<2000 2K Competitive Recon List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

2K Competitive Recon List

I thought I'd post a variant of the sort of highly mobile mech list that I've been running lately. I like it for it's tactical flexibility. In that it has a high alpha-strike capability combined with the ability to do quite well even when going second. It's also got a nice fear factor going for it.

HQ
    170 CCS w/3 x Melta, Flamer, Astropath, Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer)

Elites
    160 5 Stormtroopers w/2 x Melta, Recon Mission, Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer)
    160 5 Stormtroopers w/2 x Melta, Recon Mission, Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer)

Troops
    155 Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer)
    155 Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer)
    170 Veteran Squad w/3 x Plasma, Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer)
    145 Veteran Squad w/3 x Flamer, Demolitions, Carapace
    145 Veteran Squad w/3 x Flamer, Demolitions, Carapace

Fast Attack
    130 Vendetta Gunship
    130 Vendetta Gunship

Heavy Support
    165 Leman Russ Demolisher w/Hull Heavy Flamer
    165 Leman Russ Demolisher w/Hull Heavy Flamer
    150 Leman Russ Battle Tank w/Hull Heavy Flamer

Total: 2000 Points

There's no single way to play this list, but I'll hit the high points in terms of capabilities.

The Demo-Vets can alpha-strike tanks and/or Long Fangs in the Vendettas, outflank, or they can march in front of the tanks and allow me to push into mid-field without worrying about assaults. The Carapace armor keeps them alive through most small arms fire, while the melta-bombs scare the hell out of vehicles that want to approach me.

The Stormtroopers can alpha-strike too, but often will be scouted forward to provide the first line of blocking defense (thus sparing my scoring units). I can also outflank them if I feel the need.

The Demolishers, Demo Vets, and the CCS provide the second line, while the 3 Chimelta squads and the Russ form the final line. The Vendettas have the flanks. Ideally, I get to spread across the table from my deployment zone to my opponent's and make him pay for every inch he tries to advance.

Thoughts?

Last edited by SandWyrm; January 1st, 2011 at 18:45.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I like the list but it's a bit lacking in the ability to destroy transports from a range.

Sure you can close in with melta weapons but sometimes this isn't an option, and you can't alpha stike very well going 2nd, not without those 20 autohitting meltabombs and stormtrooper melta torpedoes.

I'd suggest dropping a russ for something more anti transport, i've personally become a huge fan of exterminators with hull lascannons, one of those is easily fit into your list by dropping a demolisher.

Another of my favorite units is autocannon/hunter killer missile sentinels, for the price of your normal russ you can have three of them, or drop the hunter killer missiles, (I know you're not a huge fan of them) and give the remaining russes hull lascannons or your command squad an officer of the fleet.

The Emperor Protects
    Last edited by kevin vanrooyen; December 13th, 2010 at 06:12.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin vanrooyen View Post
    I lik the list but it's a bit lacking in the ability to destroy transports from a range.
    It certainly is, and I won't deny it. But I'm not sure that it matters so much to this particular list.

At one point or another I've added Hydras, Exterminators, Sentinels, and Platoon Squads to beef up the list's long range anti-tank. But none of those lists has done much better than this one in-game, and I think that the balancing factor is mobility. What I've found is that if I can control the movement phase to the extent that my enemy can't move properly, then that's just as powerful as taking out more transports at range.

Consider that I don't have to alpha-strike with the Demo Vets or the Stormies in order to control the field. I can just string the Demo Vets in a line and march them forward, daring any enemy vehicle to try and tank shock through them. If my opponent does run a vehicle up in their face, he'd better be able to kill or run off the squad, because his tank and/or troops will be dead if he doesn't.

The Stormies too, can simply scout into chokepoints and pop smoke. Making them both a threat and a pain to shift while the rest of the force goes to work.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

+ Reply to Thread