<3000 Vanilla 2180 points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanilla 2180 points

So here is the design list I have composed so far. I really would appreciate input on weaknesses, poor use of points (if any), and whatever other helpful advice anyone could give. thanks
    PS: can storm bolters for the Sternguard still use special rounds?

HQ
    - Chapter Master w/terminator armor, storm bolter, lightning claw, digital weapons - (180 )
    - Honor Guard w/ chapter banner CHAMP w/ relic blade, digital lasers - (160 )
    - Librarian w/ Epistolary, terminator armor and storm bolter - (180 )

TROOPS
    - Tactical w/ additional 5 marines, flamer, missile launcher SGT w/ chain sword, teleport homer - (185)
    - Tactical w/ additional 5 marines, flamer, missile launcher SGT w/ chain sword, teleport homer - (185)
    - Tactical w/ additional 5 marines, meltagun, heavy bolter SGT w/ storm bolter, power weapon - (200 )

ELITES
    - Terminators w/ assault cannon - (230 )
    - Sternguard - (125)
    - Dreadnought w/ assault cannon, extra armor - (130 )

FAST ATTACK
    - Vanguard w/ jump packs and SGT w/ 2 lightning claws, jump pack - (190 )

HEAVY
    - Devastator Squad w/ 2 lascannons, plasma cannon, heavy bolter SGT w/ power weapon, storm bolter - (225)
    - Predator w/ twin linked las, side las, extra armor, hunter killer missile - (190 )

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

From the looks of your list, your going for a static gunline. These list can be fun, but in objective games (4/6 of the games you play) this list will not be performing to good. If you want this list to be anywhere near competitive you will need to give your units some transports.

A chapter master with an honour guard can be very beasty in CC, but since yours is walking, they would be reduced to a counterattack unit, which does not fit their role. Think about the amount of points your pouring into this unit too. A captain with command squad could be just as effective and might have a bit more potential given their wargear options. No orbital bombardment, but that thing only looks good on paper anyway. Librarian is a very able HQ choice though. Just try and give him a stormshield for a 3++.

your tacs should all get at least a rhino so they get around the field a bit faster. Flamer and ML are a decent load-out. You could take a razorback for these two tacs, leaving the ML with 4 wounds behind while sarge, assault weapon and 3 marines press forward. The sarge could really use a special weapon like a Power weapon or Power Fist though instead of a chainsword. The third tac might best swap its HB for a MM instead an get a rhino for em. not to keen on the stormbolter on the sarge neither.

regular termies would benefit a lot more from taking a Cyclone missile launcher instead of the assault cannon. with heavy 2 and 48" range it has more punch.
    Sternguard are awesome units. In response to your question, if you give them storm bolter, they lose the option of the special issue ammunition. Even at 5 men strong, they can dish out a fair amount of damage. Try and give them some combi weapons though and a special weapon on the sarge if points allow.

Vanguard vets are hard hitters in CC, but with jumppacks they become so very expensive, that I can hardly justify their use in a list. Also, at 5 men strong, they are likely to take some cassualty's by ranged fire before getting into CC which diminishes their effectiveness. They do make for a very good countercharge unit though.

Personally, I'm not keen on taking devs. They are costly (lascannon is cheaper in a tac) with their weapon upgrades and can't split fire like space wolf long fangs. Given their load out, in general two of their weapons will either be out of range or, it won't be worthwhile shooting it at that target. besides, plasma is prone to overheating which can ruin your day. with those points you could really take some other units in this list.
    I'm also having trouble with that lonely predator. a triple las pred is a good tank hunter but is very expensive. Think about taking two AC preds with las spons instead. By doubling up on this kind or unit, you make that your opponent has a harder time claiming coversaves and it increases the effectiveness.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I'd swap the CM for a Captain - those extra 25 points for an Orbital Bombardment will be wasted if you have to walk everywhere - you'd either have to spend a turn standing still or not use the bombardment.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kenpachi7 View Post
    PS: can storm bolters for the Sternguard still use special rounds?
    Nope, it's bolters only. So even though stormbolters are effectively two bolters mashed together, no dice. Combi-weapons work because they are half bolter, half something else.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the responses. and thank you Broadsword for the advice, gives me a lot to mull over.

+ Reply to Thread