<2000 1000 first space wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

1000 first space wolves

I want to try a "count as" space wolves army. I don't wont to invest in a new army and if you check out the link in the signature, you can see that my paint job is quite close to space wolves(and they have been mistaken for space wolves many times). I think it unnessecary to have two grey space marine armies!

1000 points:

every thing in () is what models ill be using.

Rune priest w/ living lightning and storm caller

Rune priest w/ living lightning and jaws of the world wolf (i'll use librarian miniatures for these)

3x Wolf guard w/ combi melta and frost blade
    (I got two unused commander and command squad boxes. Ill make some venerable looking marines)

6x Greyhunters w/ meltagun, power weapon and rhino (tactical marines. got plenty of those
    6x Greyhunters w/ meltagun, power weapon and rhino (same as above)
    7x Greyhunters w/ meltagun, power weapon and rhino (same as above)

6x Longfangs w/ 5x missile launcher and power weapon (devastators)

934 points

Ok, now.
    Tactics: grey hunters get a power armoured wolf guard each and the rune priest go with the two smaller grey hunter squads.

Everything power weapons and along with counter strike should ensure that everything bold enough to charge me will get hurt!

long fangs living lightning against transports and medium armour. greyhunters along with power armoured wolf guards go after heavy armour with the melta shots.

What do you think. About the armylist and the count as part. I know my friend won't mind, but what do people in general think about "count as" armies.

*as Mulletdude pointed out, I had and illegal cyclone termie in the list. I have removed him*

Last edited by DemoMarine; January 14th, 2011 at 00:18.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biggest issue I see with this list is that you need 5x members in the wolf guard squad to take a termie w/ special weapon (i.e add the 4th power armor dude then take the terminator w/ special wep). I would not run frost weapons in the guard squad. You could save an easy 30 points there just 'downgrading' to regular power weapons. If you downgrade to power weps, drop 1 man from the long fangs and 2 from the 7x squad in the rhino, you can add the 5th member of the guard and another 4x long fags ML pack.

I personally don't mind counts as armies, espically when you're already using marine models. Most of the people I play with also understand the budget limitations of this game, and we even have a Tau player that coverted some firewarriors to play them as marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

78 (x1)

You are absolutely right about the terminator with the cyclone launcher! Damn!

Ill have to remove him. What to do then?...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

78 (x1)

Kudos to mullet for the idea!

Second try:

1000 points:

Rune priest w/ wolf tail talisman, living lightning and jaws of the world wolf

3x Wolf guard w/ combi melta and power weapon

6x Greyhunters w/ meltagun, power weapon and rhino
    6x Greyhunters w/ meltagun, power weapon and rhino
    7x Greyhunters w/ meltagun, power weapon and rhino

5x Longfangs w/ 4x missile launcher and power weapon
    5x Longfangs w/ 4x missile launcher

999 points

Issues with the second try: I dont own 8 missile launchers!

third try:

1000 points:

Rune priest w/ wolf tail talisman, living lightning and jaws of the world wolf

4x Wolf guard w/ combi melta and power weapon
    1x Wolf guard w/ terminator armour and cyclone launcher

5x Greyhunters w/ meltagun and rhino

6x Longfangs w/ 5x missile launcher

Last edited by DemoMarine; January 14th, 2011 at 01:15.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Sadly your rune priests are illegal. the codex says the can't have the same psychic powers (your good here), or wargear options, and having nothing as wargear on either means they have the same wargear. just give one of them meltabombs, and your good.
    Everything else looks pretty good! Just to shake things up, maybe just take two 8-man squads, and get rid of the power weapons to give your Wolf Guard powerfists, then take a Land Speeder. If you have the points left over after that, give the hunter squads Wolf standards (These are great items!).
    Last edited by Taubeast; January 14th, 2011 at 00:46.
    Tau Empire: We never stop hiding from you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

78 (x1)

Corrected the rune priest issue! although I added the wolf tail talisman instead of melta bombs. the first priest has a psychic power cover save so I gave the second one some defence too (against psychic powers).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

If you can free up the points and keep the squad sizes down, try TLHB Razerbacks instead of Rhino's. I run 6 of them in my 1500 Wolves list, and I've found all that firepower to be quite useful, and very underestimated by my opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one suggestion that I would make is switching out one of the grey hunter packs for a wolf scout pack if you have the models. 5x Greyhunters w/ meltagun and rhino = 115 while 5x Wolf Scouts w/melta = 85 saving you 30 points. You can still attach a Wolf Guard to the Wolf Scout pack. Outflanking the Wolf Scouts will let you deal with units such as whirlwinds, broadsides, and manticores that opponents like to hide behind area terrain in their deployment zones and can cause major headaches for your infantry based force. The extra 30 points could be used to upgrade most of your Wolf Guards with power fists, upgrade some of your grey hunter squads with mark of the wulfen, or something entirely different.

+ Reply to Thread