<2000 2000 point full mech list. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

2000 point full mech list.

HQ

Lord commisar

TROOPS

10 veterans, 3 plasmaguns, chimera
    10 veterans, 3 plasmaguns, chimera
    10 veterans, 2 meltaguns, chimera
    10 veterans, 2 meltaguns, chimera

FAST ATTACK

2 scout sentinels, autocannons
    Hellhound, multi-melta
    Hellhound, multi-melta

HEAVY SUPPORT

2 leman russ battletanks
    2 leman russ battletanks
    2 leman russ demolishers

All of the chimeras have muti-lasers and hull mounted heavy flamers
    All of the leman russes have hull mounted heavy flamers

I'm not sure whether to have the autocannons on the sentinels or to take out a special weapon from the veterans to give them lascannons?

I went with a split of plasma vets and melta vets because of the distibution of them that you get in the cadian special weapon blister - didn't want to waste them and I'm no good at converting at all so didn't want to weapon swap myself!

thoughts? I dont have the models for most of this yet but its the end goal - I have two infantry squads and two chimeras so far.... getting there!

Last edited by waddywoos; January 11th, 2011 at 00:59. Reason: to enact recommended changes.
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I think that I would want some kind of AV12 flank support for your melta vets. This could be done with Hellhounds or Vendettas with equal ease. I'd suggest dropping a LRBT from each of the 3 tank squadrons to make this happen. A Hellhound with a hull MM and smoke discharger comes out the same in point costs as a stock LRBT.

I'd stick with the autocannons on the Sentinels.

I question the choice of a Lord Commissar. Unless your planning on assaulting with this list (why ever would you?), I think that the Primaris Psyker qould be a better choice. Dropping a tank and getting a CCS with 4x Plasmaguns and a Chimera would be better still.

In general play the Vanquishers do not perform as well as a dedicated tank buster should (The miss rate on BS3 is a real downer). I'd recommend Demolishers or Medusas for this role. The templates give you a little more wiggle room.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

I thought about demolishers but they only have a 24 inch range which isn't particularly far, and I have two squads of melta vets for close range anti-tank firepower. The vanquishers have considerably longer range and have the AV14 on the front compared to the medusa being more vulnerable... there's a little bit of personal preference for the vanquishers looking cool as well. I'll give the vanquishers a go because you get the turrents for them with regular russes, and if their miss rate infuriates me too much then i'll try out medusas and demolishers as you suggested.

I'm curious about the 'flank support' thing. I've seen it suggested in other threads around here too. Could you possibly explain the purpose of removing an AV14 vehicle with an Ap3 template for an AV12 vehicle with a lesser weapon?? I'm not rubbishing it at all i'm just curious as to the logic behind it because I can't make sense of it?

I took the lord commisar for two reasons. 1 - He's cheaper than a company command squad and doesn't need an extra transport. 2 - thematically I wanted to go with this being a commisar leading his veterans on a last charge in their chimeras, then being liberated from the jaws of death by the arrival of an armoured company (the russes). It also lets me have a go at converting a special commisarial chimera in black, to break up the standard camo patterns on the rest of the models. i know I didn't put that down in my original post and I should have - sorry about that :/

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

My reasoning behind the flanking vehicles being Hellhounds is that they are fast, and high threat, as well as being the only way for IG to deploy a multimelta. The reason for the flanking vehicle requiring 12+ side armor is that AV10 (Chimera chassis) is glanceable by your basic shootas and bolters. AV12 is proof againts anything S5 or less.

The logic for dropping a Russ for a hellhound is to a) allow for more targeting during the shooting phase. A squadron can fire a a single target. b) should your meltavets crack open a transport, the hellhound will be nearby to fry them up and deny them a cover save. c) Being fast, the hellhound can move 12 inches and then fire a multimelta or the inferno cannon, while only being hittable in assault on a 6. This is a handy trait to have and should draw some hate away from your slightly more vulnerable and scoring meltavets. d) Multimeltas have a more reliable shot at punching heavy armor than the battle cannon, while the inferno cannon is the most precise weapon in the IG arsenal, wounds most infantry on 2s, and denies cover saves. These are handy traits to have in an all comers list.

You have fluffy(read as thematic) reasons for wanting a Lord Commissar, so I will not argue that point further.

On the issue of the 24 inch Demolisher range, I've seen precious few table setups where my LRBTs got the full benefit of their battle cannon's range. Given 24 in range plus 12 in deployment zones, and a 6 in move, you should have pretty good threat range. That should hit anything within 6 inches of your opponent's table edge.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Okay I see your point there. The enemy will just shoot at the chimeras all game with lascannons etc so by adding more chimera hulls moving towards the enemy into the army they will have to split their fire a bit more which is a good thing. You also pointed out that the russes in a squadron all have to shoot at the same target which I'd completely overlooked as I played tau before this and am used to all the crisis suits in a uint picking different targets to shoot at with their special wargear. In which case 2 in a squadron is fine but 3 would be overkill I think, which provides 300 points spare by dropping the third russ in each squadron so I can add two hellhounds with multimeltas and smoke launchers in seperate fast attack slots leaving it at 2000 points exactly still.

I suppose the benefit of demolishers is that if there aren't many enemy vehicles then I can park them together in the middle of the board and dare infantry to come near them, a bit like vindicators but with more armour. They're more multi-role than vanquishers, so you sacrifice the range for the flexibility I suppose. definitely something I will proxy and figure out. I still think the vanquisher cannon should be S10 AP1 with the additional +1 on the table because otherwise its a bit naff as it misses half the time. If it hits then it should be a likely kill!!! As it stands you have to roll a 4+ just to glance the front armour of a chimera with it which is totally against the fluff! Hmm... the more i'm typing the more I'm thinking demolishers may be the way to go!! I'd also forgotten that you could move 6 inches and fire, so its just artillery like basiisks and griffons that can't move and shoot? I found the ordnance and ordnance barrage section in the rulebook confusing so I never moved my vindicators when I played marines just to make sure I could shoot.

thanks for understanding about the lord commmisar - sorry again for forgetting to put that in before!!

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Since the Commissar Lord will not be using his abilities (orders and leadership) in a mech army, you might as well swap him for a Psyker Lord, who can use his powers from the fire point in a Chimera.

A BS3 Vanquisher has exactly 50% chance to be entirely ineffective each round. When it hits, it doesn't even have AP1 for the damage roll bonus. They are also useless against foot armies. Add to that they cost MORE than other, better, Russes... making them the Rough Riders of their FOC slot.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    A BS3 Vanquisher has exactly 50% chance to be entirely ineffective each round. When it hits, it doesn't even have AP1 for the damage roll bonus. They are also useless against foot armies. Add to that they cost MORE than other, better, Russes... making them the Rough Riders of their FOC slot.
    Ah, yes i've just been to check the vanquisher entry in the book and found that I was wrong about the vanquisher's special ability. Its weapon is basically and 72 inch range multimelta. Hmm... not great. Like I said its a shame because I really love the idea of them destroying tanks easily and squadrons of them having a go at titans

Demolishers it is then!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

I like the revised list. It's a bit troops light, but it fits your theme. 6 Russes hittiing the table will definitely make most opponents wish for a fresh change of underwear. I think that it has the potential to be viable in competition. Let us know how you do with it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeevil View Post
    I like the revised list. It's a bit troops light, but it fits your theme. 6 Russes hittiing the table will definitely make most opponents wish for a fresh change of underwear. I think that it has the potential to be viable in competition. Let us know how you do with it.
    thanks IronWeevil - I just got my student loan installment today so now that you and reckless have given me a hand I can order the rest of it from wayland and save a fair amount too

Now to paint it!!! I'll be making a project thread as soon as my new camera arrives, i'll put a link to it in a new post here so you can have a look if you like

+ Reply to Thread