<3000 2500 DA Full 5th Company - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

2500 DA Full 5th Company

Okay, I was thinking 2k, but all ten squads busted through that points total when I put even modest equipment on them, so I shrugged and moved the goal post (and then added the command squad and IC). Behold 107 LD10 marines, and nothing else:

HQ:
    Company master: power weapon

Interrogator chaplain: jump pack

Command squad: 2x power weapon, apothecary
    Troops:

1st Squad: Lascannon, plasma gun, power weapon

2nd Squad: Lascannon, plasma gun, power weapon

3rd Squad: Lascannon, plasma gun, power weapon

4th Squad: Lascannon, plasma gun, power weapon

5th Squad: meltagun, powerfist

6th Squad: meltagun, powerfist

Fast Attack:

7th Squad: Powerfist

8th Squad: Powerfist

Heavy Support:

9th Squad: 4x Missile Launcher

10th Squad: 4x Plasma Cannon

The command squad will babysit the devs (with the captain) while the chaplain leads the assault marines to hunt scoring units and the tactical squads plop down on OBJs.

Last edited by Marnepup; December 3rd, 2010 at 04:55.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

It's not bad overall I assume everything's a 10 man squad, and that most units are going to get Combat Squadded?...I don't have a DA codex handy, but if the points values work for you there are some suggestions I'd like to make:

-for your devastators, go with all missile teams. It'll save you some points, and despite the extra costs in your codex compared to other's it'll save you some points while being just as effective against most targets.
    -Las/Plas tactical units are kinda wasteful in the age of Combat Squads - what I suggest doing for your backfield units is spreading around your tactical squads 2 Multimeltas, 2 Plasma Cannons, and 2 Lascannons, and using those combat squads to hold the fort and help support the Devs. That's going to be a ton of backfield dakka right there. Then you can move up the other halves of your tacticals, preferably all with meltaguns and powerfists, and used them to threaten forward objectives and support the assault units.
    -At that point, you could reasonably used the Captain and Command squad as a midfield response unit. This unit I would suggest giving a pair of plasma rifles too, to give them a little extra light anti-tank and anti MC/TEQ punch.
    -If you have any points left over after all that, I suggest giving some plasma pistols to the assault squads, to help them out with prepping a transports contents for the charge, or with dealing with some of the tougher units to handle.

My $0.10.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

What would DA be without plasma goodness? Seriously, though, in a devastator squad, a plasma cannon is only five points more than a missile launcher. If I had the models, I'd be tempted to take eight PCs! I'm saving 15 points a weapon by putting the lascannons in the tactical squads, though, our points values are pretty wonky.

I had planned to combat-squad the devastators (two weapons per) for targeting purposes, but hadn't really considered combat squadding the tacticals or the assault squads. I think what I'll do is leave my two melta/fist squads intact, but maybe switch at least two of the other tactical squads from plasma to melta, and combat squad those to leave scoring mini-devs back in support of the real devs while the other half, with the power weapon and melta, advance. I'm a little reluctant to do it with all of them, just as I'm reluctant to give up all of my plasma guns, I really like full squads.

I don't want to give the command squad plasma because they can't shoot and charge, and they are supposed to be babysitting the devs...but the ten points freed by dropping two tactical plasma guns down to meltas would buy a pair of flamers for them, and I really like that idea. I know that assault units capable of threatening the devs probably have a lot better save than 5+ (ok, gaunts and kroot excepted), but two templates produces a lot of dice, and when you have to roll a lot of saves, you're going to fail some. List v2.0:

HQ:
    Company master: power weapon

Interrogator chaplain: jump pack

Command squad: 2x power weapon, 2x flamer, apothecary
    Troops:

1st Squad: Lascannon, melta gun, power weapon [combat squadded]

2nd Squad: Lascannon, melta gun, power weapon [combat squadded]

3rd Squad: Lascannon, plasma gun, power weapon [intact]

4th Squad: Lascannon, plasma gun, power weapon [intact]

5th Squad: meltagun, powerfist [intact]

6th Squad: meltagun, powerfist [intact]

Fast Attack:

7th Squad: Powerfist [intact]

8th Squad: Powerfist [intact]

Heavy Support:

9th Squad: 4x Missile Launcher [combat squadded]

10th Squad: 4x Plasma Cannon [combat squadded]

I might consider two multimeltas...in place of what, though? I'm leaning towards missile launchers...

The two las/plas squads will support by fire, while the lascannon demisquads will occupy home OBJs and the melta/powerweapon demisquads and full tactical squads maneuver to sieze deep OBJs. The las/plas squads will be prepared to move out as needed to fill the role of any other squad that fails to achieve its objective, preferably not earlier than turn three. No change to the mission for the devastators, assault marines, or command squad.
    Last edited by Marnepup; December 3rd, 2010 at 16:34.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread