<2000 Newbie 1850 shooty list help. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie 1850 shooty list help.

Hello I am looking to start a SM army and had a few ideas but am not sure how workable they would be.

First Version: I am not sure if lacking transport would be a crippling flaw or not.
    Headquarters: 300
    1 Terminator Captain, +Storm Shield, +Melta Bombs
    1 MotF, +3 Servitors

Tactical Squad: 190
    10 Marines, +Storm Bolter, +Lascannon

Tactical Squad: 190
    10 Marines, +Storm Bolter, +Lascannon

Terminator Squad: 230
    5 Terminators, +Cyclone Missiles

Heavy Support: 160
    1 Dreadnought, +twin-linked lascannon, +twin-linked auto cannon. + extra armor

Version 2: I end up every 3rd in the types of groups to get transports.

Headquarters: 280
    1 Terminator Captain, +Storm Shield,
    1 Terminator Chaplin

Tactical Squad: 225
    10 Marines, +Storm Bolter, +Lascannon, +Rhino

Tactical Squad: 225
    10 Marines, +Storm Bolter, +Lascannon, +Rhino

Terminator Squad: 725
    10 Terminators, +2 Cyclone Missiles, +Land Raider+Extra Armor,

Dreadnought Squad: 195
    1 Dreadnought, +twin-linked lascannon, +twin-linked auto cannon, + extra armor, +Drop pod

Dreadnought Squad: 195
    1 Dreadnought, +twin-linked lascannon, +twin-linked auto cannon, + extra armor, +Drop pod

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone?

Beuller... Beuller... Beuller...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

So, your first couple of lists ey.

Now about your lists.
    The first one, as you said yourself has a serious lack of mobility. This is the first of problems I see with this list.
    Next to this, you have a captain as HQ choice. A captain is only good for CC and you have no dedicated CC unit in this list, so drop him. If you really want two HQ's, take a librarian instead or just go with the MotF.
    Stormbolters on tacs? waste of points, drop them, take the free assault weapon and give your sarge a powerweapon or a powerfist topped off with a combi bolter if you have the points. Since you want to take advantage of the long range the lascannon gives you, you'll want this guy shooting every turn. give both units razorbacks, combat squad and let the sarge go forward with assault weapon and three bolter marines to take objectives.
    3 Units of termies footsloggin accross the board. the cyclone ML makes that they can practically shoot across the board. But 3 of these units is way to much! drop at least two of these. They can be replaced by Sternguard with combi bolters and a transport, wich are far more shootier than these termies while having more mobility. The AC together with the LC on the dreads is not really bad, but, I'd prefer to take ML instead of the AC here. The ML has more potential to pop armoured vehicles than the AC and with its frag missiles you can use it to kill infantry.

Now the second list.

again two HQ's, neiter both of them have a goal nor can they maximise their ability's. I already explained the captain above, now the chaplain is an assault based leader. Without a dedicated assault unit, this guy is pretty worthless. So as above drop both and take a librarian instead.
    Again, drop the stormbolter on the tacs. Give both sarges a special CC weapon, so PW or PF combi bolter if you can find the points. Consider taking one tac with meltagun and Multi Melta in the rhino, so you have a mobile melta bunker. Consider taking for the second unit ML and flamer, with ML keeping your home objective while sarge goes forward with assault weapon in razorback.
    Now you have 10 shooty terms in an assault vehicle. The LR has no firepoints, so they would have to disembark to fire their weapons. There you lose the effectiveness of either the ranged weapon or the effectiveness of an assault vehicle. Besides this unit takes up almost half of your points. If you want to take a combo like this, take TH/SS termies with a LR for assaults.

Shooty dreads in pods? That is a no go! Either you want to have these guys shooting from turn one or you want dreads that drop in to tie up and take out certain units. So, if you want shooty dreads, scrap the pods. Besides Drop pods are only good in irregular numbers. take 3,5 or 7 since half, rounded up comes down first turn and you have to roll for the rest as normal.

At this pointlevel, I'd really like to see at least a third scoring unit. consider looking into some more heavy support too, the likes of vindicators or predators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much for your advice and the explaining of why Broadsword! I learned a good bit at something I am very new to and have a better understanding, I think, of the purpose based synergies that have to be built up rather than just having a bunch of guys trying to do various things. With that, I remade the second list and dropped the first.

Headquarters: 175
    Master of the Forge +3 Servitors
    1 Rhino(Not sure if this can be taken)

Troop Squads: 705
    TacSquad: +5 SM, +Meltagun, +Multi-melta, +Rhino, +Extra Armor, +Dozer blade

Elites: 480
    Dreadnought: +TL Las, +Missile Launcher, +extra Armor

Hvy Support: 480

So that gives 3 Rhinos with Meltaguns and Multi-Meltas in the hatches, and filled with large Tactical squads to take objectives with support from 6 Dreadnoughts with TL Las and missiles, and the COM to do the repairs.

Again, thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Hpt.steiner; January 11th, 2011 at 04:45. Reason: Compleat refignment of force

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

I'm pretty sure you could do without the dozerblades and the extra armour on the rhino's;
    With the points freed up from those, you could give the sarges some special weapons for in CC.

Now having 6 shooty dreads on the field is nice and will make your average opponent scratch his head, but uniformity is not really key in their loadout.
    Think about how you want this list to work. I'd personally prefer to have some dreads to move up with my tacs if I had six in my list. An Ironclad or two might be nice to take the point for the army or you could have a dread or three in pods. The army must suit your playstyle to achieve its maximum effectiveness and you need an idea on how you wish to run it.

+ Reply to Thread