<2000 1750 Competitive Mech Guard (Improvements?) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

1750 Competitive Mech Guard (Improvements?)

I've been playing mech guard since october and my original list consisted of...

HQ
    165 – Command Squad: 3x Melta Guns, Astropath and Chimera with Heavy Flamer

TROOPS

X3 155 – Veteran Squad: 3 Meltaguns & Chimera with Heavy Flamer
    170 – Veteran Squad: 3 Plasmaguns & Chimera with Heavy Flamer
    165 – Veteran Squad: Missile Launcher, 3 Sniper Rifles & Chimera with Heavy Bolter & Stubber.

FAST ATTACK

130 – Vendetta
    135 – Hellhound: Heavy Flamer & Smoke Launchers
    135 – Banewolf: Heavy Flamer & Smoke Launchers

HEAVY SUPPORT
    75 – Griffon Mortar
    150 – 2 Hydras
    160 – Manticore: Heavy Flamer

TOTAL PTS: 1750
    TOTAL NO: 56 (13)
    KILL PTS: 18
    I did have a Leman Russ Battle tank and a pair of scout sentinels but the sentinels never did a lot of damage and the Leman Russ was cursed as it rarely managered to hit anything directly. Anyway I went to a competitive tournament two weeks back and realised I need to make a few changes. So here's the updated list...

HQ
    82 – Command Squad:
    Bolt Pistol & 3x Melta Guns
    55 – Chimera: Heavy Flamer
    (Given the new FAQ's effects on outflanking Vendettas, I'll be deploying them with my army or turbo-boosting across the board with the scout move so it makes the Astropath useless and an OOF is 30pts wasted when facing most armies)

TROOPS
    X3 155 – Veteran Squad:
    3 Meltaguns

115 – Veteran Squad: 3 Plasmaguns

100 – Veteran Squad: 3 Meltaguns
    (Dropped the long range objective holder as they rarely did anything useful, now armed with meltaguns they go in the a Vendetta for objective grabbing or tank hunting)

FAST ATTACK
    130 – Vendetta

140 – Vendetta: Heavy Bolters

135 – Banewolf: Heavy Flamer & Smoke Launchers

HEAVY SUPPORT
    160 – Manticore:
    Heavy Flamer

160 – Manticore: Heavy Flamer

150 – 2 Hydras
    (Need more long range AT so replaced the hellhound with a 2nd Vendetta and the used the pts from the astropath and chimera to upgrade the Griffon into another Manticore)

TOTAL PTS: 1747
    TOTAL NO: 55 (12)
    KILL PTS: 17

So what do you think, is it an improvement?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I think that it is an improvement, so long as you manage to stay out from under your own pie plates. you are running very light on troops however.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

He does have 5 veteran squads in the list so I'd say he's good. The list looks pretty darn strong to me. The only things I'd change really only amount to personal taste and preferences so it's not that important.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman506 View Post
    He does have 5 veteran squads in the list so I'd say he's good. The list looks pretty darn strong to me. The only things I'd change really only amount to personal taste and preferences so it's not that important.
    Ah, I missed the x3 on one of the squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

I'm having doubts on using a 2nd manticore, as my first manticore has both good and bad days and I'm concerned if adding a 2nd will really be worth it, this is due to a game yesterday when I only fired 4 templates 3 of which scattered.

So far I see 4 options...
    • A Medusa with a enclosed crew department to give me some long range anti-meq/armour. Plus invest in some heavy bolters for the 2nd vendetta or a 4th meltagun for the command squad.
    • Leman Russ Demolisher with Heavy Flamer
    • Add the Hellhound and create a squadron with the Banewolf, it's a neat little tactic as you but the worst hits on the one you don't need for example fighting marines you don't need the hellhound. Or maybe a squadron of banewolfs as they are useless when immoblised. Then spend 30pts on a officer of the fleet.
    • Or keep the 2nd manticore and carpet bomb hordes and tanks. There is the benefit of both manticores being able to cover one another's vulnerable 24 min range radius.

What do you think?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

Manticores have an inherent degree of variability that you aren't going to get away from. Medusas are better at punching armor, but are better suited to a static posture (like the Manticore). Manticores cannot fire indirectly.

The Demolisher would be a good addition to your essentially mechanized force.

The issue with squadroning different types of hellhound variant is that they must fire at the same target. This makes it inefficient.

The 2nd manticore should even out the variance a bit, but something to remember is that Manticores can fire directly. This means you can shoot at things w/in 24 inches, you just need to be able to draw line of sight.

+ Reply to Thread