<2000 1500 pt Space Marines Chapter for a Newbie - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt Space Marines Chapter for a Newbie

TITLE EDIT - Sorry, did not mean "Chapter". Meant "Army". Whoops...

I have only in the past couple of weeks started playing 40k (with no experience in Fantasy, at that), and started off with the Assault on Black Reach set of Space Marines. After a couple of games, I was convinced to play in a fun informal tournament at my preferred FLGS (the only limit is no rare troops/units... whatever that means). Only challenge is I don't have a very large army at all and can BARELY make 1000pts for the second round, and even then with a couple of purchases/Christmas gifts.

Space Marine Captain - Power Armour, Power Sword, Bolt gun, Iron Halo - 115 pts

Tactical Squad + 3 extra troops - Power Armour, Bolt pistol and chain sword (Sergeant), Bolt gun (Marines) - 138 pts

Scout Squad - Scout Armour, Bolt Pistol, Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks - 90 pts

Terminator Squad + 5 extra troops - Terminator Armour, Storm Bolter, Power Sword (Sergeant), Power Fist (Terminators), 1x Assault Cannon, 1x Chain Fist - 435 pts

Dreadnought - Multi-Melta, Close Combat Weapon
    Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Close Combat Weapon
    Total Dreadnought costs - 220 pts

Total Count - 998 pts

That is the list I'll be using for the 1000pt tier and am looking for any suggestions on expanding it another 500 pts. My first thought was to add a Command Squad and a Land Raider of some sort to help, as well as boost up the Tactical Squad to a full 10. (I have more Marines, but no Sergeant to use after the initial 10.)

As I'm new, I'm just getting the hang of how these units work, though it seems to be mostly run-and-gun with the Terminators able to get into close combat against the bigger, badder foes.

Much thanks from this newbie to you all for your input and inestimable wisdom

Last edited by SSior.27; December 8th, 2010 at 19:47.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I would recommend putting in one or two tactical squads in this army. Always good to have a number of scoring units more (that can hold objectives). If you have razorbacks you can add them to the tactical squads and split them in two, one part of 5 man sitting in your deployment zone with a heavy weapon, and another 5 man riding in the razorback - taking the pain to the enemy. The 5 men squads I usually equip with 1 free flamer and the sergant woth a power fist and a combi flamer.

The Dreadnoughts are ok, but the one with the multi melta would benefit from having a drop-pod attached to it, so it can land in the enemy deployment zone. But I undertand that you perhaps cannot purchase a drop-prod until the next game, cant you proxy (pretend) that the other dreadnought has another weapon with longer range, perhaps a lascannon + another long range weapon (usually called a rifleman dreadnought).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sixhoj View Post
    I would recommend putting in one or two tactical squads in this army. Always good to have a number of scoring units more (that can hold objectives). If you have razorbacks you can add them to the tactical squads and split them in two, one part of 5 man sitting in your deployment zone with a heavy weapon, and another 5 man riding in the razorback - taking the pain to the enemy. The 5 men squads I usually equip with 1 free flamer and the sergant woth a power fist and a combi flamer.
    I could easily bump up the one Tactical Squad already in the list to 10, then split them into 5 because of Combat Squads. So maybe one 5-man group with the Sergeant and missile launcher (or is flamer better?) with the other 5-man crew in the Razorback? Now for the other question, Razorback or Land Raider for more firepower to the transport? It would also help soak up some more points for the 1500 game, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by sixhoj View Post
    The Dreadnoughts are ok, but the one with the multi melta would benefit from having a drop-pod attached to it, so it can land in the enemy deployment zone. But I undertand that you perhaps cannot purchase a drop-prod until the next game, cant you proxy (pretend) that the other dreadnought has another weapon with longer range, perhaps a lascannon + another long range weapon (usually called a rifleman dreadnought).
    I currently have a Dreadnought with the Multi-Melta, as that's what came in the Assault on Black Reach set, though I do intend on purchasing another before the next round (1000pt) to add whatever weapon desired to it. I thought perhaps the autocannon would be a good choice. *shrug* Was considering getting a drop pod as well, but hadn't decided on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the tactical squad. Yes, if you bump it up to 10, the squad left behind of 5 man, should have a long range weapon, either a missile luncher or a lascannon, this squad could be positioned to protect an objective in the deployment zone or similar. The other 5 man squad riding in the razorback, I usually give them a regular flamer, equip the sergant with a power fist to ward off any close combat squads attacking your squad (they know if they attack, that power fist will give em some pain) + the sergant should be given a combi flamer.

The Land rider and Razorback perform the same function. Although the Razorback costs only 40 points and has an armour value (av) of 11 and the Land Rider has 14 and costs a lot more. I would recommend getting the land rider if you are transporting Terminators, and the razorback to transport lower points squads.

Regarding the Dreadnought, the auto cannon one would be nice, as it can shoot 48" (often across the table). While the dreadnought is shooting it can approach the enemy with its close combat weapon, still posing a threat! :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so even with the Razorback, full 10-troop unit of Tactical units, and an added Command Squad, the total is still just 1265. Still have room for an HQ, 4 Troops, 3 Fast Attacks, and 3 Heavy Support on the FoC.

Which reminds me of another question totally unrelated: The dedicated transports like Drop Pods and Razorbacks, do they count as Fast Attacks, Heavy Supports, Troops, or none of the above?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say to add another squad of tactical marines with a razorback. The dedicated transports does not take up any room in the FoC, so if you take the Land Rider as a dedicated transport or the razorback as a decicated transport, they will count as being "part of" the squad from the FoC point of view. In game the decicated transport is just that, a transport vehichle attached to the squad, although the model need not be in unit coherency as it is a separate unit "game-wise".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent. Thanks a lot! Well, this will be sure to eat up all my Christmas and birthday money for the next few months, hahaha.

Space Marine Captain - Power Armour, Power Sword, Bolt gun, Iron Halo - 115 pts

Command Squad - With whatever add-ons I can get and afford - 115 pts

Tactical Squad + 5 extra troops - Power Armour, Bolt pistol and chain sword (Sergeant), Bolt gun (Marines), 1 Flamer, 1 Missile Launcher - 170 pts

Tactical Squad + 5 extra troops - Power Armour, Bolt pistol and chain sword (Sergeant), Bolt gun (Marines), 1 Flamer, 1 Missile Launcher - 170 pts

Razorback - With 5 of the above Tactical troops, Extra Armour
    Razorback - With 5 of the above Tactical troops, Extra Armour
    Total Razorback costs - 110 pts

Scout Squad - Scout Armour, Bolt Pistol, Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks - 90 pts

Terminator Squad + 5 extra troops - Terminator Armour, Storm Bolter, Power Sword (Sergeant), Power Fist (Terminators), 1x Assault Cannon, 1x Chain Fist - 435 pts

Dreadnought - Multi-Melta, Close Combat Weapon
    Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Close Combat Weapon
    Total Dreadnought costs - 220 pts

Drop Pod - For the Melti Dreadnought - 35 pts

Total Count - 1490 pts

Sound good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks nice to me :-) Although cannot the Terminator squad carry another heavy weapon as you have added an extra 5 termies? If you dont want that you could add dozer blades to each of the razorbacks 5pts each, so you they can move through difficult terrain and reroll any tests if they get stuck. That way your marines will "always" reach their targets. Nice idea with the extra armour, that way if they get crew shaken they can still move 12" forward!

Hope you win your battles!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what all's in the set of Terminators as mine were included in the Assault on Black Reach set. Obviously, there's an assault cannon and a chain fist, as that's pictured, but I've not seen the sprues to know what else might be available in regards to heavy weaponry.

Dozer blades. Good idea! =)

Thank you. Learned very quickly that Extra Armour is a good idea.

And thank you again for the tips!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problems at all. Have a nice ime painting your army!

For the Emperor!

+ Reply to Thread