<2000 Codex: Gunline 1500pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Codex: Gunline 1500pts

I accept it wholeheartedly, if a little frustrated. Well, very frustrated. Eldar, with warp-damned warlock council on jetbikes with lots of skimmers are just too damned fast. I played them with a fairly quick C: SM army, and got pwned because he moved too fast. Having learnt that lesson the hard way, I was thinking: would a highly static and slow-moving space marine army work against Eldar? The cheesiest, most boring, slowest most gunned-up army... could it work?

Here is what I am currently working on, a solid base. Of course there is room for improvement, so please rip to shreds to make it the cheesiest, most gunny static army possible against eldar and only eldar. Yeah, call me a bad sport.

HQ

Master of the Forge: Conversion Beamer 120pts

Elites

Sternguard Veteran Squad: 2 Combi-Meltas, Drop Pod 295pts

Dreadnought: Plasma Cannon, Missile Launcher 125pts

Terminator Assault Squad?: TH/SS 200pts (What else would be better? Do these fit in?)

Troops

10 Tactical Marines: Plasma Gun, Missile Launcher 190pts

10 Scouts: 9 Sniper Rifles, Heavy Bolter 150pts (should I take Telion?)

Heavy Support

Dreadnought: TL Autocannon, TL Autocannon 125pts

Thunderfire Cannon 100pts (are these good? Should I take 2-3 of them? Or is a vindicator better?)

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the list? I take as much cover as possible then shoot stuff till I run out of bullets or targets. I am considering, instead of the assault termies: an ironclad, for AT; another 1-2 thunderfires; dakka preds; 2 whirlies; Vindi. What do you think?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Well, a static line might work, but it might fail miserably as well. Unless you can wipe out all your opponent's units, you won't win any objective games.

I can see why you choose for the MotF given the distribution of your dreads in the FoC. That said, the conversion beamer works best at range and since you're facing a mobile army, that gap will be closed real soon and your conversion beamer will lose its effectiveness. I only run a MotF in a dread themed list and then I do it with a bike so I can create some distance.

assault termies are fun and hardhitting but here they would be downgraded to a counterattack unit while your opponent could basically run circles around them and whitle them down.

Tellion would give stealth to your scouts, thus improving their survivability so i'd add him to the unit if you want to use them. Swap the HB out for a ML for duality.

A single thunderfire cannon will be taken out quite soon. It has its uses, but it is extremely vulnerable. Double up on this thing at least if you wan't to use it but I'm no great fan of these ones.

What units you decide to add to the mix should greatly depend on what you can expect to face. a wraithlord or fire prisms? take at least a pred for those. you could consider adding razorbacks to your tacs simply for some added firepower and/or movable roadblocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, cheers. New thoughts.

HQ

Librarian 100pts

Elites

Sternguard: 2 Combi-Meltas, Drop Pod 295pts

Dreadnought: TL Autocannon, Missile Launcher 125pts

Troops

10 Scouts: 8 Snipers, 1 Missile, Telion 200pts

Heavy Support

Thunderfire Cannon 100pts

Predator: HB sponsons 85pts

The plan remains similar: beat the enemy into submission with very big sticks while hugging the baseline. I've dropped the conversion beamer and put in a bike for the MotF, so he can race around blessing stuff. Will this realisticly help? No longer sure about the conversion beamer. The other list I am considering is still similar, with less infantry, but has even bigger sticks:

HQ

Librarian 100pts

Elites

Troops

10 Tactical Marines: Flamer, Missile Launcher, Drop Pod, Deathwind 235pts

Heavy Support

Vindicator 115pts

Vindicator 115pts

Vindicator 115pts

OR I could take a very scout heavy force, just for the lolz so he thinks 'Space Marines, an elite force. Won't worry about quantity' and then sees 60 infantry.

HQ

Librarian

Troops

10 Sniper Scouts: Telion, ML 200pts

10 Sniper Scouts: ML 150pts

10 Sniper Scouts: Heavy Bolter 150pts

10 Combat Scouts: Shotguns, Power Weap 155pts

10 Combat Scouts: Shotguns 140pts

10 Tactical Scouts: Boltguns, HB 150pts

Fast Attack

Land Speeder Storm 50pts

Land Speeder Storm 50pts

What do you think of the adjustments? Which list is now your favourite for being a static gunline that has a vague chance against Eldar?
    Last edited by Sir Konrad; January 5th, 2011 at 23:18. Reason: Changing list

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Ahhh gunline, I love armies like this, takes away the complexity of the assault phase

I'm not going to tell you exactly what to take, but I will give some suggestions.

For me, you're talking AP4 against (most) Eldar. Which means Whirlwind definitely > Vindicator, Thunderfire Cannons are brilliant provided they survive, and heavy bolters are loads of fun.

I'd take a Librarian for your HQ so he can use his psychic hood, if most of your army will be static he can probably cover quite a lot of them with its bubble.

Land Speeders with HB / HF are also going to blast and roast them to crispy bits.

If you are worried about being swarmed, try a tactical/sternguard squad and/or dreadnoughts in drop pods to land somewhere away from your main force, forcing him to either go back and get them or split his forces.

Just some initial thoughts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

Well, I would completely dismiss the scout list. It can be fun running a themed list like that one, but it lacks strong fire support so it would be a no go.

In both other lists, I don't see any way how the MotF is working unless trying to repair your vehicles. I think a librarian is a superior HQ choice for the points unless you need something special like pedro or the likes. Like Chrispcarter indicated, his psychic hood can be very significant. I'm not a fan of the whirly though. partly because I'm terrible with scatter, but I'm disappointed with its damage output as well. You very rarely see it on the tabletop these days and with good reason, since the strength of its ordonance is not up to astartes standards. Vindicator is good but its sides are squishy while fast eldar can have it easyer repositioning to get a shot at its side AV. Besides with your gunline, you really want to hit them from far off. Looks to me that thunderfire would be your best bet. with that special ordonance, it could really help you and if the cannon is taken out, maybe you get lucky and you still have a techmarine running about to repair your dreads. I'm a huge fan of predators though. perhaps a dakka pred is worth considering since it can be really hard hitting. I personally never leave home without one in one configuration or the other.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

I don't use predators much but the AC / HB loadout would be good against Eldar.

I think Vindicators are overkill against Eldar because they don't have the 2+ saves or massed high T stuff that a demolisher cannon needs to hit to get back the points, and whilst Whirlwinds are less killy they are also able to hide (somewhat), quite a bit cheaper and able to fire rounds that ignore cover saves.

Thunderfires are good but they have limited staying power so you need to make sure you protect them if you take any. 1 Thunderfire 2 Whirlwinds could be a good combo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

Yes, I doubt that Vindicators are the best choice in a tailored list for Eldar. It could be usefull against wraithlords, but since it deals only 1 wound it would not be your best bet.

If you can have your thunderfire deploy in a ruin, your techmarine can bolster its defences increasing its coversave and thus its survivability. Even though the whirly has rounds that ignore coversaves, I believe thunderfire cannons have them as well along with a special "tremor" kind of round which is usefull against skimmers by forcing them a difficult (or is it dangerous) terrain test. Or at least I think they have, since I haven't got my codex with me and its not a unit I use, so pardon me if I'm mistaken.

Adding a pred to the list with AC/HB would come at 85pts and they can dish out some serious dakka. It could perhaps allow to change the loadout of the dreads in this list. The eldar will wander within 24" of your line and at that point a dread with an assaulcannon would come in handy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

339 (x8)

The TFC does indeed have difficult terrain and ignore cover rounds, it's awesome at dealing out punishment. The downside is it is direct fire only (so needs LoS) and it only takes one failed amour/cover save on the Techmarine and it's gone.

I agree Preds and Dreads could be a good combo. Dreadnoughts vs Eldar NEED to upgrade Storm Bolters to Heavy Flamers though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imo, specifically vs eldar jetbike councils you need to look more towards bolters and less to big heavy units, the easiest way to kill them is to make them take massed saves.

hurricane bolters on dreds, heavy bolter dev squads, predators with AC/Hb sponsons and flamer templates all work well vs them, tho getting many jetbikes under a template can be hard.

i would go for 3 10 man tactical squads, heavy bolter, power fist and plasmagun razorbacks with hbs, take the plasmagun and powerfist to hunt the inevitable fire prisms

2 hb dev squads
    2 dreds with hurrican bolter sponsons
    null zone librarian in a 10 man assault squad with 2 flamers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Null Zone now sounds the most important pyschic power in the history of the universe against Eldar. He uses fortune to give himself re-rollable 4+ invuln saves. To clarify, does this mean: he rolls 3 dice for invuln. Result is 2, 4, 3. He must re-roll 4 because of null zone and cannot re-roll it again for fortune, and gets a 3. He rerolls the 2 and 3 cause of null zone. Result is 1 and 6. He now must reroll the 6 because of null zone, and gets a 5. Therefore he has failed two of his invuln saves. That is the correct way, right?

Well, I might use this force:

HQ

Librarian 100pts

Elites

Sternguard: 2 Combi-Meltas 260pts

Dreadnought: Assault Cannon, TL Autocannon 125pts

Troops

Heavy Support

Predator: HB sponsons 85pts

What else? I have about 35pts spare, which could buy a drop pod for the sternguard, but seeing as he will likely come to me, I think the points could be better spent. How?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast