, or hormaguants. I'd think twice before charging that mob with my 10 assault marines with a powerfist & 2 meltas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

545 (x8)

A thunder hammer, or a powerfist in a squad. Leave the primary members of the squad with their normal weapons, but a TH/PF means the squad can take on a tank or MC if their forced into a sticky situation.
    Quite. And the Melta means it can take out vehicles.

As far as chainswords taking out horde armies. IF I'm facing a squad of 15-20+ combat orks, or hormaguants. I'd think twice before charging that mob with my 10 assault marines with a powerfist & 2 meltas
    I'm not sure why you wouldn't, to be honest. Assuming you get the charge on a group of 20 Boyz, you should statistically be killing half the squad (10.21 wounds). If you have Furious Charge, that increases to 11.95. The remaining 10 Orks (including Nob w/ Power Klaw) will on average kill 2.32 Marines. Giving you a fairly large win margin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Quite. And the Melta means it can take out vehicles
    Don't believe DC can take melta weapons.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't, to be honest. Assuming you get the charge on a group of 20 Boyz, you should statistically be killing half the squad (10.21 wounds). If you have Furious Charge, that increases to 11.95. The remaining 10 Orks (including Nob w/ Power Klaw) will on average kill 2.32 Marines. Giving you a fairly large win margin.
    I'm curious about your statistics. Do they come from a computer program or do you roll the dice yourself? Statistically, yes you should do well. A persons individual dice, may not benefit him so well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast