Mechanized Quasi-competitive 2000 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Mechanized Quasi-competitive 2000

HQ

CCS: 4x Meltagun, Krak Grenades, Chimera

Troops

Vet Squad: 3x Meltagun, Chimera

Vet Squad: 3x Meltagun, Chimera

Vet Squad: 3x Plasmagun Lascannon, Chimera

Infantry Platoon:
    PCS: 4x Flamer, Krak Grenades, Chimera
    IS: Autocannon, Grenade Launcher, Chimera
    IS: Autocannon, Grenade Launcher, Chimera

Fast Attack

Hellhound: Hull Multimelta

Hellhound: Hull Multimelta

Heavy Support

LRBT: Hull Lascannon

Demolisher: Hull HF

This is an expansion of my typical 1850 list. Comments and feedback are welcome.

Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Hmm, interesting take on the HWS Veterans. Makes sense actually without Vendettas, Hydras, or a mess of infantry squads. Looks like it could work quite well, though I always prefer keeping at least one or two units around that can outflank once I hit 1750.

I can't see any glaring improvements to be made, let us know how the las/plas vets work out.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I posted it late last night, so it looks like I missed the subforum hehe. I've found the vet config with the lascannons to be viable for objective sitters. The Chimera gives late game mobility and added survivability if someone feels cheeky enough to try and wreck it. In my experience 8+ chimeras allows you to bottle-neck the terrain pretty well in addition to the prospect of seeding the board with protective craters to huddle in, should they explode. This is especially helpful if the CCS is close enough to employ the jack in the box tactics.

The main difference between my regular tourney list and this one is one las/plas vet squad. The excess 40 points usually turn into a Scout Sentinel with an autocannon. In general it performs well.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Vets can get three specials AND a heavy??? I thought they were limited to a total of three weapons of any type...wow. I don't play vets, so I'm not 100% sure, but a lascannon and three plasma guns in the same squad seems monstrous...almost like the IG version of a devastator squad. Anyway, I'd take a third russ in there somehow. I get nine chimeras, two hellhounds, and three russes for 1850... I wonder if you're trying to do too much here... It looks like you're trying to be elite and be a horde at the same time, which will in all likelihood prevent you from *quite* accomplishing either goal.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marnepup View Post
    Vets can get three specials AND a heavy??? I thought they were limited to a total of three weapons of any type...wow. I don't play vets, so I'm not 100% sure, but a lascannon and three plasma guns in the same squad seems monstrous...almost like the IG version of a devastator squad. Anyway, I'd take a third russ in there somehow. I get nine chimeras, two hellhounds, and three russes for 1850... I wonder if you're trying to do too much here... It looks like you're trying to be elite and be a horde at the same time, which will in all likelihood prevent you from *quite* accomplishing either goal.
    Vet squads can be quite mean, but yes, they make take a vet HW team and it does not cost them a special weapon to do it, further they can also take a Chimera. My plasma vet squads run about 190 points, so it isn't cheap. That said, the plasma and lascannon see significant benefits from BS4, and the Chimera swarm allows significant alterations to the board terrain whether by vehicle, wreck or crater. This allows the selective creation of traffic choke points and the creation of shooty kill zones.

The basic play of this list is that melta squads advance with close support from the Hellhounds and Demolisher, The plasma squads take positions in the midfield, and the platoon and the LRBT take a rear guard position. Any given element should have fire support from at least one, but prefereably two other elements at any given point in time. As transports are wrecked or destroyed they become blocking terrain or cover/fire points. Kill prioirty is generally transports, troops, fast attack, and then eveything else. exceptions are made as needed. It generally works well.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I can definitely see the benefit in BS4... My army functions in a similar way as yours, except that I substitute command squads for vet squads. At 1850, I have a "maneuver element" consisting of a demolisher, two hellhounds, two PCSs with 2x melta and hull-HF-chimmie, and a CCS with 3x plasma and hull-HF-chimmie, and a fire support element consisting of six chimmies that each have an autocannon or a missile launcher in back, and a pair of russes with hull lascannons. Six HBs, six multilasers, three autocannons, three missile launchers, two lascannons, and two battle cannons makes for a lot of dakka...and since the chimmies are scoring, a couple of those may move out around turn 4 to secure midfield objectives.

At 2000, I'd probably put more meltas in the PCSs (they only have two each, due to points constraints), put XA on the maneuver element, take an officer of the fleet, and maybe put sponsons on my demolisher.
    Last edited by Marnepup; February 3rd, 2011 at 19:56.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

*moved to the army list section*
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

I used to take Autocannons with my Veterans, with the idea that once they got to a point, they'd dig in (as they would be coming in via Vendettas, and thusly be my forward point sitters). I'd be interesting to see how these guys do, the Chimera would be a pillbox of doom.

6 S7 Shots. 1 S9 shot, 3 S6 shots. Nothing to sneeze at, thats for sure, but I'm not totally sold on it *just* yet. Let us know how it does after a few more games, then you might have a convert to use them now and again.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

I have had good luck with it so far vs Space Wolves, Orks, and an Emo Marine Player with an unhealthy love of Mephiston. Though the most recent game with the Emo I managed to bait Mephiston into assaulting and breaking a dismounted chimelta squad, leaving him an overlapping 24" bubble of the 3 plasmavet squads. He swept the melta vets, but feeding him mass AP2 death was worth it. My suspicions is that he thought he'd be safe in the chimelta vet's crater (former Chimera). "Fire on My Target!" is just something people don't expect hehe.
    Last edited by IronWeevil; February 17th, 2011 at 15:46.

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

Were the plasmavets dismounted then?
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast