<2000 1000pt Space Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Chaplain_Tiberius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pt Space Marines

Here's a 1000pt list I've cooked up, wanted to get some veteran-brothers to weigh in on it. It's for friendly battles currently as I don't have time to play regularly at my local store.

HQ
    Chaplain <140>
    -plasma pistol
    -digital weapons
    -jump pack

Librarian <100>

Troop
    Tactical Squad <195>
    -5 additional marines
    -flamer
    -multi-melta
    -power fist

Scout Squad <90>
    -sniper rifles
    -camo cloaks

Elites
    Terminator Squad <230>
    -assault cannon

Fast Attack
    Assault Squad <145>
    -plasma pistol (5th marine)
    -plasma pistol (sgt)
    -power weapon

Heavy Support
    Predator <95>
    -heavy bolters
    -storm bolter

Entire List: 995pts

Like I said this is mostly for friendly battles but I'd like to know if you all think I'd be able to win any. Please also tell me what suggestions you would make for expanding this to a 1500pt force.

Last edited by Chaplain_Tiberius; November 12th, 2010 at 06:27.
    A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Never forget, never forgive.

Current army: DA successor chapter using vanilla rules.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

You are a bit short of troops even in a 1000 point list. you can risk it.

I would drop the 2 plasma pistols from the assault squad and get a rhino or drop pod for the tac squad. This will protect them until they get into position and take a little heat off your pred.

I think I would also drop the chaplin. Would you rather have 5 men with 16 attacks rerolling hits on the charge or upgrade the squad to 10 strong and get 31 attacks and have a good chunk of points to spare for a flamer or to upgrade the pred to AC/2LC.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

It seems like you're trying to do too much in a 1k list. First off, pick an HQ and go with that. If you drop the librarian, then add more assault marines and you'll have a mean little unit flying around. Or drop the chaplain and pick up another predator and maybe a transport for your troops. That way your single predator isn't a big target and your troops can get where they need to go.

Aside from that, I think you can trim some fat from your list. I've never been too keen on digital weapons, or putting a storm bolter on a predator that should be staying at long range most of the time. Others might have had different experiences. As for all the plasma, I generally think that unless you have some personal bias toward it (which I do, I lurv it), that it's too expensive for what you get, and your points are better spent elsewhere.

And your termies... well, you can deep strike them in, but that's a gamble. A missile launcher on them would allow you to do some damage while they're slowly meandering across the board. I wouldn't expect them to contribute much more than that, though. Usually, there are better returns for the points: a drop podding squad of combi-melta sternguard, for example.

The most important thing, though, especially in fun games, is to field what you enjoy playing with. So take what I say with a grain of salt. I'd rather you field your favorite units than what I think works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say the termies are a bit much, but I don't really like them at all. Five points left over, sounds like a melta bomb to me.

The only thing I'd really poke at, is the lack of troops. I usually field 3 troops choices in 1k, or failing that around 20 infantry models (in my current BA list, it's 10 scouts, 5 ASM in a razor, 10 jumping around. It'd be just as easy for a mobile tactical, and a static tactical). I like troops because objectives are important, and because they're a cheap, easy way of getting something into your list. Dropping one of the HQ's would help, if you'd fancy it. I'd stick to the librarian, because he can shoot lighting, and that's awesome.
    Quantity has a Quality all of its own - Josesph Stallin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your feedback! You prevent very valid points and I've messed around with my list after looking at what y'all had to say. I actually came up with two lists, one using the librarian and one using the chaplain. Here's the first for your consideration.

HQ
    Librarian <150>
    -epistolary

Troops
    Tactical Squad <185>
    -5 additional marines
    -flamer
    -heavy bolter
    -power weapon

Tactical Squad <195>
    -5 additional marines
    -flamer
    -multi-melta
    -power fist

Elites
    Dreadnought <125>
    -autocannon x2

Sternguard Squad <160>
    -power weapon
    -plasma pistol
    -combi-melta x4

Heavy Support
    Devastator Squad <170>
    -missile launcher x2
    -plasma cannon x2

Total points cost: 1000

I'll put the other one up later today.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

My only problem with this list is the complete lack of transport - walking everywhere will make objective games difficult. Drop the devs, and add a Razorback for the SG, and Rhinos for the TSquads.

I'd also drop the plasma pistol, and swap the power weapon for a powerfist.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your advice, but I've found that, for 1000pt games, walking isn't a problem at all. I don't know if I'm using smaller boards than you for low points games or whatever, but so far, transports have been a waste of points for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the list with the chaplain I was talking about.

HQ
    Chaplain <130>
    -plasma pistol
    -jump pack

Troops
    Tactical Squad <185>
    -5 additional marines
    -flamer
    -multi-melta
    -power weapon

Tactical Squad <195>
    -5 additional marines
    -flamer
    -heavy bolter
    -power fist

Elites
    Dreadnought <125>
    -autocannon x2

Dreadnought <135>
    -lascannon

Fast Attack
    Assault Squad <145>
    -plasma pistol x2
    -power weapon

Heavy Support
    Predator <85>
    -heavy bolter sponsons

Total: 1000 points

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain_Tiberius View Post
    Thanks for your advice, but I've found that, for 1000pt games, walking isn't a problem at all. I don't know if I'm using smaller boards than you for low points games or whatever, but so far, transports have been a waste of points for me.
    6' x 4'?
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    6' x 4'?
    Yep. I usually find that once terrains on the board, there's so much maneuvering anyways, that transports tend to clog things up. I don't like it when my army gets crowded. Maybe that's just personal preference or maybe I'm doing something wrong, lol.
    A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Never forget, never forgive.

Current army: DA successor chapter using vanilla rules.

+ Reply to Thread