<2000 2K Strakken Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

2K Strakken Guard

I've been thinking of trying out the following list, so I thought I'd see what the community here thinks. It's a variant of JWolf's Strakken list.

HQ
    245 Company Command Squad w/4 x Melta, Kraks, Strakken, Chimera
    85 Lord Commissar w/Power Fist
    45 Ministorium Priest

Elites
    65 Marbo

Troops
    125 Platoon Command Squad w/4 x Melta, Chimera
    85 Infantry Squad w/Lascannon, Krak Grenades, Power Weapon
    45 + Commissar w/Power Weapon
    75 Heavy Weapons Squad w/3 x Autocannon
    75 Heavy Weapons Squad w/3 x Autocannon
    105 Heavy Weapons Squad w/3 x Lascannon
    155 Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera

Fast Attack
    120 3 Scout Sentinels w/Autocannons
    145 Hellhound w/Hull Multi-Melta
    145 Hellhound w/Hull Multi-Melta

Heavy Support
    165 Leman Russ Demolisher w/Hull Heavy Flamer
    150 Leman Russ Battle Tank w/Hull Heavy Flamer

Total: 2000 pts.

Note: I have 2 Vendettas, but am tired of them. So let's make this work without, ok?

Tactics:

Strakken + Priest gives furious charge with to-hit re-rolls for the blob's 60 attacks. Twelve S4 Power Weapons makes them very nasty for Marines, Termies, Nobs, and Thunderwolves to deal with. The Kraks are for taking down vehicles. The Lascannons are there for anti-tank work and to make sure the entire blob gets to attack when they charge. The Commissar is there to keep them in the fight.

The Lord Commissar baby-sits the heavy weapons squads.

The idea is that the list has enough long-range firepower to force an opponent forward and into the blob of doom. The Hellhounds run mid-field blocking and interference, while the Sentinels work in tandem with the blob to give cover or accept assaults that the blob will jump in and finish.

What do y'all think?

Last edited by SandWyrm; November 19th, 2010 at 18:52.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Woah! Sandwyrm posting a list for review?!! I'm going to have to jump on this.

Seems a bit light on the Infantry Squads for a Straken list. A 20-man blob isn't all that special. Maybe scrap the lascannon squad (or even the lascannons in the blob) and/or even Marbo to make room for more points?

I like the overall theme of it....but it just seems like there are waaaaaay too few troops to make straken worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman506 View Post
    Yea totally agree after being a sandwrym convert recently I would like to pay him back

I saw a guy using a stracken guard army down at my local store recently( and I think it won as well) I don't know the list but he took 1 conscript squad and used it as pretty much a meat shield for stracken and the inf squad behind him which worked effectively and when/if you can get that a full squad of conscripts to combat rerolloing hits tht not bad for attacks and with straken and inf squads for the annoying squads could work well IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea totally agree after being a sandwrym convert recently I would like to pay him back

I saw a guy using a stracken guard army down at my local store recently( and I think it won as well) I don't know the list but he took 1 conscript squad and used it as pretty much a meat shield for stracken and the inf squad behind him which worked effectively and when/if you can get that a full squad of conscripts to combat rerolloing hits tht not bad for attacks and with straken and inf squads for the annoying squads could work well IMO

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Seems a bit light on the Infantry Squads for a Straken list. A 20-man blob isn't all that special. Maybe scrap the lascannon squad (or even the lascannons in the blob) and/or even Marbo to make room for more points?

I like the overall theme of it....but it just seems like there are waaaaaay too few troops to make straken worth it.
    It's actually a 30-man blob (3 squads). I don't have any experience with assault blobs, but this is exactly what JWolf uses. I could add another 10 men easily, but figured I'd test it at this level.

The lascannons (I think) serve a sneaky purpose of (though sheer base size) of allowing more of the blob to fight. If the lascannons assault first, virtually every other model can be within 2" of one of them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Aright, my two cents for the ever-helpful SandWyrm.

First, consider tossing in some stormies. They're surprisingly good at hand to hand, especially if you throw power weapons into the mix. They're my favorite method for dealing with Broadsides and the like. Second, you might want to take armored sentinels instead of scout ones. I can't see scout sentinels working too well in this army for the role you've got for them. If you plan to use them to cover the blob or jump in to assault and tarpit things, AV 12 front would stand up far better than open-topped AV 10. I also might put heavy flamers on them instead of autocannons if you plan on getting them up close and personal. Let your heavy weapons teams provide the ranged firepower. Also, if your plan is to use the lascannons in the squad to have the big base for assaulting, wouldn't cheaper weapons like autocannons work better?

Second, only two chimeltas? I would think you'd need at least 3 to really be effective with them. You'd really have to babysit them to get them in close.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Ha ha, if you didn't have all 3 of your fast attacks filled up I would have suggested Rough riders to baby sit the blob.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by cKerensky View Post
    Ha ha, if you didn't have all 3 of your fast attacks filled up I would have suggested Rough riders to baby sit the blob.
    Baby sit? From what?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

How are you ensuring that the blob gets the charge? If you miss it you'll not get the +1 strength and initiative and the Priest's re-rolls.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Korona View Post
    How are you ensuring that the blob gets the charge? If you miss it you'll not get the +1 strength and initiative and the Priest's re-rolls.
    Sentinels?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast