<1000 750pt doubles tournament guard list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750pt doubles tournament guard list

Below is an all out shooty guard list that I might take to a doubles tournament. The tournament itself allows two players to have an army of 750 points each. The two armies chosen must be able to ally and below the PDF explaining the rules:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_..._pack_2011_PDF

My friend will be using one of the following choices, focusing on backing up my firing line:

Blood Angels
    Eldar
    Space Marines

Here is the list. All comments are welcome

Imperial Guard 750pt

HQ

Lord Commisar = 70

TROOPS

Platoon = 380

Platoon Command Squad = 50
    - 4 Sniper Rifles

Infantry Squad 1 = 75
    - Sniper Rifle
    - Lascannon

Infantry Squad 1 = 75
    - Sniper Rifle
    - Lascannon

Heavy Weapon Team = 90
    - 3 Missile Launchers

Heavy Weapon Team = 90
    - 3 Missile Launchers

FAST ATTACK

Devil Dog = 120

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Punisher = 180

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I'm not a fan of the sniper rifles their performance is too random for my taste and they are not threat to light armor. I find that the grenade launcher is a more solid performer and useful in more situations for the same price.

The Lord Commisar is decent to support your HWSs, you will need a CCS to get access to the best orders however.

Opinion is mixed on missile launchers in HWSs, I favor autocannons in most cases with some lascannons if I have the points.

The Devil Dog should take a hull multimelta to improve it's antitank performance.

The Punisher is a joke in terms of killing MEQs. 20 shots = 10 hits = 6.67 wounds = 2.22 dead marines. I'd opt for a LRBT with a hull lascannon for 15 fewer points.

You also need a 2nd troop choice as the platoon only occupies 1 FOC slot, unless you are sharing a FOC for the tourney.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply. Force organisation is as follows:

1st step - both forces must have 1 HQ and 1 TROOP choice

2nd step - Between the two forces, you must have 1 ELITE, 1 HEAVY SUPPORT and 1 FAST ATTACK

3rd step - Spare points may be spent on other units. Force organisation applies to the 1.500 point army being the combination of both armies. Therefore, between both players, you can have 2 more HEAVY SUPPORT, 2 more FAST ATTACK, 2 more ELITES and 2 more TROOP choices

This list is one edited to your ideas:

HQ

Lord Commissar

TROOPS

Platoon Command Squad = 50
    - 4 Sniper Rifles

Infantry Squad 1 = 70
    - Grenade Launcher
    - Autocannon

Infantry Squad 1 = 70
    - Grenade Launcher
    - Autocannon

Heavy Weapon Team = 90
    - 3 Missile Launchers

Heavy Weapon Team = 90
    - 3 Missile Launchers

FAST ATTACK

Bane Wolf = 150
    - Multi-melta

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Demolisher = 165

TOTAL = 750

I've taken into account what you've said and have a secondary option. This provides 3 Leman Russ tanks and cover all bases in terms of enemy armour quality. The Lord Commissar's purpose is to give my veterans the moral they need, especially if I position them on a defensive objective. As far as the heavy weapon team goes I'm thinking about bringing in an autocannon and spending the spare points on a better hull-mounted weapon for one of the LRs. My first phase of shooting will be directed at any anti-tank the opposition packs whilst my friend does the same. In objective games I would hold the defensive objectives, if a multi objective game, and lay down a barrage where needed to support my friends push into the opposition territory

HQ

Lord Commissar = 70

TROOPS

Veteran Squadron = 105
    - 3 Grenade Launchers
    - Lascannon Team

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Squadron = 575
    - Leman Russ Demolisher = 165
    - Leman Russ Executioner = 230
    Plasma Cannon sponsors
    - Leman Russ Punisher = 180
    Last edited by After Burner; January 8th, 2011 at 03:51.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I think that your first revised list is more viable. Squadroning tanks is usually a bad idea under 2000 points. The downside risks outweigh the advantages imo.

I'd still opt for grenade launchers in the PCS. They'd give you more anti horde flexibility and be more effective in most situations, maybe even give them an Auto cannon and 2 GLs. Sniper rifles will give you 4 shots = 2 hits = 1 would which will be saved against 2/3 of the time against MEQs. But aside from that complaint, I think it looks viable.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

I'd be inclined to agree about grenade launchers in the PCS. Either that or flamers, but you could do with a chimera for that.

I'd also agree with IronWeevil about the first list being stronger. Three tanks packs a lot of punch, but you'd be running a big risk with only one troops choice without a transport. Unless of course, your ally brings lots of troops. But with the armies you suggested I don't think that would be very likely.

You could tweak the first list in various ways. You could maybe swap out a heavy weapons and infantry squad for some shooty vets. Maybe with grenade launchers and camo cloaks. I'd also give the Lord Commissar a power fist if you could find the points. I know you've got him there for leadership, but he is a combat character so I'd make the most of that. Carapace wouldn't go amiss either.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

+ Reply to Thread