<2000 1750 Mech Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1750 Mech Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

1750 Mech Guard

HQ
    Company Command 4 meltaguns officer of the fleet chimera

Elites
    Psyker Battle Squad 8 psykers 1 overseer chimera

Troops
    Veterans 3 meltaguns chimera
    Veterans 3 meltaguns chimera
    Veterans 3 plasma guns chimera
    Veterans 3 flamers demolitions
    Veterans 3 flamers demolitions

Fast Attack
    3 Scout Sentinels 3 autocannons
    Vendetta

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Demolisher hull flamer

*All chimeras have multi laser/heavy flamer combo

Now this list isnt quite 1750pts, it's actually 1455, but I have 2 way of finishing the list and this thread is a question of which route should I go, rather than asking you guys to critique the list above.

So i'm either finishing this list by adding a second leman russ demolisher with a hull heavy flamer and a vendetta or a leman russ exterminator with a hull lascannon and a valkyrie with rocket pods.

Normally i'd have gone with the demolisher and vendetta but I have may alpha strike some armies by using the vendettas to deliver the demolition-flamer vets. This has caused me to worry about the possibility of my opponent seizing the initiative. I know this isnt very likely but if it happens i may be screwed. I would have just anded him 2 of my best AT units in the vendettas and lost 20 veterans for nothing. With the change to a valkyrie and exterminator i'm still running the risk of my opponent seizing the initiative but at least all of my AT "eggs" wont be in the initiative "basket".

So what do you guys think? Is the chance of the initiative being stolen worth making the change? I have the demolisher and exterminator and i'm currently building the valk or vendetta so the models aren't a problem.

IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

If you're going for the standard alpha strike, just make sure that your Vendetta scout move is over 12 in. This will get you a 4+ cover save in the event that your opponent does seize the inititiative. While that doesn't make the Vendettas "safe", it will increase the amount of AT fire required to take them down.

As far as force composition, I'd opt for the Demolisher and Vendetta. Demolishers seem to scare more people than the Vendettas in my area.

As to losing the Vendettas "for nothing", I'd have to disagree. If they soak up an appropriate amount of fire to allow your meltavets and Demolishers to get into range, then I would argue that they've done their job.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Personally I'd go with a Vanilla Russ and a Vendetta.

Being the agressive sort that I am, I'd play the odds of not having my initiative stolen and just move the Vendettas up to strike with. Even if they die, they can still deploy their vets anywhere within 2" of the base. Which is still a huge pain for an opponent to deal with.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SandWyrm View Post
    Personally I'd go with a Vanilla Russ and a Vendetta.

Being the agressive sort that I am, I'd play the odds of not having my initiative stolen and just move the Vendettas up to strike with. Even if they die, they can still deploy their vets anywhere within 2" of the base. Which is still a huge pain for an opponent to deal with.
    I like being able to use Demolishers as Flank guards for my meltavet rushes. I prefer to let my LRBTs hang back a bit from the immediate carnage.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I personally prefer the demolisher to a vanilla russ, i've used them both and the demolisher always outpreforms the vanilla russ. The demoliher is better able to support the rest of my tanks and the cannon can deal with anything from the monoliths (yes people here do use necrons on occasion) and terminators, as well as instant killing thnderwolves.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

+ Reply to Thread