<1000 1k competitive attempt - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1k competitive attempt

So I've decided to start playing more competitively, and have been reading up on what makes a good list and i think i'm pretty close. I was going for a list very similar to SandWyrm's 1k mech list, although i decided to try a platoon squad out.

So my general idea for this list would be using the vets and psyker to take objectives upfield, and the platoon squad to babysit the home objective. The sentinels could be main transport poppers or even tarpit assault based squads, while the hellhound and LRBT will thin out the infantry or go after Armor if they can.

Primaris Psyker 70

Veteran Squad w/ 3x Melta Guns, Chimera ML HF 155
    Veteran Squad w/ 3x Melta Guns, Chimera ML HF 155

Infantry Platoon
    Platoon Command Squad w/ 2x Grenade Launchers and Autocannon 50
    Infantry Squad w/ Grenade Launcher and Autocannon 65
    Infantry Squad w/ Grenade Launcher and Autocannon 65

Scout Sentinel w/ Autocannon x3 120

Hellhound w/ Multi-Melta 145

Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ hull lascannon 165
    Total= 990

So let me know what you guys think, i've never been in a tournament before but my local game club wants to start hosting games again and i thought this would be a good way to start. Also what are your thoughts on the platoon squad? Should i just swap them out for another melta vet squad and go full mech, or are they ok sitting on home objectives with the autocannons and g-launchers? thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Ok. I might prefer a CCS with standard to give loads of orders to the platoon and keep them happy by waving the flag.

Troops: Fine

Fast: Expensive but multi role. You could replace this for a vendetta, move a CCS to babysit the platoon squads and place the PCS with 4 flamers in the vendetta.

Heavy: Drop a GL from the PCS and with your 10 spare points upgrade this to a Demolisher with hull LC. The S10 ordnance really compliments the lascannon in antitank and also shooting termies.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    HQ: Ok. I might prefer a CCS with standard to give loads of orders to the platoon and keep them happy by waving the flag.
    Whats a good gear loadout for the CCS if its going to babysit the Platoon? I'd prefer the CCS over the Psyker as well after thinking about it. I've only ever ran my CCS mech so i'm not sure of common setups for holding a platoon line.

Fast: Expensive but multi role. You could replace this for a vendetta, move a CCS to babysit the platoon squads and place the PCS with 4 flamers in the vendetta.
    I like the idea but i think i'll stick with the hellhound for now, it has been pretty successful for me.

Heavy: Drop a GL from the PCS and with your 10 spare points upgrade this to a Demolisher with hull LC. The S10 ordnance really compliments the lascannon in antitank and also shooting termies.
    I agree with you, consider it done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going to run a morale/orders CCS then it sits pretty at 5 pts less than your Primaris. But then you're wasting those lovely BS4 vets n 4 spl wpns. If you squeezed the pts from other unit upgrades they would add a BS4 AC and actually are a decent sniper unit, as a babysitter unit you can squeeze all that n a flag waver for under a ton. Which is a primaris n scout sentinel with change. This would bring the pain to an MC if combined and given the right order (I have had some pleasing results from snipers/AC which can be twinlinked on an MC,though you feel cheated when not all your BS4 hit that turn!!). Another option is to take MoO instead of unit shootiness, this can keep them outof sight and dropping Basilisk templates anywhere on the the table,but with a degree of inaccuracy that will still panic the average horde army. It's what you prefer using and what works for you gameplay style. I run a MoO based plt spt CCS as well as a tank popping MG CCS while the PCS is a 4flamer +PlasPist objective cleanser/horde upsetter. The PCS is really shocking to non-MEQ armies as it can lay the hurt on light troops and cover craving units. Do you know how many gaunts fit under 4 flamers? enough to get your PCS royally humped in the following turns, which is great fire attraction for a sixty pt unit, which is a boon in my eyes as the rest of your army is thinking 'he's going mad over the army's cheapest squad!!' I've had 2 trukk loads of meganobs n boyz actually dismount early to eradicate a PCS then realised the trap when the Demolisher rolled up and planted a lovely large template over 3/4 of the consolidated horde...

I think keeping the hellhound and swapping the Scouts n hull LC for a vend is a better Anti armour option, though remember it doesn't flit about without losing some of it's 3times TL Lascannon loveliness. I run 2 of these babies, they can reliable turn over heavy armour or really upset MCs in a turn, but do attract alot of heat as they physically so huge!! but then as I said earlier, is one element is attracting alot of incomming then the other elements are not being targetted. Give the opponent a list of very dangerous pain givers and he'll often flumux his battle strategy.

Demolisher is another shot attracter, but has the bonus of being hvy armour and so does have some surviveability. IMO the hull LC gives it an extra range option, I ran this for a while and never hit with the thing, points I feel are better spent on a more dedicated option elsewhere (its an AC on your babysitter CCS), the Dem canon is scary enough and can reach 30" which usally will bring into range on most battles in turn 1.
    Last edited by DieLaughin; October 14th, 2010 at 10:47. Reason: correction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So here is the revised list, what do you think?

CCS w/ auto cannon,2x sniper 70

Veteran Squad w/ 3x Melta Guns, Chimera ML HF 155 Veteran Squad w/ 3x Melta Guns, Chimera ML HF 155

Infantry Platoon Platoon Command Squad w/ 4x flamers 50 (rides in vendetta) Infantry Squad w/ Grenade Launcher and Autocannon 65 Infantry Squad w/ Grenade Launcher and Autocannon 65

Hellhound w/ Multi-Melta 145

Vendetta 130

Leman Russ Demolisher 165

So the CCS will sit back giving orders to the platoon and shooting at whatever they can. The platoon will hold the closest objective. The two vet squads will go offensive and take out whatever they can while staying close enough to sprint back to any objectives. PCS will primarily be used to clear off objectives and zoom around in the vendetta. And finally the hellhound and demolisher will run around clearing hoard and mech alike. I've never ran an army like this, does this sound like decent tactics or am i running this list wrong? thanks

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

The snipers have very variable results. I'd be more inclined to replace them with grenade launchers or plasma guns if you have the points. If you are going to field an unmounted CCS, I recommend giving them camo cloaks to give them greater durability.

The demolisher, vendetta and hellhound are all decent high threat bullet sinks. Kill transports, kill vehicles, and then work on troops with these.

Personally I'm not inclined to dismount the PCS early in the game. As long as the vendetta is up and running, the vendetta is a defacto scoring unit while the PCS is inside. Being able to turbo boost, makes late game objective grabbing easier.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point level I find maximum mobility and range are your best weapons as most other expensive forces will be fielding dulled down versions of their higher point counterparts in smaller numbers with one or two super units...

A list like the one below offers momentum and range...

CCS-165
    X4 plasma guns
    Chim (ML-HF)

Vets-165
    X3 melta guns
    autocannon
    Chim (ML-HF)

PCS-125
    plasma pistol
    X2 melta guns
    X2 flamers
    Chim (ML-HF)

Infantry-75(rides in vendetta)
    plasma gun
    autocannon

Infantry-75(rides in vendetta)
    plasma gun
    autocannon

Vendetta-130

Vendetta-130

Medusa-135

You have a fully mechanized force, 4 scoring units, and serious AP weapons with range...

+ Reply to Thread