<2000 1500pt IG Mech list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt IG Mech list

first time newcomer to 40k here and decided to take the plunge (with my wallet too) into an IG army. This army list really does rely on strength of numbers, redundancy and the mobileness afforded to them by Chimeras and Vendettas. Basically, I'd have my mechanized infantry platoons advancing on to objectives with the platoon command squads staying back a bit to get the most out of orders. I then have two veteran/melta squads in Vendetta gunships as a rapid response force, dealing with any high-priority targets (while being a high-priority target themselves, hopefully drawing away fire).

I took power fists for the command squads because I believe they might come useful when the enemy engages me in CC and I also took Bastonne because well giving orders to a veteran squad zipping around in Vendettas far away from any command squad seems cool, even if it's only to his squad.

I'm trying to take the list to 2000 points but don't know where else to expand the list. Should I take another infantry platoon, add an additional infantry squad each to my current two platoons or invest in some tanks/arty? Or hell is there anything I should do to my current list?

Oh and I added carapace armour to my veterans because I'm guessing my opponents won't like meltaguns deepstriking behind their lines.

Just had a look around. I've got around 70-75 models in this army and I then had a look at the other army lists posted here and I'm usually outnumbering them from 1.5 to 2 times their numbers. I'm not sure if I have the numbers to absorb an enemy attack without severely damaging my army's capability. What do?

Total points cost 1470

HQ Company Command Squad Total 175
    - Regimental Standard
    - Voxcaster
    - Power fist
    - 2 x Flamers
    - 1 x Heavy Flamer
    - Chimera Armoured Transport
    - Hull-mounted heavy flamer

Troops Infantry Platoon Total 340
    Troops Platoon Command Squad
    - Voxcaster
    Troops Infantry Squad
    - Autocannon
    - Grenade launcher
    - Voxcaster
    Troops Infantry Squad
    - Autocannon
    - Grenade launcher
    - Voxcaster

Troops Infantry Platoon Total 340
    Troops Platoon Command Squad
    - Voxcaster
    Troops Infantry Squad
    - Autocannon
    - Grenade launcher
    - Voxcaster
    Troops Infantry Squad
    - Autocannon
    - Grenade launcher
    - Voxcaster
    - Hull-mounted heavy flamer 0

Troops Veteran Squad Total 190
    - Sergeant Bastonne
    - 3 x Meltaguns
    - Grenadiers (Carapace Armour)

Troops Veteran Squad Total 145
    - Power fist
    - 3 x Meltaguns
    - Grenadiers (Carapace Armour)

Vendetta Gunship Squadron 280
    - 2 x Vendetta gunships
    - 2 x Heavy bolters

Last edited by Ausops; February 24th, 2011 at 06:53. Reason: carapace

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Drop all manpack heavy flamers as they are too expensive. I'm against putting flamers on BS4 models so I would take GLs or plasma guns. All the hull HF will be enough template goodness. I would drop your entire vox network as all your chaps are mounted and you cannot give orders to units inside chimeras. PF is a waste but looks cood on the officer.

Troops: Vets are better in chimeras than standard platoons. 3 meltas or 3 plasmas are great in a chimera. If you want a platoon then take PCS in chimera with 4 flamers and 2 squads on foot with AC+GL and stick them in cover near a home objective. SWS with 3 flamers or 3 democharges are fun in vendettas but meltavets are great too. Bastonne isn't really worth the upgrade.

Fast: Good.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

4. ThanksAusops thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few questions if you don't mind.

the GW guy at the store said vox-casters were pretty essential. I'm not saying I doubt you but my army will be Chimera-less until I finish the infantry platoons. Also, is there any concerns with infantry squads being left behind while the PCS zips around in a Chimera? And so veterans are better in Chimeras than Vendettas? Or should I give them both transport options? i.e. give them dedicated Chimeras as well as the Vendettas?

Also numbers wise, what's the biggest amount of models (soldiers, not vehicles) you've seen taken off in one turn? Do you reckon I should get another infantry platoon, buff up the numbers of the existing ones or invest in some armour/artillery?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Voxcasters were useful in 4th Ed. They are largely wasted in 5th in my opinion. Commissars are a better investment for umounted Infantry Platoons. It provided Ld 9 and stubborn and a reroll.

PCSs are uniquely well suited to suicide missions. Most of your better orders are restricted to senior officers (the ones in your CCS). This lets you load them up with meltas or flamers and go haring off to "take that hill!" They can also make fair speed bumps to slow down the advance on your lines and allow you more time to shoot the offending xeno/heretic scum.

Vets should almost always be mounted. I favor chimeras for their cost and their five fire points. Three assault weapons and a pair of flashlights from inside the airconditioned comfort of a chimera is enough to distract most opponents from more important things (MEQS get testy about getting meltaed or plasmaed). Chimeras also rock because wrecks and craters offer cover. So even in death, Chimeras let you shape the battle field ( you are modeling craters aren't you? ).

Vendettas are mean units, and can be handy to scoop up a dismounted squad that has some place better to be, but I prefer the Hellhound for most purposes and throw a few lascannons in my squads. The big downside to Vendettas is their large target status. They can be pretty much shot from anywhere on the table.

For blob squads, 20 minimum up to 40 max. Manuevering 50 man platoons is a headache. Artillery is good for static posture. If you plan on chasing your opponent, Russes are a better bet.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

7. ThanksAusops thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commissars? I'd originally avoided them because I'm doing a gue'vasa themed IG list- Tau would probably treat morale failures with re-education/indoctrination on how to properly serve the Greater Good, not just kill someone. Plus there are no Tau commissars..

So really, platoon command squads ARE a capable fighting force (one-use perhaps?) that should best be supported by their infantry squads?

And cool, I might look into dropping the entire-mechanized idea for a while and blobbing up my infantry platoons.

Thanks for the advice

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

If you take 30-50 man platoons all grouped together in a single unit then adding a commisar and one vox caster makes sense. The 35 point inventment pays off as the front rank fire order on a 50 man unit really stings and the reroll stuborn is great.

Making this investment in 10 man squads quickly becomes very expensive and you don't get the return. Better to just spend those points on more men.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread