<2000 1,500pt IG footslogging list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1,500pt IG footslogging list

Howdy fellow IG players

I built this army with the intention of having a strong infantry backbone with vehicles for support rather than serving as the basis of my army. What vehicles I do have serve to support my infantry in achieving their objectives by fulfilling the role of anti-tank and anti-MEQ/TEQ. While my guardsmen do the brunt of the heavy work and make the best possible use of orders they can.

Here is a breakdown of my army

Company command Squad - carapace, 4 meltas, powerfist, 125pts

5 Ratlings - 50pts

Platoon 1 - 260pts
    • PCS - 3 Grenade launchers, Vox caster
    • Infantry squad - 2 Grenade launchers, Vox caster
    • HW Squad - 3 Autocannons, Krak grenades
    Platoon 2 - 260pts
    • PCS - 3 flamers, Vox caster
    • HW Squad - 3 Heavybolters, Krak grenades
    Veterans - carapace, 3 plasma guns, chimera, 200pts

Armoured sentinel 1 - Plasma cannon, Smoke launchers, 80pts
    Armoured sentinel 2 - Plasma cannon, Smoke launchers, 80pts
    Armoured sentinel 3 - Plasma cannon, Smoke launchers, 80pts

Leman Russ 1 - Lascannon, Heavybolters, 185pts
    Leman Russ 2 - Lascannon, Heavybolters, 185pts

My ideal strategy with this list is to keep my infantry mobile while having them supported by a secondary gun line of heavy weapons and tanks. My base infantry are equiped with grenade launchers allowing them lay wounds on infantry while advancing, and glance lighter vehicles when fired en-mass. While the sentinels and veterans move up the flanks and target MEQs and TEQs. The former then attempts to tarpit any assaulting units that get too close, while my rattlings attempt to pin them. All the while my tanks and HW squads are hopefully positioned in cover and retaining line of sight to the enemy.

I have used similar versions of this strategy in 1,000 point games with reasonable success against tau and marine players. But I am interested to see what more experienced guard players think. I would very much appreciate any constructive criticism you guys can give, so long as you keep in mind that I am on a fairly tight budget right now.

Last edited by Branflakes; February 26th, 2011 at 23:14.
    "Foolish are those who fear nothing, yet claim to know everything."
    "Brave are those who know everything, yet fear nothing"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Branflakes View Post
    Company command Squad - carapace, 4 meltas, powerfist, 125pts

5 Ratlings - 50pts

Platoon 1 - 260pts
    • PCS - 3 Grenade launchers, Vox caster
    • HW Squad - 3 Autocannons, Krak grenades
    Platoon 2 - 260pts
    • PCS - 3 flamers, Vox caster
    • HW Squad - 3 Heavybolters, Krak grenades
    Veterans - carapace, 3 plasma guns, chimera, 200pts

Armoured sentinel 1 - Plasma cannon, Smoke launchers, 80pts
    Armoured sentinel 2 - Plasma cannon, Smoke launchers, 80pts
    Armoured sentinel 3 - Plasma cannon, Smoke launchers, 80pts

Leman Russ 1 - Lascannon, Heavybolters, 185pts
    Leman Russ 2 - Lascannon, Heavybolters, 185pts
    Okay, here we go.

- Only one Melta unit worries me. The fact that it's your CCS (without a transport to boot) worries me more. If your opponent drops a Land Raider on the board, I think you're going to struggle. This unit is relatively easy to take out (one Heavy Flamer would do it) and as a result is not a viable counter to AV13+. Powerfist is a nice touch, but ultimately not very effective.

- You cannot have two Grenade Launchers in an Infantry Squad. The maximum is 1 special weapon and 1 heavy weapon.

- Krak Grenades on your HW Squads are a waste of points. If a vehicle or walker gets close enough for you to be able to use them, the unit is toast anyway.

- Smoke Launchers on the Sentinels are also a little superfluous, I think. You want these to be laying down covering fire every turn and the range of the Plasma Cannon lets you do this anyway.

Overall, I think it's a decent list, but against an enemy playing a decent mechanised list it will be an uphill struggle. You lack enough reliable long-ranged anti-transport weapons as well as close-range anti-tank. Your single Autocannon squad is extremely vulnerable and Leman Russes are anti-infantry workhorses, a single Lascannon shot is a waste of a Battle Cannon. For a footslogging list, I think you lack enough Infantry Squads to make it a credible threat. Perhaps consider shaving some points off throughout the list and investing in a few more, adding a Commissar and fielding some large blob squads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a feeling I was lacking anti tank. I will probably shave off points by droping the second grenade launcher in each squad, getting rid of smoke launchers and taking out the krak grenades. And use those points to buy a chimera for my hq and possibly a second vet squad. I will likely swap out the heavybolters for more autocannons aswell.

here is a possible improved list I could use if I bought a second chimera

Company command Squad - Carapace, 4 Meltas, Powerfist, Chimera, 180pts

5 Ratlings - 50pts

Platoon 1 - 245pts

* PCS - 3 Grenade launchers, Vox caster
    * Infantry squad - Grenade launcher, Vox caster
    * HW Squad - 3 Autocannons

Platoon 2 - 245pts

* PCS - 3 flamers, Vox caster
    * HW Squad - 3 Autocannons

Veterans - carapace, 3 plasma guns, Chimera 200pts

Armoured sentinel 1 - Plasma cannon, 75pts
    Armoured sentinel 2 - Plasma cannon, 75pts
    Armoured sentinel 3 - Plasma cannon, 75pts

Leman Russ 1 - Heavybolters, 170pts
    Leman Russ 2 - Heavybolters, 170pts
    Last edited by Branflakes; February 27th, 2011 at 00:18.

Senior Member Hive Fleet Macarbe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

If your running a footslog list I wouldnt take the command squad in a chimera. I see where the above poster is getting at, but I dont think thats the solution. Drop the chimera and spend the points on some more meltas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hive Fleet Macarbe View Post
    If your running a footslog list I wouldnt take the command squad in a chimera. I see where the above poster is getting at, but I dont think thats the solution. Drop the chimera and spend the points on some more meltas.
    I wasn't suggesting he take a Chimera though. I was just pointing out that he only had one Melta squad. In fact, if you're going for a footslogging list I would ditch transports altogether and work up a bit of an 'walking horde'. I've been playing around with the basic structure of this list (two platoons, sentinel support, two Leman Russes) because it seems you are on a bit of a budget and like playing with the models you have, and I've come up with the list below. I'm not sure how open you are to changing your list around, but it's just a suggestion.

Company Command Squad
    2 Meltaguns, 1 Flamer, Vox, Camo Cloaks, Officer of the Fleet
    120pts

Platoon A: 395pts
    - PCS with 1 Flamer, 3 Meltagun
    - IS with Meltagun, Power Weapon, Vox, Commissar
    - IS with Meltagun, Power Weapon
    - HWS with 3 Autocannon
    - HWS with 3 Autocannon

- HWS with 3 Autocannon
    - HWS with 3 Autocannon

2 x Scout Sentinels with Autocannons 80

Leman Russ with Hull Heavy Flamer, Heavy Bolter Sponsons 170

1500/1500

Basically, you swap the Armored Sentinels for twice the amount of Scout Sentinels and march these in a big screen in front of your Infantry, giving them all cover saves. Or, if the situation dictates, you can outflank them for some side/rear armour shots. You 'blob' your Infantry Squads together, giving you one 21-man Squad with Vox, Commissar, 2 Power Weapons and 2 Meltaguns which are hella unlikely to run away thanks to the Commisssar. Your PCS Squads provide fire support, while your HWS Squads sit backfield in cover scoring any objectives.

The Leman Russes can play dual roles here, either supporting the main advance or babysitting the HWS Squads if your opponent is aggressively approaching your deployment zone. Heavy Flamers allow them to blast infantry out of cover before laying down Heavy Bolter fire. Your CCS supports the main advance behind the Sentinels, Camo Cloaks giving them a 3+ cover save while they throw Orders around. Officer of the Fleet isn't strictly necessary, but I like how he messes with your opponents planning. Anything to throw him off game a little is welcome in my book.

All in all, you're fielding 18 Autocannons, 12 Meltaguns and a ton of anti-infantry firepower, together with a large number of scoring units, tarpits (Sentinels) and two aggressive objective-grabbing blobs.
    Last edited by Ravendove; February 27th, 2011 at 10:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendove View Post

Company Command Squad
    2 Meltaguns, 1 Flamer, Vox, Camo Cloaks, Officer of the Fleet
    120pts

- HWS with 3 Autocannon
    - HWS with 3 Autocannon

- HWS with 3 Autocannon
    - HWS with 3 Autocannon

I actually rather like the structure of this list but there are a few issues I have with it.

Firstly, it comes across as being extremely biased towards light mechanized armies. Which really bothers me considering that my main opponents run very MEQ and TEQ heavy lists. 18 auto cannons would be extra killy against orks and mech guard but they lack any real benefit other than that. I suppose fired en mass they would easily lay enough wounds to decimate a squad of MEQs. But the massive points inefficiency would overshadow any benefit they may have. This would probably be a role better left to my tanks. The fact of the matter is I doubt this list would be capable of effectively dealing with Heavier units. I can't afford to rely on flimsy BS3 PCS squads as my only source of heavy anti tank, and the lack or ranged ap2 weapons leaves my lines extremely vulnerable to TEQs.

Secondly, your special weapon placement seems to be a bit screwy. A flamer in my HQ is a massive waste of BS4 that I would rather leave for meltas or plasmas. While the aforementioned have always proven to be a poor investment on BS3 platforms. I prefer to keep expensive weapons in my HQ and Veteran squads where they can reap the full benefits of BS4. while keeping my infantry platoons cheap with flamers and grenade launchers. I would defiantly keep the commissar blob squads, but either drop the power weapons or upgrade to power fists. For 20 points a squad I just can't justify the 2 S3 no save attacks when they will likely get their asses handed back to them in combat anyway. I think those points would be better suited for buying more plasma weapons so I can keep my lines from being assaulted by high save units in the first place.

Thirdly, you also haven't fully considered how tight of a budget I am on right now. At 30 bucks a pop, I can hardly afford to be going out and buying several more sentinel and heavy weapon kits. I would rather stick with what I have. If I had to I could maybe spare another $60 towards more infantry but that is it.

All in all, There is a lot I will probably take from your list. I never really considered taking a commissar before, but I can certainly see the benefit of having one now. Also I will drop the hull lascannons on my Russes and leave them to anti-infantry duty. While I'll leave ranged anti-tank to my heavy weapon squads and invest in some more meltas. I will likely drop the sentinel shield and just stick with my original idea of mounting them with plasma cannons and probably keep the chimera for my HQ as a mobile command bunker. As for officer of the fleet, I may take him depending on how many points I have leftover.
    Last edited by Branflakes; February 28th, 2011 at 17:14.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

545 (x8)

I actually rather like the structure of this list but there are a few issues I have with it.

Firstly, it comes across as being extremely biased towards light mechanized armies. Which really bothers me considering that my main opponents run very MEQ and TEQ heavy lists. 18 auto cannons would be extra killy against orks and mech guard but they lack any real benefit other than that. I suppose fired en mass they would easily lay enough wounds to decimate a squad of MEQs. But the massive points inefficiency would overshadow any benefit they may have. This would probably be a role better left to my tanks. The fact of the matter is I doubt this list would be capable of effectively dealing with Heavier units. I can't afford to rely on flimsy BS3 PCS squads as my only source of heavy anti tank, and the lack or ranged ap2 weapons leaves my lines extremely vulnerable to TEQs.

Secondly, your special weapon placement seems to be a bit screwy. A flamer in my HQ is a massive waste of BS4 that I would rather leave for meltas or plasmas. While the aforementioned have always proven to be a poor investment on BS3 platforms. I prefer to keep expensive weapons in my HQ and Veteran squads where they can reap the full benefits of BS4. while keeping my infantry platoons cheap with flamers and grenade launchers. I would defiantly keep the commissar blob squads, but either drop the power weapons or upgrade to power fists. For 20 points a squad I just can't justify the 2 S3 no save attacks when they will likely get their asses handed back to them in combat anyway. I think those points would be better suited for buying more plasma weapons so I can keep my lines from being assaulted by high save units in the first place.

Thirdly, you also haven't fully considered how tight of a budget I am on right now. At 30 bucks a pop, I can hardly afford to be going out and buying several more sentinel and heavy weapon kits. I would rather stick with what I have. If I had to I could maybe spare another $60 towards more infantry but that is it.

All in all, There is a lot I will probably take from your list. I never really considered taking a commissar before, but I can certainly see the benefit of having one now. Also I will drop the hull lascannons on my Russes and leave them to anti-infantry duty. While I'll leave ranged anti-tank to my heavy weapon squads and invest in some more meltas. I will likely drop the sentinel shield and just stick with my original idea of mounting them with plasma cannons and probably keep the chimera for my HQ as a mobile command bunker. As for officer of the fleet, I may take him depending on how many points I have leftover.
    Thanks for your comments and analysis. They were, of course, only suggestions and I'm glad to have at least contributed to your army. Let me address some of the issues you highlighted.

Yes, the list is geared towards mechanised armies, but this is because those tend to be extremely common - even MEQ armies tend to field Rhinos and Razorbacks to increase mobility. But there is no reason you can't swap Melta for Plasma if this suits your local metagame, of course. However, Autocannons are for more than just anti-transport duty - considering the Plasmagun's general effectiveness only within 12" the Autocannon will get on average between 4-6 more shots before the enemy gets within close range. Being cheaper to field on more numerous platforms means they will - as you rightly said - decimate infantry, even infantry with a 3+ save.

The most effective method of dealing with Terminators in my opinion is through mass firepower, which Autocannons should accomplish - especially if those Terminators are footslogging. Even Plasma weaponry cannot deny them their 3+ Inv save -- or do your opponents field mostly shooty Terminators? You also have a fair emount of Meltaguns/Flamers to help if they get close.

The special weapon placement is deliberate. Flamers add duality to a unit, being well placed to add an anti-infantry punch if no melta-targets are near. For the same reason a Heavy Flamer should always accompany the Chimera's Multilaser, it's often a good idea to give infantry the same backup. Without flamers, how are you going to achieve BURNINATION???

It also serves to make the HQ a less obvious target. If this 5-man squad walks around in the open with 4 x Plasmaguns, you can bet it will be one of the first things your opponent removes from the tabletop, meaning you lose out on the Orders. However your reasoning is sound - the BS4 should be taken advantage of, but this makes two things necessary: transport and multiple targets. If you only have two Chimeras on the table, both with your expensive BS4 Plasma squads, you suffer heavily from the "all eggs in two baskets" case and are easily disabled by the opponent. Don't get me wrong, I often field a CCS with a ton of Plasma/Melta in Chimera, but I back them up with at least 3-4 other similar Chimera-mounted squads to ensure their job gets done even if they fail.

Budget is of course an issue. It all depends on whether you're intending to build an actual footslogging list, or if "mostly footslogging" is simply what you've been reduced to because of budget and existing models. It's hard to critique a list and suggest alterations if the poster is unable to action them, we're only then able to say "Well, this might work but so and so probably won't".

So to summarise overall, keeping your tight budget in mind:
    - Commissars are great, but only really worth it if you 'blob' squads, at which point they make excellent tarpit units
    - Keeping Russes on solid anti-infantry duty is a good idea
    - Plasma-equipped Armoured Sentinels are okay, but don't expect too much of them... they're just very expensive for what they might accomplish. You would need to use them very aggressively, don't be afraid to lose them, throw them at the enemy to old him off from your more effective units.
    - I would definitely invest in a 2nd Chimera for your CCS. In which case, drop the Carapace and Power Fist in my opinion. Use these and the Vets as aggressive Plasma gunners with the superior BS4.
    - You could even convert the Vets for a 2nd CCS, giving you more Plasma for a slightly lower cost. (165 vs 170pts, with 1 additional Plasmagun). With a Chimera, less bodies is less of an issue.
    - Consider using your two PCS squads as Melta units because just one is not enough. 4 Meltaguns, even at BS3, is nothing to sniff at. But they will be vulnerable so you'll need to use your Infantry and cover to screen them until they're ready to strike.
    - Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the feedback. I will definatly keep a lot of your suggestions in mind when I go to create the final incarnation of my army. As you said, at this point I think I am just going for a footslogging army with mech support rather than a pure footslogging army. I will probably invest in a second chimera. If I were to convert my vets into a second CCS like you suggested I would also be able to convert the leftover men into commisars using HQ bits. I still have my doubts about the bs3 meltas but I suppose I could give them a try.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

545 (x8)

I still have my doubts about the bs3 meltas but I suppose I could give them a try.
    Power through numbers - it's the Imperial Guard way!

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Ravendove did a great job in his post (+rep there).

As for the money thing, well it is hard to overcome the vehicle deficit, but converting Meltaguns is easy (or just buy the bits). Even easier is to paint your grenade launchers differently and tell your opponent something like, "The ones with the flames on the barrel are loaded with Melta-Shells."
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast