<2000 1500 Messing with Vulkan - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

1500 Messing with Vulkan

Drop podding twin linked meltas and flamers is the name of the game

Vulkan

Tactical w/ PF, MG, PC
    Drop pod
    Tactical w/ PF, MG, PC
    Drop pod

Sternguard w/ 7x combi melta
    Drop pod

Dreadnaught w/ MM, HF
    Drop pod
    Dreadnaught w/ MM, HF
    Drop pod

Landspeeder w/ MM, HF
    Landspeeder w/ MM, HF
    Landspeeder w/ MM, HF

Vulkan teams up with one of the sternguard combat teams.

is it viable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

It is viable, however I can see a change that I would make. Drop the Plasma Cannons, and pick up Multi-Melta's. Those squads are Poddin' in anyways, and you will definately be within 12" of a vehicle to get the extra d6 for the Multi-Melta. Also, Vulkan lets you re-roll these, as I am sure you know. If you are going to use a special rule, "Spam it to death" as I always say.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

@WG - the problem with your idea is that Multimeltas are heavy weapons, which makes them unusable on the turn that the marines pod down (see the rules about disembarking from vehicles), which means that your enemy will have a turn to move out of range of that extra D6. It's still a useful pick if you're dropping them onto an objective, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

78 (x1)

I agree with the point about the multi melta. but I have had great success with plasma cannon combat squads on objectives and preferably in cover. Also, they can be used to counter an opponent who sees my first turn drop pod attack and reserves everything. Dropping plasmas (and one dread) with good shooting lanes and using the speed of the speeders to pick of the enemy as his troops arrive piecemeal... Hopefully the second dread and the sternguards will find some great targets when they come into play...

If the enemy doesn't reserve everything the dreads, Vulkan and the sternguards will be the first to arrive. Two sternguard combat squads and two dreads should be able to take out every thing big! The tacticals will drop on objectives.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I actually run an army much like this at 2000 points (albeit with alot less Land Speeders and Sternguard and alot more Dreadnaughts ) so I can hopefully be of some help to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoMarine View Post
    Drop podding twin linked meltas and flamers is the name of the game

Vulkan

Tactical w/ PF, MG, PC
    Drop pod
    Tactical w/ PF, MG, PC
    Drop pod
    Although I have tried Drop Podding Plasma Cannons I have had very mixed success. Some of it has gone good some not so good. I have made the switch to Multi Meltas and Missile Launchers but I can see where you're coming from with your Plasma Cannons.

Sternguard w/ 7x combi melta
    Drop pod
    I would definately like to see this squad bumped up to 10 men or dropped down to 5. If it isnt at 10 models to start you won't be allowed to Combat Squad and so much of your Melta will go either unused or wasted on your first turn of drop. Other than that if you can find them the points buy them a Power Fist, just in case.

Dreadnaught w/ MM, HF
    Drop pod
    Dreadnaught w/ MM, HF
    Drop pod
    Looks good although you might want to consider Extra Armour should you be able to find the points. It may not look like much on paper but I don't even know how many times my opponent has had to pour two or three squads worth of extra fire power into my Dreadnaughts simply because the Dread is Shaken and will be able to assault him next turn.

Landspeeder w/ MM, HF
    Landspeeder w/ MM, HF
    Landspeeder w/ MM, HF
    Drop the Land Speeders. They do not contribute to your Drop Pod Alpha Strike and so will not bring their Multi Meltas on the board when you need them most (ie turn 1). Having to wait an extra turn or 2 can mean alot more than you may think.

Vulkan teams up with one of the sternguard combat teams.

is it viable?
    Should you drop the Land Speeders and Plasma Cannons you will have enough points to buy Extra Armour on both Dreadnaughts, 3 more Sternguard with Combi Meltas, and a bare bones Librarian which should almost always have Null Zone or Psychic Hood range to your entire opponents army. Hope that helps and have a great 2011.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

78 (x1)

Just to clarify! the sternguard is a 10 man squad. The reason for the 7 combi meltas are points. Can't afford any more. 3 and 4 TL melta shots should do the trick!

I added the land speeders for more mobility. Once this army hits it will be quite static, so in my opinion land speeders roaming around aren't that stupid.

Beside I feel that i would have too few units in a 1,5k battle if I binned the landspeeders.

Haven't used landspeeders that much but they seem to add great versatility(squishy as flies, but still...) and I've yet to use em' with Vulkan! who can only improve them.

Oh, and happy new year all

+ Reply to Thread