<2000 1000 points mech list: - testing Penal Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    5 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

1000 points mech list: - testing Penal Legion

As said in the title, the purpose of this list is to test out a squad of penal legion. Ideally I would have liked another unit, but I only have one ready to be painted at the moment.

I think Penal Legion could be rather underated. The general opinion seems to be that they are too expensive and too random. But they have one ability that leaps out at me:

Scouts. Or rather 'outflank'.

In all the games I've played in the latest addition of 40k I've found outflankers to be invaluable. Hardly anyone uses them (apart from nid players with stealers). The concept of having scoring units outflanking looks to be a very valuable ability, and one that shouldn't be overlooked.

So, I'm aiming to give them a proper testing. Who knows, maybe they will suck as much as people say. But in any case they looks great fun, and Hero, Brains and Fingers from my old Last Chancer set need to get back into action.

Primaris Psyker

Penal Legion Squad

Veteran Squad: 3 meltas, chimera (ML/HF), bolt pistol

Veteran Squad: 3 meltas, chimera (ML/HF), bolt pistol

Veteran Squad: 3 plasma guns, chimera (ML/HF), plasma pistol

Fast Attack

Hellhound: Multimelta

Hellhound: Multimelta

Heavy Support

Lema Russ Battle tank: lascannon

12 kill points which seems a little high for 1000 points, but otherwise I don't think its too bad. Ideally I'd have another Penal Legion squad instead of Marbo and the filling pistols, but that'll have to wait until I get one built up. I did also think about dropping the psyker and a hellhound for a CCS, but I''ll wait for opinions first.

All comments welcome, and I'll let you know within a few weeks (as soon as I can get to GW) how I got on with them.

2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

2. Remove Advertisements

11 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

The bolt pistols look unnecessary, but I assume you have fluffy reasons for them. If you intend to field a penal legion squad, you might want to consider dropping the Primaris for a Lord Commissar to keep them in line. Penal troops and HWSs are the only place I see for them. A big draw back to the penal legion troops is their sub par leadership, the Lord Commissar helps with that.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

16 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

340 (x6)

You will probably need something to screen your main force. Hellhounds can do an alright job at that but you might want to consider something like sentinels. The issue with the Hellhounds is that when they can die they can cause major traffic jams/block up line of sight to the target.

Else your enemy can get at stuff that actually matters with his close combat troops. If you can sacrifice a 35 point sentinel to keep them from your chimeras that's really important.
    Last edited by Korona; January 25th, 2011 at 01:39.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

+ Reply to Thread