<2000 Catachan IG 1500pts, my first IG army list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catachan IG 1500pts, my first IG army list

As you can see from the title this is my first IG army list. The idea is for a themed (sort of) force including all the elements that I love about IG as well as the Catachans in particular. This is not a tourney list at the moment, but may end up there, but for general play.

I have been a long time reader and hope that I have picked up a few things from other people lists. Please note that I am not buying any more vehicles, just a couple of figures to fill out the final slots for this force.

Your input and ideas are all welcome.

HQ

CCS
    Commander, Power Fist, Boltgun
    4 x Melta
    Chimera

ELITES

Sly Mambo

TROOPS

PCS 1
    Commander Boltgun
    Vox

Infantry Squad 1
    Vox
    Flamer
    Missile Launcher

Infantry Squad 2
    Vox
    Flamer
    Missile Launcher

Heavy Weapons Squad 1
    Mortars x 3

PCS 2
    Commander Boltgun
    Vox

Infantry Squad 3
    Vox
    Flamer
    Missile Launcher

Infantry Squad 4
    Vox
    Flamer
    Missile Launcher

Veteran Squad 1
    Sergeant boltpistol
    Melta x 3
    Chimera

Veteran Squad 2
    Harkar
    Sniper x 3
    Autocannon

FAST ATTACK

1 x Hellhound (hull flamer)
    Smoke Lauchers

HEAVY SUPPORT

LR Battle Tank 1
    Hull Lascannon
    Hvy Bolter Sponsons
    Dozer

LR Battle Tank 2
    Hull Lascannon
    Hvy Bolter Sponsons
    Dozer

TOTAL 1496

I gave the LR's dozer blades to match their jungle requirements, whilst I thought that the hellhound could just burn its way through the jungle and the chimeras are both amphibious and unstoppable

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

If you take vox in squads at least add them to the CCS and PCS too. I would drop the vox entirely.

HQ: Good. Plasma may be better allowing the chimera to stay back giving decent BS fire support and issuing orders. A regimet standard may be useful for morale. Ditch the PF.

Elites: Great.

Troops: Arm the PCS with 2-4 flamers each. Arm squads with AC/GL or ML/GL for better ranged firepower. Vets are fine but look at adding camo cloaks to harkers unit.

Fast: good.

Heavy: I would take 2 demolishers with hull lascannon and no sponsons. Basic russ with plasma sponsons make decent static fire support tanks too.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

It looks like a fluffy list. It's playable, but not optimal in my opinion.

I think that you can safely lose the HB sponsons on the tanks. They are either wasted points or an open invitation to sodomy with powerklaws. Neither of these is a good option, so I strongly recommend ditching them.

Drop the sniper rifles from harker's squad. They are heavy weapons so you can't move and fire them. Their performance is too variable to justify their use. I'd suggest either plasmas or grenade launchers.

Naked PCSs are painfully useless. Find the points somewhere to give them flamers or grenade launchers. Losing the vox network might be a place to start.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments. Yes, it supposed to be a fluffy list as well as being playable, and I agree my biggest concern with the list as it stands is the naked PCS squads, I am going to need to find the points to put 2 flamers in each. Whilst I love the Hvy bolter sponsons on the LR's maybe they go to make room.

The other items I might change is the vox network and the dozers on the LR's, but both are very fluffy. I can't imagine the LR even moving on a deathworld without them (as noted in my original post) and the vox network seems almost a requirement for fighting in the jungle and getting that fire support from mortars etc. as well as getting orders from the LT.

The idea behind the harkers squad is to try and make a good objective sitting squad, and I love Catachan snipers ever since reading about them in the old Catachan Codex, so I need to work them in somehow and I need the 4 BS on them

Anyway thank you again for the input, I will work on the list on the weekend and see how I can rejig it.

+ Reply to Thread