<2000 Comptetive/Fluffy 2000pts Catachan - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x1)

Comptetive/Fluffy 2000pts Catachan

Alright, the idea here wasn't to be a die hard competitive list, nor was it meant to be all fluffy but I tried to stay within the lines of both those. So I came up with what I think is a pretty competitive army, but yet stays true to the Catachan style. Also, I understand that Harker and Marbo rarely perform to great measures, but since this is a fluffy army, I wanted them in the list. Without further adieu...

HQ - Company Command Squad 260
    "Ironhand" Straken, Medi-Pack, Regimental Standard, 2 Flamers, 2 Bodyguards, Astropath
    Chimera w/ HB turret, Heavy Stubber 65

Troops - Platoon A Platoon Command Squad 52
    Boltgun, 2 Meltaguns
    Chimera w/ HB turret Heavy Stubber 65

2 Infantry Squads 114
    Bolt Pistol, Flamer

Heavy Weapons 75
    Autocannons

Troops - Platoon B Command Squad 50
    2 Meltaguns

2 Infantry Squads 114
    Bolt Pistol, Flamer

Heavy Weapons 105
    Lascannons

Heavy Weapons 90
    Missile Launchers

Troops - Veteran Squad 170
    Seargent Harker, 3 Flamers, Demolitions

Troops - Veteran Squad 130
    3 Meltaguns, Demolitions

Elites - Catachan Sniper Corp (counts as 5 Ratlings) 50

Elites - Guardsman Marba 65

Fast Attack - 3 Scout Sentinels 120
    Heavy Flamers

Fast Attack - 2 Banewolves 270
    Smoke Launchers

Fast Attack - Vendetta 140
    Heavy Bolters

Please let me know what you think. I have yet to play this army, am in the midst of putting it all together and would really like to know about some changes I could make prior to finishing up the modeling side of this project.

C&C please

Check out Double Edged Painting blog for more information on commissions and work in progress

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x1)

Wow...65 views and no comments....

Guess this list sucks.
    Check out Double Edged Painting blog for more information on commissions and work in progress

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Nah, just waiting for some crusty old git who's got nothing better to do......... *enters Borak*

HQ - Company Command Squad 260
    "Ironhand" Straken, Medi-Pack, Regimental Standard, 2 Flamers, 2 Bodyguards, Astropath

That's ALOT of points for a command squad, really, it is! Just remember to pick your fights carefully and wisely and most importantly of all, remember they're still Guardsmen. Straken maybe a hard guardsmen but even he is no match for a marine character so be careful with this unit.
    As for the Chimera, I'd keep the Multilaser and the H-Flamer combo if I were you. The str6 is useful for knocking out Speeders, Walkers and other annoying things.

Troops - Platoon A Platoon Command Squad 52
    Boltgun, 2 Meltaguns
    Chimera w/ HB turret Heavy Stubber 65
    Ditch the Boltgun and the stubber and grab another Melta gun. With just two you're averaging 1 hit, 1 pen and a 50/50 chance of taking out a vehicle. Up your chances and add some more melta. Again, keep the Laser on the Chimera.

2 Infantry Squads 114
    Bolt Pistol, Flamer
    What are these guys going to acheive? Running head first at the enemy with no guns is suicide. Suicide isn't the Catachan way!!!! Well planned crossfires and ambushes is the Catachan way
    It's boring but give them some heavy weapons. Autocannons aren't expensive and they're good.

Heavy Weapons 75
    Autocannons
    Might be ebtter off putting these into infantry squads. H-Weapon squads are aweful fragile!

Troops - Platoon B Command Squad 50
    2 Meltaguns

2 Infantry Squads 114
    Bolt Pistol, Flamer

Same as above really!

Heavy Weapons 105
    Lascannons
    These guys really are best off in Infantry squads. Putting them in infantry squads means they're harder to kill and ups their Leadership meaning they'll beenfit more from orders.

Heavy Weapons 90
    Missile Launchers
    In most cases you're better off with Autocannons

Troops - Veteran Squad 170
    Seargent Harker, 3 Flamers, Demolitions
    Take G-Launchers over Flamers. This way the unit can move and pump out 3 str5 shots and 3 str6 or 3 str3/Blast at 24 inches and more. It's a highly mobile unit of doom.

Troops - Veteran Squad 130
    3 Meltaguns, Demolitions

Elites - Catachan Sniper Corp (counts as 5 Ratlings) 50
    Children or something? That's a bit harsh

Elites - Guardsman Marba 65

Fast Attack - 3 Scout Sentinels 120
    Heavy Flamers
    Flimsy armour and close range weapons don;t mix well. You might be better off sticking with the lasers and keeping them at range. People tend to forget about them and you can carry on pumping 9 str6 shots into them.

Fast Attack - 2 Banewolves 270
    Smoke Launchers

Fast Attack - Vendetta 140
    Heavy Bolters
    Last edited by Lord Borak; November 19th, 2010 at 16:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just started playing Guard and will tell you the piece of advice I have been given for my gunline army (which looks like the thing your going for)...Keep cheap things cheap and splash out on the stuff you need.

For Example my gunline army focuses around 65pt infantry squads...literally bog standard with a grenade launcher and an autocannon/bolter (Depending on army)

All my stuff is really basic, even my company command is just 2 GL and a Lascannon (to take advantage of BS4), i would add an astropath/officer which ever allows me better reserve rolls. And I am just flooding with infantry and supporting it with a some hard hitting elements e.g. Special weapon squad in a chimera or vendetta to take out elites....2 squads of chimeltas (vets with 3xmelta and chimera) with some hellhounds(or alt versions of hellhounds) as my units that go and slow down the advance.

Have proxied it with a mate against marines and the slowing down tactic gave me two more turns of shooting in spearhead before he really got to me, supporting that gun line and hammer with 2 Leman Russ and a Manticore/Demolisher gave me the pie plates and AP to clear house

Just my two cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x1)

Thanks for the advice guys. If I could I would like to get a chance to rebuttal some of those points, in hopes to get some good discussion on whether this would work or not (not just to be a dick)
    First off a quick @Meir Link
    This army wasn't intended on being a gunline guard army. I have a lot of elements that are constantly on the move and outflanking or scouting forward.
    I'm also trying to stay fairly fluffy to the Catachan way, in which they don't predominately use big tanks. I know one of the regiments is an tank company, but for the most part, they are small squads going to jungles to accomplish missions.

@Borak
    Having Straken in a CCS there really is no easy way of keeping that points down. I've considered dropping the Standard on him but thats still only 10 points. I've chosen to give, while its no points upgrade, the whole squad with laspistol/ccw so that they all have 3 attacks each, and assuming I can get the charge they are hitting as hard as a regular space marine. But your right, they need to be directed towards something they can handle.
    The PSC squads I definitely see the benefit of the 3rd melta, and may actually do that, finding points somewhere.
    Boltgun and Bolt Pistols. This was something i thought was a good idea. The sergeant have to be armed with a laspistol, so i figured for the 10 points in the whole army, they mind as well be armed with a better gun.
    The Infantry squads I am intending on combining into one unit of 20 with 2 flamers. These guys are not intending to stand still very much, probably following close to the chimera's or hellhounds to jump out and hopefully get off a first rank second rank and dump out a ton of shots into people. I also want to keep them fairly close to Strakken, so they benefit from his Furious Charge, making a 20man guard unit fairly decent in combat with anything. I think giving them that heavy weapon makes you want to sit back and fire them. Which is precisely why i took heavy weapons teams. Auto cannons for light tanks, Missile launchers for light-tanks/horde, and lascannons for heavy tanks. Of course, as you mentioned, the orders are needed and it's not a great % of chance it gets off but 3 twin-linked heavy weapons is better then having a single one(if i put them into units), which then also restricts what that infantry squad is doing for the turn(can't move, 8 other guys just sitting there).
    I've decided to go with the heavy bolters on the chimeras as it provides me with 1 more shot, and a higher AP which i think is beneficial regardless of the amount of cover out there. I don't intend, for the most part, firing these tanks at vehicles. Was thinking I could dump 9 shots per tank into a infantry unit, and with the higher AP, and no cover, maybe blast away 6 guys(in a perfect world).
    I've heard people say good things about the grenade launchers, so I may go that way for Harkers squad.
    Scout Sentinels are still iffy in my books whether I want to take them at all, so I may find another 120 points worth of stuff.

Thanks for the critique tho, cause some of the stuff really does make sense, but I hope you see where I'm coming from too. There are a lot of elements to this army that have a designed role, specially a fair amount of outflanking or infiltrating/scouting that require precision. Now, in my opinion, this isn't suicide for the most part, but well planned assaults and shooting should allow me to gain upper hands on most people.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Comments in blue!

Quote Originally Posted by Acez View Post
    @Borak
    Having Straken in a CCS there really is no easy way of keeping that points down. I've considered dropping the Standard on him but thats still only 10 points. I've chosen to give, while its no points upgrade, the whole squad with laspistol/ccw so that they all have 3 attacks each, and assuming I can get the charge they are hitting as hard as a regular space marine. But your right, they need to be directed towards something they can handle.

Aye you're right. I use Straken in a Mech list and his squad tops 250pts and that's wihout any special weapons!!! I've had Straken go in, kick some ass and because he's 'protected' by 4 squishy Guardsmen they die and loose him the combat, as he's fearless he'l be taking saves which is not a good place to be.
    You should be alright against small marine squads or small Ork squads.
    Oh, if you're in a Chimera I don't think you can use the Flags benefit, so no re-rolls for those infantry squads following.

The PSC squads I definitely see the benefit of the 3rd melta, and may actually do that, finding points somewhere.
    Boltgun and Bolt Pistols. This was something i thought was a good idea. The sergeant have to be armed with a laspistol, so i figured for the 10 points in the whole army, they mind as well be armed with a better gun.
    10pts in the whole army? That's a Melta gun

The Infantry squads I am intending on combining into one unit of 20 with 2 flamers. These guys are not intending to stand still very much, probably following close to the chimera's or hellhounds to jump out and hopefully get off a first rank second rank and dump out a ton of shots into people. I also want to keep them fairly close to Strakken, so they benefit from his Furious Charge, making a 20man guard unit fairly decent in combat with anything. I think giving them that heavy weapon makes you want to sit back and fire them. Which is precisely why i took heavy weapons teams. Auto cannons for light tanks, Missile launchers for light-tanks/horde, and lascannons for heavy tanks. Of course, as you mentioned, the orders are needed and it's not a great % of chance it gets off but 3 twin-linked heavy weapons is better then having a single one(if i put them into units), which then also restricts what that infantry squad is doing for the turn(can't move, 8 other guys just sitting there).
    Fair enough then. Rather than flamers then how about grabbing G-Launchers. This way they can move up and still blast the enemy with a 24" Assault gun! If you fancy spending the points you could even grab some more Melta to deter any dreadnaughts or drop podding tanks/walkers that would otherwise give your boys grief. You've got H-Flamers on your tanks anyway so you've got lots of Template love already.

Heavy Weapons squads. Sounds good. Just remember that you've only got 9, LD7, bodies holding your objective in the back field.

I've decided to go with the heavy bolters on the chimeras as it provides me with 1 more shot, and a higher AP which i think is beneficial regardless of the amount of cover out there. I don't intend, for the most part, firing these tanks at vehicles. Was thinking I could dump 9 shots per tank into a infantry unit, and with the higher AP, and no cover, maybe blast away 6 guys(in a perfect world).
    Multilasers get 3 shots too so you wont be loosing/gaining any shots by putting a H-Bolter on there. AP4 is good but there isn't alot of people that have it. It's either a 3+ save or 5/6+. Only Tau and Eldar have a 4+ save.
    With the amount of tanks people are using in this edition you might have to be shooting at vehicles. Marines are all kitted out in Rhinos and Orks, well orks can do both but the Laser wounds them on 2's and still ignores their save. Personal preference though so go with what you feel will work.

I've heard people say good things about the grenade launchers, so I may go that way for Harkers squad.
    They are cool. I've tried them and they're just a great little unit. I usually grab a M-Launcher just in case they have to infiltrate and then sit on an objective. 4 Blast from one squad isn't bad!

Scout Sentinels are still iffy in my books whether I want to take them at all, so I may find another 120 points worth of stuff.
    Could always grab another HWS with Autocannons to give you another scoring unit and still retain the amount of Dakka. Or if you want to go fluffy how about 2 squads of Mortars?

infiltrating/scouting that require precision. Now, in my opinion, this isn't suicide for the most part
    For the most part? i hope that isn't the speach to your men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x1)

Haha, yeah my men probably wouldn't want to hear that but thats what Guardmen are for. In the name of the Emperor, we'll throw 10,000 soldiers at something and if any of them survive, good for us.

Thanks again for regoing through that with me Borak. But why wouldn't the standard work outside of the chimera? It's no different then any psychic power that is in a radius or anything else. For that matter, people within 12" of that chimera still benefit from Strakken's rules, the chimera becomes the extension of the model. Guess that's debatable though.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Hmmm. Good point. Now ive had a read of the Codex I can't find that anywhere. It was general concensus around this board that it couldn't be used whilst in a vehicle and that it had to be 'on the board' as it were.

Where that came from i've no idea as i can't find it in the banner entries. Maybe there's an FAQ.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; November 21st, 2010 at 08:02.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Borak View Post
    Nah, just waiting for some crusty old git who's got nothing better to do......... *enters Borak*
    The wisdom of crusty old gits is oft better when taken with a pint
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x1)

Was thinking. What you think about taking the HB's off the other vendetta, take out the Sentinels and put in a second Vendetta?

+ Reply to Thread