<1000 1000 pts Penal Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 pts Penal Legion

I am a novice guard player

Just Slapped this list together for some fun and a change from my usual units and playstyl. My MAin concern is a lack of antitank, I will be playing agains Spacemarines and have no doubt that I will come up against a land raider.

looking for some feedback on how to optimize this but please try to avoid major overhauls
    Total 1000

CCS 80
    3xMeltaGun

Penal Legion Squad 80
    Penal Legion Squad 80
    Penal Legion Squad 80
    Penal Legion Squad 80

5 Ratlings 50
    Marbo 65

Hellhound 145
    MultiMelta

Demolisher 180
    LasCannon

Manticore 160
    heavyFlamer

Total 1000

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I don't like the armour, it doesn't really fit the theme and neither Ratlings or Hellhounds or even the Manticore is really going to help all that much against Marines. Also, all his anti tank will be aimed right at them, and you don't have Chimeras for them to be protecting by taking those hits. I think it's much better to just take the armour out.

Assuming you have enough men, I think if you wanna go for this theme go all in. Take the max 6 penal legion squads then build the army around their deficits. The main weakness as you say is anti-tank. I'd go with 2x stormtroopers with melta to suicide against land-raiders or infiltrate forwards if they don't have any death stars. I do like Marbo. He seems to fit very well as "that guy" they fished out of the isolation cells.

Anyway I'd kit the army out like this:

125 CCS with the 3x melta, platoon standard, bodyguard and power fist

480 6x Penal Legion squads

210 2x stormtrooper squads with 2x melta

65 Marbo

120 3x scout sentinels with autocannons

Keep in mind that your army is actually pretty decent in assault. Gang up on enemy troops. It doesn't matter about winning outright. You're looking to grind them down over a few turns since you have such a huge bodycount.

I'd also outflank with the sentinels and at least one of the legionnaire squads to clear out backfield objectives and prevent the sentinels from getting punked by lascannons on turn one. There's a 66% chance you'll be able to bring them in on the same side and they're pretty capable against devastators, thunderfire cannons and the other odds and sods you see lurking in the backfield. I'd probably send Knife Fighters to outflank since they get that extra attack plus rending helps against the 3+ saves. All 3 types have their advantages though.

If you don't have these models then say and maybe we can figure out something else. You may have a really great idea for how your list would work together too, but buying big into the theme I think is a lot of fun.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Korona View Post
    I don't like the armour, it doesn't really fit the theme and neither Ratlings or Hellhounds or even the Manticore is really going to help all that much against Marines. Also, all his anti tank will be aimed right at them, and you don't have Chimeras for them to be protecting by taking those hits. I think it's much better to just take the armour out.

If you don't have these models then say and maybe we can figure out something else. You may have a really great idea for how your list would work together too, but buying big into the theme I think is a lot of fun.

I have to say I was concerned at first by the maticore AP4 making it ineffective against marines. i just used it in a game against marines and saw how truely awsome it is. Its first shot wipes out an 11 man tactical squad including a captain, another shot wrote off another 10 man marine squad. The other two were fired at vehicles one being destroyed and the other one scattered away.

I think I will try out your Idea of going fully into the penal idea and go with 6 squads because they are so fun to play with.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

At the 1500 point level, I would actually run with only the four squads. Penals are fun but they're a cleanup squad; you will need other units to do the bulk of the damage before their arrival.

I'll give two points for thought. The first is that you need to figure out a good way to guard your home objective. A Penal Squad is a bad choice for this due to their fragility and inability to provide supporting fire. Suppose you took a Primaris Psyker for your HQ and ran him with a squad of Veteran "Armsmen" (with shotguns, of course) in a Chimera. That would give you a reasonably durable 'home base' that would fit the Penal theme while still providing significant ranged firepower. You could have a lot of fun working a super-psyker Prison Warden into the background story, too!

Get the points by dropping the Ratlings and/or Marbo.

The other point is that you don't want to deepstrike/outflank too much. We aren't Space Marines; Guard rely heavily on inter-unit cooperation. Rather than Scout Sentinels and Stormtroopers, I'd recommend a more Hellhound-oriented theme. They have the speed to be everywhere as well as the ability to minimize friendly fire, which will be important when the Penals are near their targets. Two Hellhounds with hull multimeltas and either the Russ or Manticore would be good.

Lastly, if you decide to keep the CCS then give serious thought to the Astropath advisor.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread