<2000 2K Mech IG in cooperation with 2K Chaos Marines... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2K Mech IG in cooperation with 2K Chaos Marines...

Hello everyone.

After Christmas me and a friend are going to have a big game of 4000p/side (8000p total) divided on 4 players. Imperial Guard/Chaos Marines versus Eldar/Orks. The match is a real prestige match (with "fun" included in the plan of course) but me and my buddy really need to win this in the name of honor. (Having quite a winning streak, woho!!!)

So, my friend (CM) isn't finished with his list yet but I know it will be focused on Berzerkers, Terminators (CC), a couple of Defilers and Obliterators (plus random units...). We are trying to get our armies to work together whereas the strategy is that he focus on close combat and some close fire support and I focus on pure mobile firepower (long/mid range).

3-5 objectives. At least 3 objectives need to be held at the beginning of turn 7, otherwise its sudden death and the next objective changing owner will be the end.

Anyway. My list isnt 100% traditional mech and I know that there are some details not compatible with the traditional doctrine. However, I would like to know what you guys/gals think about my list, keeping in mind the opponents races and my mate´s race.

HQ
    CCS (125p)
    -4x GL
    -Chimera

Troops
    Vets
    -3 PlasmaG (2x180p = 360p)
    -1 AutoC
    -Chimera

Vets
    -3 MeltaG (2x165p = 330p)
    -1 AutoC
    -Chimera

Fast Attack
    Hellhound (2x 130p = 260p)
    -HF (or Multi-M???)

Heavy Support
    Basilisk Battery (3x 125p = 375p)
    -HF

Leman Russ Vanquisher (205p)
    -HF (Lascannon???)
    -KC Pask

Leman Russ Battle Tank (2x 150p = 300p)
    -H

(Total: 1955p)

Now. There are some things I know is "nono" here in a traditional mech list.

*Like the Basilisks. The idea of having three basilisks pounding with barrages on the ork mobs or small but dangerous eldar squads seems like a good idea to cover my buddy's CC units from being overwhelmed. (By experience I know that both the Ork and Eldar players prefers CC, though the Eldar player is a bit unpredictable) The artillery is to be protected by suitable units.

*Having two Leman Russes in one squad. Well, this is all about squeezing as much firepower as possible into the list. There is going to be alot of terrain and two LRBT blocking one of the bottlenecks and shooting at the same target doesn't seem like a bad idea at first. But what do I know?....

*Autocannons in the Vetsquads. Thats because Im not going to be able to move all the time due to the crowded battlefield (units and terrain alike) which makes my Chimeras stationary firepower, at least temporarily for some turns.

*The Vanquisher with KC Pask is my try to get some sort of accurate long range AT. Im suspecting that the Eldar player (fought my mech list alot of times) is going to have Wave Serpents/Falcons loaded with units "friendly" to my vehicles (Outflanking is probable).

Its one thing to do my traditional mech list (a lot of inspiration from here), but to win this I need a mech list cooperating with the CM, not a mech army doing its own traditional thing in one of the corners. So my questions are:
    a) What should I do with the last 45p?
    b) Is this list in need of a total makeover? If so, what should be done about it?
    c) Any tips on how CM/IG are to win against Ork/Eld?
    d) What would you do?

Any constructive thoughts and ideas are welcome and very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Last edited by Zechno; December 22nd, 2010 at 12:07.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Targetting Orks? Take Griffons!! They're more accurate, still wound on 2's and AP4 still trashes their armour. They're also, quite considerably, cheaper. Or go for Colossus? Ignoring cover will mock their Orky Force fields and str6 AP3 hurts anything.

Vanquisher. You could probably do better with an Exterminator. 4 str 7 shots is better than one big shot. Especially when you're fighting Eldar who only have armour 12. With pask in there 4 twin linked str8 shots and a str10 Lascannon is horrible. Or consider a Hydra Battery. They will trash Eldar and Ork vehicles and can turn their attention to infantry as well.

Other than that the list looks pretty good.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Good. Take ML/HF on ther chimera

Troops: Plasma vets are ok with the heavy weapon. Take ML/HB on their chimeras. Melta vets should ditch the heavy weapon and take ML/HF on their chimeras.

Fast: Take HB on the hull of the hellhounds as they should get to 12-16" and stay at that range.

Heavy: Basilisks aren't too good these days unless you play on a large table when they become fantastic. Hull HF are ok as a last chance to stop hordes that get too close. If you are against orks and eldar then Griffons are a cheap and more accurate alternative that is just as good at killing infantry.
    Vanquisher should definatly take hull lascannon if Pask is on board. Standard russ are great with hull HB.

Remaining points could get a unit of penal troops or a sentinel or two to outflank. Or replace the standard russ with demolishers with hull lascannon.
    Last edited by Mad Cat; December 22nd, 2010 at 13:05.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you!

Ah, thank you for your answers and ideas. Actually you made me rethink some aspects of the of the list.

The least I can do is to post what I think is the improved version of the list. So that you get a follow-up.

HQ
    CCS (125p)
    - 4x GL
    - Chimera
    - ML/HF

Troops
    Vets (180p x3 = 540p)
    -3x PG
    -1x AC
    -Chimera
    -ML/HB

Vets (155 x2 = 310p)
    -3x MG
    -Chimera
    -ML/HF

Fast Attack
    -Hellhound (130p x2 = 260p)
    -HB

Heavy Support
    -Griffon (75p x3 = 225p)
    -HF

LR Exterminator x 2 (165p + 150p =315p)
    1)LC + KC Pask
    2)HB

Hydra Flak (75p x3 = 225p)
    -HB

Total: 2000p

So this is basically my list for supporting my CSM friend in our match against Ork and Eldar. Capable to tear Ork/Eldar infantry to bits and pound the Ork/Eldar vehicles into oblivion.
    *HQ spearheading and choosing suitable targets with GL.
    *Chimelta hunting vehicles and heavy infantry/walkers.
    *Chimera with plasma and AC, securing and holding objectives and acting as stationary firebase.
    *Hellhounds maneuvering the battlefield burning down infantry in general.
    *Griffons laying down barrages on exposed infantry.
    *LR Exterminator hunting AV 10-12 Vehicles and heavy infantry.
    *Hydra Flaks also hunting vehicles (AV 10-12) and all types of heavy units with a hellish rate of ST7 fire.

How these unit roles will be cooperating with the CSM is a question of pragmatism and planing. But I think my list will do its part.

So, what do you think about this updated list, with the improvements suggested?
    As usual; any ideas, feedback and criticism is appreciated and welcome.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Looking good mate, looking good.

1] Do you need 5 Troops choices at 2k? Is your Chaos player friend low on them? You can probably make do with 4 troops at 2k. If you feel like you need the extra unit then thats fine but if you don't then use the points for something else. Another Hell Hound maybe??

2] I'd consider grabbing the Hell Hound a Multi Melta. It means he can hunt tanks if he needs to and makes him a good all rounder. It's personal taste to be honest and I never thought a BS3 gun was worth 15pts but now I'm warming to the idea.

3] Have you paid for Pask? It doesn't look like you've paid for him in the totals.

+ Reply to Thread