<2000 1500 pts Space Wolves, New and need help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pts Space Wolves, New and need help!

So I have finally given up on my vanilla marines. Their codex just doesn't fit my playing style any more. A friend of mine suggested that I check out the FOUR other space marine codices so that I could continue to use the models that I already have without the cost of having to start a new army. He lent me his Space Wolves codex for a week and I have to say that it's love at first sight! Almost every change that I wished they would make to the vanilla marine codex is in the Space Wolves codex. So this is my first attempt to make an all-comers Space Wolves list. I need any and all feedback that I can get.

HQ:
    Wolf Priest + Runic Armor + Wolftooth Necklace = 130

Elites:
    Wolf Guard Pack – Wolf Guard X 3 + Combi-Melta X 3 + Power Fist X 3 = 144

Troops:
    Blood Claws Pack – Blood Claw X 9 + Meltagun + Power Fist + Rhino = 205
    Grey Hunters Pack – Grey Hunter X 9 + Meltagun + Power Fist + Wolf Standard + Mark of the Wulfen + Rhino = 225
    Grey Hunters Pack – Grey Hunter X 9 + Meltagun + Power Fist + Wolf Standard + Mark of the Wulfen + Rhino = 225

Heavy Support:
    Long Fangs Pack – Long Fang X 5 + Missile Launcher X 4 = 115
    Long Fangs Pack – Long Fang X 5 + Missile Launcher X 4 = 115
    Vindicator = 115

Total: 1499

The basic strategy for this army is to advance across the board at a breakneck pace and get stuck in as soon as possible. I would attach one of the Wolf Guards to each of the Grey Hunters Packs. The Wolf Priest is attached to the Blood Claws Pack so that his Oath of War overcomes the Blood Claws low weapon skill. The two Long Fang Packs will hopefully find some decent cover and use their missiles to pop enemy transports. The four Rhinos and the Vindicator advance forward as quickly as possible so that they can get stuck in with the enemy. Even if a Rhino gets popped all of the models inside still have high enough toughness and armor saves that they should still be able to advance across the field without taking too many causalities. Once they get onto an objective they should be almost impossible to dislodge. I can't imagine an opponent that any of the squads wouldn't be able to take out, from monstrous creatures to hordes of infantry or even heavy armor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

The single Vindicator is going to die *very* fast - I suggest swapping it for another pack of Long Fangs. There's nothing majorly wrong with this army, though you're heavier on infantry then I'd personally go. Blood claws are generally considered underpowered compared to Grey Hunters, but with the Wolf Priest in there you might be able to get some good use out of them.

Mostly, it's going to be a case of playing a few games, figuring out what does and doesn't work for you, and adapting to fit. My own SW lists use small squads of Grey Hunters, with wolf scouts and a Razerback for every squad. (massed Heavy Bolters are awesome, btw) I also ditched most of the upgrades on them after a few games, as it's kinda tough to get full use out of all those toys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback. If I ditch the vindicator for another long fang pack then how would I go less infantry heavy? I guess I could lose some of the upgrades on the grey hunters and add a rifleman dread or two.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

Here's the list I normally run at 1500. The body count is almost the same, but I've got a touch more armour on the table.

-Run Priest, Living Lighting, JotWW
    -Run Priest, Living Lighting, JotWW, meltabombs
    -5 Wolf Scouts, Meltagun
    -5 Wolf Scouts, Meltagun
    -6 Wolf Guard with Combi-Meltas
    -5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razerback
    -Land Speeder Tornado (Multimelta, Heavy Flamer)
    -5 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers, Razerback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you ever run into problems with all of your squads being realatively small in number? For example do you ever have trouble winning close combat or breaking after taking only a few wounds? Thanks again for the help.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

Occasionally - but since I'm really the only marine player amoung the group I play with, I find I'm either going to be fighting a dedicated CC unit that could clean me out either way (Grey Knights), or a pushoverunit that I will probably still kill in CC (IG units).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So then what, if any, would you consider as weaknesses of my list?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

Your fire support is static, and your armoured corps consists of 4 rhinos and a vindicator. An army that packs any kind of serious long ranged anti-tank firepower (every IG list ever, Tau, CSM Obliterators), is going to rip up your tanks pretty quick, and leave your troops exposed to saturation fire. Death by Battlecannon sucks, believe me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, after consideration of all the great points that watchwood has given me I have decided to alter the list a bit. I have dropped 2 models from each of the troop selection as well as some of their war gear to make them leaner and meaner. With the extra points I was able to add two more vehicles and a nasty surprise for any gun line or backboard hiders. I also realized that I had miscalculated the cost of power fists on the wolf guard units.

HQ:
    Wolf Priest + Wolftooth Necklace = 110

Elites:
    Wolf Guard Pack – Wolf Guard X 3 + Combi-Melta X 3 + Power Fist X 3 = 129
    Wolf Scouts Pack – Wolf Scouts X 5 + Meltagun + Melta Bombs X 3 = 100

Troops:
    Blood Claws Pack – Blood Claw X 7 + Meltagun + Power Fist + Rhino = 170
    Grey Hunters Pack – Grey Hunter X 7 + Meltagun + Power Fist + Rhino = 170

Fast Attack:
    Land Speeder + Multi-melta + Heavy Flamer = 70
    Land Speeder + Multi-melta + Heavy Flamer = 70

Heavy Support:
    Long Fangs Pack – Long Fang X 6 + Missile Launcher X 3 + Lascannon X 2 = 170
    Long Fangs Pack – Long Fang X 6 + Missile Launcher X 3 + Lascannon X 2 = 170

Total: 1499

The strategy remains pretty much the same. The wolf guard are distributed among the grey hunters. The wolf priest is attached to the blood claws. His oath of war should help negate their low weapon skill, and the sheer amount of attacks they have on the charge should decimate any infantry unit. The grey hunters, with their melta weapons and power fists should be able to take on anything up close. While I lost the vindicator, I gained more dedicated anit-vehicle fire from my long fangs and got two tank/horde killing land speeders that can zoom up the table, threatening my enemy and drawing his fire away from my transports. Lastly, the wolf scouts are a nasty surprise for any unit that decides to hug their table edge. Please let me know what you think of my updated list. Best of luck to you on all of your matches!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchwood View Post
    Here's the list I normally run at 1500. The body count is almost the same, but I've got a touch more armour on the table.

-Run Priest, Living Lighting, JotWW
    -Run Priest, Living Lighting, JotWW, meltabombs
    -5 Wolf Scouts, Meltagun
    -5 Wolf Scouts, Meltagun
    -6 Wolf Guard with Combi-Meltas
    I just wanted to mention real quick that this is an illegal list. No 2 Rune Priests can have exactly the same psychic powers, this is a violation of the Leaders of the Pack special rule.

+ Reply to Thread