<2000 1500 point Competitive - Feedback Needed! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

1500 point Competitive - Feedback Needed!

Alright, so my brother is starting the Imperial Guard, and I want to know what everyone here thinks of his list:

HQ
    Company Command Squad - 275
    Straken, Meltagun, Regimental Standard, Medi-pack, Meltagun, Carapace armour, Chimera+HB+HF

Troops

Veteran Squad - 165
    Meltagun, Grenadiers, Chimera+HB+HF

Veteran Squad - 165
    Meltagun, Grenadiers, Chimera+HB+HF

Fast Attack

Hellhound+Multi-Melta - 145

Devil Dog+Multi-Melta - 135

Bane Wolf+Multi-Melta - 145

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Executioner+HF+Sponson Multis - 220

Leman Russ Vanquisher+HF+Sponson Multis+Pask - 235

Total - 1485

Any ideas for the last 15 points, or comments on the list at all?

Tau Empire: We never stop hiding from you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I'm no expert on IG as I just started them, I've looked around the forums quite a bit and here are a few things I've picked up.
    1. Carapace armour is usually not worth it unless you are going for a fluff list, with the points you save there you'd be able to pick up another vet squad.
    2. Not sure about your Russ choices but I know most people argue against sponsons as it requires you to stay still to fire them which then leaves your tank vulnerable to meltabombs and powerfists as they get an auto hit.
    3. As most of the missions nowadays are objective based you will need more troops. The usually Chimelta spam works pretty well (vets w/ 3 melta guns and a chimera with ML/Hull HF).
    4. Your command squad while sounds awesome I believe can be taken down pretty easily, I played Ravenwing for years and a single Tornado Landspeeder can take out the entire squad in one turn (except maybe for Straken). I've seen a lot of cheap builds with just 4 flamers or if you want them to sit around grenade launchers and an autocannon.

Anyways that's just my 2 cents, there's lots of more experiences players out there who can give you even more advice. Good luck!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I agree.

HQ: Too expesive. Drop carapace, medic and straken. Take 3 special weapons and stay in the tank.

Troops: always max out the special weapons. There is hardly any reason to get out of the chimera so don't and drop carapace. You need another 10 vets or a cheap 175 point paltoon on foot with AC/GL.

Fast: OK but I would drop one for troops if you need points. Replacing one for a vendetta could be nice for the third troop choice to ride in.

Heavy: MM sponsons are poor as you can't really move and fire them and enemy tanks are unlikely to park within 12" of a MM armed russ. Ececutioner needs plasma sponsons. Vanquisher needs hull Lascannon and no sponsons. I would ditch Pask too and look for more troops or a third tank. 3 basic russ/demolishers are better than 2 with sponson and other upgrades.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not a very good list to be honest. I'll comment from top to bottom. First, you have too many upgrades on the ccs. If you want to go mech you should drop everything except the meltas, and then add two more of them. I don't see why you've put Straken in a chimera. I don't use special characters at all, but from reading the rules he looks like someone you'll want to have on foot. Also, in my oppinion, the standard and medi-pack aren't worth it, you can find better use of those points. regarding their chimera, and all chimeras in your list, a multi-laser is better than a HB. Sure, you don't have AP4, but its higher strenght means you can take out light transports (Ork Trukks).

Why do you have carapace armour on your Veterans? It's not worth it, and they're already protected in their transport. It's better to get more Chimeltas than to spend points on keeping few alive.

I haven't used the Devil Dog, and haven't seen it any any other list either, so I can't really comment on it. But the Hellhound is better than the Bane Wolf. It won't kill marines as easily, but it has a higher threat range and won't get assaulted on the turn after it has fired. A problem with your list is that you have nothing to take out transports at long range. Drop the Wolf and take three Scout Sentinels with ACs instead.

On your heavy support side you have made a lot of mistakes. First, never, ever take sponsons. Earlier posters have already commented on that so I won't elaborate. Pask is a waste of points as well. The Executioner is good, it's a little expensive, but if you want to keep it do it. However, don't keep the Vanquisher. It has only one shot and no blast, and that's not good even with Pask on board. Moreover, it's only useful against heavy armour, what if you face an opponent with only light armour, or maybe no vehicles at all? A standard BT is better as it's more flexible, you can also take a lascannon on it if you have the points to spare.

Good luck

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

A good tank to take is the demolisher with hull lascannon for 180 points. It has a 30" range on the cannnon (with it's movement) and the high strength and AP2 of the lascannon compliments the main gun when hunting tanks, MEQs and termie type targets.

For general MEQ bashing the basic russ with HB is good for 150 and if you want fire support then just add plasma sponsons and it becomes a decent (if static) long ranged killer for only 190 points.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Thanks for the feedback, guys! My brother has revised the list as shown below.

HQ

Company Command Squad - 145
    x4 meltagun
    Chimera+ML+HF

Troops

Vet Squad - 170
    x3 Plasmagun
    Chimera+ML+HF

Vet Squad - 170
    x3 Plasmagun
    CHimera+ML+HF

Vet Squad - 155
    x3 Meltagun
    Chimera+ML+HF

Fast Attack

DevilDog+MultiMelta - 135

Bane Wolf/Hellhound+ MultiMelta - 145 (My bro wants to try out the Bane Wolf really bad, so this will be a test unit)

Heavy Support
    Executioner+Plasma Cannon Sponson - 230

Vanquisher+Lascannon - 170

My bro wants to get another Leman Russ, but can't decide which. Any advice on which one he should get? He's got about 180 points let to spend here. I think he wants to go Battle Tank or Exterminator, but really at this point he can get any but another Excecutioner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking better, but there are still a few issues. The first is that, as a general rule, you should have a 3-1 ratio in chimeltas/plasmas. I'd replace one of the plasma squads for a another with meltaguns. On the Bane Wolf/Hellhound choice: take a Hellhound. It has a very long range for a template, and as a template weapon it ignores cover saves, it will help keeping your chimeltas free from assaults.

I tell you again: don't take sponsons. Plasma sponsons are 40 pts, and having them will tempt you to stand still, which means it will get assaulted and die. Trust me on this, I have on more than one occasion been glad that I moved my Russ instead of standing still. Even if it's only 1'', your opponent will hit you on a 4+ instead of automatically, which does make a difference. Also, as I said earlier, it's better to take more units than to spend points upgrades. My advice on the Vanquisher stands fast: it's useless, unless playing Spearhead in which you'll encounter lots of tanks.

Don't fall victim to the temptation to take something just because it looks cool, unless you take it because it's fun and don't care about making the list competitive. In that case go for it, as Warhammer is after all meant to be fun for all involved.

As a further note, all I write is of course based on my playstyle and previous experience with 40K. What works for me isn't guaranteed to work for you, it's just advice. Ultimately, you have to take a list to the tabletop and try it out for yourself.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Okay, so change to meltas in one vet squad, and my bro has decided to take the hellhound. On the issue of sponsons, The executioner now gets 5 plasma cannon blast markers, and it can still move 6" and fire all of them, since it is a lumbering behemoth.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Taubeast View Post
    Okay, so change to meltas in one vet squad, and my bro has decided to take the hellhound. On the issue of sponsons, The executioner now gets 5 plasma cannon blast markers, and it can still move 6" and fire all of them, since it is a lumbering behemoth.
    Actually the way that Lumbering Behemoth works is that you may fire your turreted weapon in addition to any weapon that you would normally be able to fire. So a 6in move would let you fire one weapon. With Lumbering behemoth you could fire one weapon and the turret weapon. This is why most folks on this forum steer away from sponsons on tanks. To fire all of your weapons (more than 2), you would have to remain stationary.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Thanks for that clarification, Iron Weevil. I guess that my bro will still use them, for now anyways, since I play Tau, and his tank ain't getting charged in Assault any time soon. But I'll let him know for tourneys and such.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast