<1000 1000pt Imp Guard Army - First Attempt at a list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pt Imp Guard Army - First Attempt at a list

Hi all,

First attempt at writing a list for 1K, new to Imperial Guard (play Raven Guard Marines, so completly different style of play). Idea is a stable base of troops guarding my heavy weapons and then having a couple of eliteist units to carve up anything else.
    HQ

Company Command Squad - 60
    2 x Grenade Launcher

Troop

Infantry Platoon
    PCS - 50
    Autocannon 2 x Grenade Launcher

Inf Squad - 60
    Autocannon

Inf Squad - 60
    Autocannon

Vets - 155
    3 Meltas and Chimera with ML/HF

Elite

Stormtroopers - 140
    All hot shots chimera with ML/HF

Heavy

LRBT - 150
    LRBT - 150
    Manticore - 160

Total: 985, 15 pts spare. Not sure whether to buy lascannon upgrade for LRBT or to spend it on some heavy weapons for the CCS or chuck in a flamer with the Stormtroopers for some extra killage.

Idea for set up is like this:

------------------Manticore---------------------
    -----LRBT--------CCS-----------LRBT----------
    ----Inf Squ 1----PCS-----Inf Squ 2----------- = Inf Squad single line (so max 20" spread, ideally 10" with PCS just slightly behind)

Vets and Stormtroopers go down a flank to sort out any opponent heavy weapons. Using the infantry squads as a line to stop any thing assaulting my tanks for a couple of turns and allow it to issue max orders to the infantry squads...CCS give order to PCS and inf 1, PCS gives orders to Inf 2.

Comments welcome, is just an idea that i think might work but need the advice from veteran players.

Thanks

Last edited by Meir Link; November 3rd, 2010 at 21:11. Reason: Table didnt work

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

1000 points is too low a value to go for a hybrid force. That mech vet squad is going to get awful lonely and get a lot of attention before it can do as much damage as it should.

Chimelta squads should be run in at least pairs. I would drop the manticore for another Chimelta squad.

I'd drop the stormtroopers if you are not going to give them a special weapon. The hot-shot las is a lackluster performer on its own. Stormies should be fielded in 5 man squads with 2 special weapons (meltas or plasmas depending on what you want them to do). Although in this list configuration, I'm not sure that they will do a lot for you, swapping them for another chimelta squad might help your offense a bit.

I'd also find a way to get 2 more Grenade launchers or a heavy weapon for your CCS and give them a chimera or camo cloaks. A lot of scenarios give your opponent an incentive to kill of your HQ. Don't make it easy for them.

Maybe something like this might work for you.

HQ

Primaris Psyker

Troops

Infantry Platoon
    PCS: 2x GL, Autocannon
    IS: GL, Autocannon
    IS: GL, AUtocannon

Vet Squad: 3x Meltagun, Chimera

Vet Squad: 3x Meltagun, Chimera

Vet Squad: 3x Grenade Launcher, Chimera

Heavy Support

LRBT w/ hull HB

LRBT w/ hull HB

Have the Pysker ride with a vet squad and add some shooting power. Melta vets have to be used fairly aggressively, I recommend a 12 in move on turn one followed by popping smoke. By turn two, you will be in prime striking distance for the meltas, and enjoy some decent fire support from the Inf platoons and Russes. This config gives you 3 scoring units for each side of the table to play with. It also forces your opponent to deal with the mech squads before he can turn to deal with the platoon in your deployment zone.
    Last edited by IronWeevil; November 4th, 2010 at 01:59.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I think the second list is the stronger. To it I would drop the psyker and use a CCS as babysitter to the platoon with camo and a standard. Add a few GLs if you have points left at the end.

Put the PCS with 4 flamers in the chimera of Vets#3 and replace Vets#3 with some penal legion outflankers or a Hydra/Griffon.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Guys,

Slightly revised list then for 1K taking into account the recommendations from both.

HQ
    Company Command = 135pts
    2 x GL, Lascannon, Chimera

Troop
    Vet Squad = 155
    3 x Melta w/ Chimera ML/HF

Vet Squad = 155
    3x Melta w/ Chimera ML/HF

Infantry Platoon = 190
    PCS = 2 x GL, Lascannon
    Inf 1 = GL, Autocannon
    Inf 2 = Autocannon

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Demolisher = 180
    w/ Lascannon

Leman Russ Demolisher = 180
    w/ Lascannon

Total = 995, 5pts spare.

This list i hope is slightly better. Focuses on the twin chimelta squads, a platoon as a gun line and 2 x Demolishers w/lascannon. I do like the idea of the punisher model but feel it is probably quite useless...have been informed that the LRBT, Demolisher and Executioners are the only really useful ones that are within the range of Leman Russ. I would like to field a manticore at some point but guess that will have to wait.

Comments and Critiques welcome again

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I think that this is a far more workable list. You will notice that you have a lot more long range anti-vehicle firepower with this one. This increases the odds of your opponent having to walk to your side of the table. For a shooty army that is the best place to be.

The Manticores do have their uses, but not in a list built to rush quickly across the table. To me, the question is Manticores OR Chimelta squads, but not both. You could throw meltabombs on one of the vet sergeants to use up those last 5 points, but that's about all that I would suggest. Good job.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Or add the GL to infantry platoon squad #2.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    Or add the GL to infantry platoon squad #2.
    That's actually a better idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologises that is a typo with platoon squad 2, it should have same loadout as squad 1. I will probably use those 5pts for the melta bombs, as just gives me an extra go at a tank or vehicle.

If i was to push this core list to 1500pts, would it be worth chucking in a heavy weapons lascannon squad, anohter chimelta squad and then possible some stormtroopers with flamers lord commisar and chimera.

Or is this where i could start to push the boat out and add that manticore to my list in addition to the other bits?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

According to rumours (yeah I know...) The option to mix in allies from the inquisition type codexes will be removed soon so don't bother with an =][= Lord in a 1500 point list.

I'm not too keen on manticores but if you like them then go for it in the 1500 point list. Another Chimelta squad is always worth it. If you then add in 3 lascannon that leaves 80 points for some penal legion to outflank or a pair of AC armed sentinels maybe. 5 Vanilla stormtroopers could also be fun, don't opgrade to flamers as you are already paying through the nose for the hotshot lasgns so its silly to put a flamer on a BS4 model who would loose his AP3 lasgun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok slight revisment on the 1K list.

HQ
    CCS - 85
    2 GL, Lascannon, Vox

Troop
    Vet Squad - 155
    3 x Melta, Chimera ML/HF

Vet Squad - 155
    3 x Melta, Chimera ML/HF

Platoon
    PCS - 105
    4 x Flamer, Chimera ML/HB

Inf Squad - 70
    GL, Autocannon, Vox

Inf Squad - 70
    GL, Autocannon, Vox

Heavy

Demolisher - 180
    Lascannon

Demolisher - 180
    Lascannon

Total : 1000pts

Similiar idea to before, but have the 2 demolishers, CCS and 2 inf squads holding back using vox to reroll orders (had 15pts spare), then flank the 3 x chimeras down a flank to take out enemy heavy/hordes...in theory if get all at one squad...potential for:

Mobile Detachment
    4 x Flamer (Str 4)
    2 x HF Templates (str 5)
    9 ML Shots (Str 6)
    6 Melta Shots (Ap1)
    14 Rapid Fire BS4 Lasguns

Home Holders
    3 x Lascannon Shots
    2 x Autocannon Shots
    4 x Grenade Lanchers
    2 Large Blast Str 10 Templates

I think that is pretty tasty for an all corners 1K competitive list. What do you guys think?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast