<2000 6 Scoring Units-Ultimate Objective Based Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

6 Scoring Units-Ultimate Objective Based Army

I was wondering how a unit would fair if everything was a scoring unit, particularly in an objective based game.

I am considering changing the drop pods for Rhinos and just having them sit on the objectives to provide cover for one model per squad. This seems cheesy I know, but hey if it works

As the saying goes Also all is Fair in Love and WAR!!!

If I did that I would have 30 points to fill bc of the locator beacons, in which case I would drop the 4 heavy flamers and add 4 combi flamers and then use that 50 points to upgrade the Librarian to an Epistolary.

So here is the List

Sternguard List-2000
    Unit

Pedro Kantor as Ultramarine

Librarian

TROOPS

Tactical Squad (10)

Sgt w/ Chainsword, Bolt pistol,Melta Bombs

Flamer and ML

#1 Drop Pod

Tactical Squad (10)

Flamer and ML

#2 Drop Pod

Tactical Squad (10)

Flamer and ML

#3 Drop Pod

ELITES

Sternguard (10) (Will be scoring units)

Sgt w/ Lightning Claw &Meltabomb

10 Combi Weapons 6 MM, 4 Flamers

#4 Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

**Pedro in this Pod

Sgt w/ Lightning Claw &Meltabomb

6Combi Weapons 6 MM

2 w/ Heavy Flamer

#5 Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

***Librarin in this Pod

Sgt w/ Lightning Claw & Meltabomb

6Combi Weapons 6 MM

2 w/ Heavy Flamer

#6 Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

TOTAL POINTS

Total Models

Total Vehicles

Any thoughts or suggestion on how effective this would be? What about in an annihilation game?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

As for objective games I assume you intend to drop the pods straight into objectives and just sit there?

Well, it might work. In fact, against some opponents it might work very well indeed. Against others... I don't know. A very hackety-slashing opponent would probably pick one or two of your first arriving drop pods, assault them with his "hammer" unit and ground it to pulp. Then he would play it safe for a few rounds keeping one objective and letting you sit on other(s). On turn 4 or 5 he would send everyone but one troop keeping his objective and assault each and every one of your objectives, especially the Tactical squads tying them up. As you tacs have no power weapon of any kind he can easily tie them into endless combat, thus contesting the objective(s) they are on and win by contesting everything but the one he crushed right in start.

As for Annihilation game your major weakness is the 6 drop pods. Thats 6 "free" KPs for anyone ruthless and smart enough to save firepower for taking them out.

Basically what I see is a shooty army which is very strong against hordes but weak against more elite assaulters because everything you have will arrive piecemeal and can thus be mobbed with several enemy units... You got a huge, sticky net of an army that can tie things up in melee, but can't hit, because you lack a "hammer". In shooting match your only hope is to drop pod into rapid fire distance and stay there as you are really low on range. Your absolute best range is "template range" of 8", your second best is 12" and everything above 12" is weak.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Yeah for the KP the pods really suck. The other option is to pack the tac squads in rhinos and then sit on objectives while the sternguard drop in and kill stuff. To be honest, I would probably never field this, but it would definelty be worth trying out. If you get a good start and land everything in rapid fire and template range you are getting about 60 shots( depending on templates and what)

2nd round, assualt with sternguard units and pedro in proximity to get 4 attacks. That is going to eat up whatever you hit. Also, I would drop tac squads for more rapid fire. again with about 60 shots, plus whatever assualt weapons and combi weapons and meta are left from the sternguard. YOu could effectively tie up all his troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you might misunderstand the mission rules: winner is the one who holds most objectives.

If you can hold one and contest the others you win.

The two troops you must have are fine for holding one objective. Then use fast stuff like bikes/landspeeders/assault squads/empty rhinos/random tanks/ANYTHING to contest the others!

6 Scoring would only help if you play weird mission rules or if you want a humiliating 5-0 objective victory in tournaments!

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by GoliathX View Post
    I think you might misunderstand the mission rules: winner is the one who holds most objectives.
    I think you overestimate the value of a tactical marine in combat, and trying to hold an objective. A squad of Chaos Terminators, a Daemon Prince, Grey Hunters, or even a Basilisk... Will remove those pesky squads off of the objectives with relative ease. By "Poding" onto objectives you have essentially isolated each squad you have. The reason drop pods work, is that they get in close to the enemy and overwhelm him on turn one. By cripling your opponent, he won't have the means to retaliate against you. By droping onto objectives, you are losing the first strike capability the drop pod gives you. Like previously stated, your enemy will throw his entire army at your 30 Marines that you get on turn one, and you are more than likely not going to like the results. You will find it hard to win objective games with this army, against a competent opponent.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point was at the end of the day you only need to hold one objective and contest the others. So having all your marines sat at home with your support while the Fast stuff comes in from reserve to contest makes sense right?

Clearly you can't look at marines in a vacuum. Yes they die to any decent Assault unit, and yes they die to Battlecannon/Basilisk fire. You should set up an army so the enemy has more to worry about than the 5/10 guys cowering in a rhino at the back, and have enough firepower to (hopefully) stop an Assault before it arrives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by GoliathX View Post
    I know the rules. My point is that with that many marines, He will have to spread his army out as well to move each one off an objective. Also, I could always just drop onto 3 of the 5 and hold those, that way I have more support. And then use the other 2 pods to drop in an tear him up. Again the idea is all theoretical, it would have to be something that is played, tested, and refined.

The idea of having 60 Marines that can rapid fire seems like A LOT of shots. Plus people always seem to forget that sternguard can assualt. Yes they are shooty, yes their special ammo is cool. But with 2 attacks, 3 on the charge, 4 if pedro which is withing 12 inches, that is a lot of assualt attacks.

I am aware that the army is entirely infantry (excluding the pods) but that I believe would be what skews my enemy. If he fields an army ready to pop tanks, then he will likely have fewer models and less DIE rolls. I seem to find people always field anti tank. SO the best they agree doing is using a lascannon or its equivalent in another army to kill a 16 point marine, 25 point sternguard or a 35 point pod. yes this shot will kill them, but the high point cost for the sheer number of models seems like an interesting strategy.

Also, if I combat squad all 6 squads, that is 12 units, plus the 6 pods, that is 18 units he has to fire at, Typically the opponent isnt even going to have enough units to even shoot at everything I have.

This is like the Russian army, my plan is for them to "run out of bullets" (die rolls in this case), before I run out of models.

Again all theoretical, but Im definelty intersested in trying this.
    Last edited by Reiko; November 10th, 2010 at 17:53.
    "For Plunder and Women!"

Bretonnians 7500, Empire 3300, Dwarfs 4800; Space Marines 2000, Tyranids 3000

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bhadaway View Post
    This is like the Russian army, my plan is for them to "run out of bullets" (die rolls in this case), before I run out of models.

Again all theoretical, but Im definelty intersested in trying this.
    Go ahead and try it. I'll still say it wont work against an enemy who knows his stuff. At 2000 points a normal mechanized enemy is likely to have simply too many pie-plates of High-Str and AP3 or better. 2 or 3 Leman Russes, Monoliths or Vindicators will easily blast two 5-man power armor squads per turn. And thats just the big pie-plates... add in the rest of his firepower and you'll find yourself running out of marines really soon. Whats worse, he can do it from range where you are simply weak or even unable to hurt him.

Marines (especially Sternguard) simply cost too much to make a proper horde army. If you want to go infantry horde with this Codex your best (and only) option is to go "10th company route" with a full 60 scouts (costs you about 1000 points total) and then fill up the rest 1000 points with proper hammer unit(s)... if you choose Sternguards, Vanguard and/or Assault Marines for your hammer you can still go by the idea of not giving enemy anti-tank weapons any proper targets.
    Last edited by Polaria; November 5th, 2010 at 16:01.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

+ Reply to Thread