<3000 1500 up to 2000. Ideas? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

1500 up to 2000. Ideas?

Ok lads I’ve just finished my 1500pt army and I’m looking to make it up to 2000pts. I’d rather not change anything in my 1500pt list as I’ve just finished painting it all!!! So, with that in mind what do you think I should add?

Theme!! (the important bit), the chapter is a Dorn successor so it’s a bit of a siege fest army. I’d like to keep it mainly Infantry based. However, I’m toying with the idea of the additional 500pts being a small Imperial Fist (or maybe Black Templar?) force which can be what ever I/you want.

My current list is…….

Chaplin - Power fist -125pts
    Librarian - Gateway & Machine Curse -100pts

Tactical Squad (10 man) - Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun, Power fist -210pts
    Tactical Squad (10 man) - Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun, Power fist -210pts
    Scout Squad (10 man) – Snipers, H-Bolter

Devastator squad (5 man) – 4 M-Launchers -150pts
    Devastator squad (5 man) – 4 M-Launchers -150pts

Iron Clad - Standard gear + H-Flamer -145pts
    Dreadnaught – Twin-Autocannon, M-Launcher -125pts
    Dreadnaught – Assault Cannon, CCW & H-Flamer -125pts

So,
    If I went with Black Templars….. I was thinking about 2 full Assault squads either in Rhino’s or with their Jump Packs. I can do both out of my bitz box so it’s no big deal what I go with. Armaments can be anything. Or shall I just go crazy and have a 10 man squad of Vanguard armed to the teeth? It would be a nice conversion project for the army…even if it’s not for the same army.....if that makes any sense at all.

If I go with Imperial Fists…… I was thinking either 2 Tactical squads in Rhinos armed with Melta and Power Fists or…….Actually I’ve got no idea, it could be anything. I can do any form of Infantry be it Terminators, Marines or Scouts. Tanks are not so easy to magic out my bitz box but I can do Rhinos and maybe a Razorback.

So, Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd go with the jump pack unit, since you don't have any fast units. a then man squad would do well i think, you could actually put the chaplain in here. then they'll be extra hard. also, a unit of terminators would do nice, though you don't have the elites slots, so you could take a second jump pack squad. i wouldn't take rhino's though, they're to easy to take out if you only use two, and the the assault squad is a little slow.

hope this helps

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Normally I'd suggest some Land Speeders, but Assault Marines would work fairly well as well if you're going for an infantry list. If you've got the points, you could also package in an upgrade for the scout team to give them Sgt Tellion (It's been confirmed in the last FAQ that he gives his whole squad the stealth USR, which makes them pretty nice)

I'm kinda curious though, just what are you doing with your HQs currently? Since you don't have a dedicated assault unit of some sort, you're really not getting the most out of that chaplain.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by watchwood View Post
    Normally I'd suggest some Land Speeders, but Assault Marines would work fairly well as well if you're going for an infantry list. If you've got the points, you could also package in an upgrade for the scout team to give them Sgt Tellion (It's been confirmed in the last FAQ that he gives his whole squad the stealth USR, which makes them pretty nice)

I'm kinda curious though, just what are you doing with your HQs currently? Since you don't have a dedicated assault unit of some sort, you're really not getting the most out of that chaplain.
    I do have 3 Land Speeders knocking around in my bitz box. They're the old metal ones with Assault Cannons and H-bolters, which I do love using. However due to my lack of armour they will probably just get too much attention from A-T fire and not be worth it. Tellion does sound good as an Upgrade so I might consider him. His BS might go to waste though as there is only a H-Bolter in the squad but Stealth would be handy.

HQs.......
    The Chaplin is fairly wasted in all honesty. The only reason I chose him was to represent a 'lieutenant'. I didn't want someone in the army with the stats of a Captain. I was toying with just making him a Captain but I'm not sure my list would benefit a great deal with the change. Even a Tactical squad can be fairly nasty when led by a chaplin.

As for the Librarian he's there purely to Zap Land Raiders with Machine Curse (which this list has a hell of a job dealing with) and to teleport the Tacticals quads onto objectives. Other than that it's just because I liked the old metal Model.

Cheers for the responses guys. I think I might grab 2 squads of 10 Assault Marines (with packs). I was thinking of tooling one up with Plasma Pistols and one up with Flamers but the upgrades seem hideously expensive so I'm not sure it's worth it. I am concenred about only having 3 scoring units at 2k though. Even with combat squadding it just isn't enough. Maybe I should go for some Drop podding Tactical squads instead?
    Last edited by Lord Borak; December 22nd, 2010 at 17:11.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Given that your armour list at 2k is going to consist of 3 dreadnoughts, I don't see how adding a few speeders would make a massive difference either way.

Tellion's BS6 is fantastic - he'll hit quite reliably, and you can use his eyes of vengeance rule to pick out powerfist users, meltagunners, and the like from enemy squads. Most of the rest of the squad is honestly just there to cap objectives and keep him alive.

Instead of the chaplain, perhaps a pair of MM attack bikes would benefit you more? That'd also give you a rather reliable unit for handling your odd Land Raider.

More tactical squads couldn't really hurt you much, though I wouldn't bother with podding them. Another option is to take a pair of 5 man Assault Squads with 2 plasma pistols each (SGT and another guy), and use them to flank and crack open light tanks. Maybe throw some power fists in there too to help them out. I do something similar sometimes as a BT player, and it works fairly well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick FYI I think your tact. squads are are 220 not 210. I'm getting 180 for the squad 5/10 for PC/PG and 25 for the PF. Also in the codex I don't see a CCW/Flamer. Just some thoughts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

170 for 10 is correct, not 180.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Aye, the Tactical squads are 170 for 10 (90+80 ). So they're 210 in total. The Dread has a 'Dreadnaught' Close Combat Weapon (CCW) with built in H-Flamer.

+ Reply to Thread